Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6
have you still got the tps from your other engine and the bit that's cracked on it too that the map sensor plugs into?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
with the sun roof thing do you mean the light is filling up with water? I have the same issue and was told the ariel just needs sealing up and it should stop that. havnt actaully got round to doing it yet. TBH might just use some silicon sealer around it.
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
yeah if it's not the sunroof drain holes it'll be the ariel, take it off, clean all around, silicone and replace, don't do the ariel up uber tight though or it pulls the base out of shape and will leak again . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
You're on solid mounts at the rear, yeah? In my mind that only leaves the options of something loose or knackered shocks, would guess the former from the odd geometry changes you've mentioned. Is it possible that the solid mounts mean more vibrations going through the shell, therefore more parts working their way loose...? Don't know, probably chatting crap, will be watching with interest fella.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ban? Can only warn Tongue

Seriousness The throttle issue, if you have time take the inlet off and clean it out, when I did mine it was amazing until I ran it through a flood and bent some valves haha.

The knocking from the rear will be the shocks. Give them a check over make sure they are nice and tight, can see your gaz rears fecking up already.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
@ Jenk; not done the Temp Sensor yet; to my mind it wouldn't cause the issues I'm having at the moment? Last time you suggested it it was cause I'd not plugged the TPS in after putting the inlet mani back on!! lol

@ Kwik; yeah the tps off my old engine is already off and in the glovebox waiting till I get a minute to sort it.

@Matt & Ben; Thanks, will take a look. Not really paid it too much attention until recently; but on top of everything else it's just getting me down.

@Poodle; I've not got solid mounts mate. Stock ones. In fairness they're probably pretty tired... The shocks however have done about 4k so far since new!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
when i was putting on the gti6 beam on mine one of the mounts was f...ed and was moving in my hand and was causing the rear to creak bad
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
hahaha you cant ban people ed!

I never confimed that the tps was giving accurate readings. Just that it was registering idle, open throttle and WOT. Are you sure theres a throttle issue there or you just got the idea into your head before the map and now your just imagining it (not a dig, that happens a lot!)

Did you not fit them gay super 4 spark plugs a few weeks back? These engines dont really like anything other than either standard NGKs or the 3 point pug ones.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2012, 05:05 PM)Niall Wrote: Did you not fit them gay super 4 spark plugs a few weeks back? These engines dont really like anything other than either standard NGKs or the 3 point pug ones.

Not true, had the Bosch 4 sparks on my old Astor 6, ran a treat. Got them in the Rallye now, also working a treat!! Tongue
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Small update;

changed the tps after work, not a blind bit of difference. I feel like torching it now tbh.

Niall I'm running ngk iridiums. Same as my other engine that ran like a dream on them. I'm definitely not imagining it; it's got masses of engine braking off the throttle, and the revs drop so quickly at the moment, coupled with really sluggish throttle response

EDIT: I don't suppose the fuel filter/lift pump could be faulty; ie not supplying enough fuel?
Thanks given by:
probably needs a run with pp2k recording live data to properly determine a dodgy sensor somewhere. i suggest doing that before thinking of other things
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
is the small pipe to the fuel regulator connected or has some troll pulled it off??
Thanks given by:
As much as we troll him we wouldn't go removing sensors or anything like that off his car.

We'd just hit the inertia switch so it doesn't start in the first place.
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2012, 07:12 PM)samass Wrote: probably needs a run with pp2k recording live data to properly determine a dodgy sensor somewhere. i suggest doing that before thinking of other things

Probably the best thing tbh. I'll just end up throwing more and more money at it without getting to the bottom of the issue....
Praying Niall will have some time on Saturday afternoon/evening to pop down so I can take him out for a drive and we can really have a look at what's going on...
Thanks given by:
yeah i'd say so man, and youll only replace shit and then it not fix it and it frustrate you more and more

Thanks given by:
Do these engines have a similar set up to the 1.6 stepper motor for the idle speed? Cos until I cleaned the motor on mine, it had very similar symptoms, also cut out a few times.

Just blasted it out with carb cleaner, and soaked the air filter in redex then took it for a thrash lol Seemed to fix it, never had the same issue again!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
sure you havent left the handbrake on Tongue

I can definately check it if you drive up to me. Tbh ed im struggling for money this month anyway thanks to the tax man so i cant just be wasting petrol/derv. Tbh i dont see why people of late seem to think shell give me free fuel!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You're the oc taxi aren't you? Serving playzone goers since.... Well since 2months ago!

On a serious note, ill take you up on that mate, possibly Saturday evening if that's ok? I'll have to shoot off fairly quickly afterwards as I've got a dinner to attend, but I'd be forever grateful if you can get it diagnosed!!
Thanks given by:
yeah im about to do it all of saturday providing its only a 10-15 minute drive.

Being 100% serious here, are you sure your handbrakes not binding or something? Can you smell hot brakes after a drive?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Now you mention that, Ed you did just have your brakes worked on at the back didn't you? Could be the culprit!
Thanks given by:
1. Sunroof fills up the interior light 'dimple' thingee. Blocked drains from the roof, which I need to sort out but haven't had a chance
Probably not sunroof, most likely aerial, needs sealing around hole.
2. Clonking from the suspension.
Usual checking balljoints, droplinks,, wishbones, suspension top mounts.
3. Frankly worrying changes in suspension geometry when crossing white lines/camber changes. far more pronounced than before…
Linked to above.
4. Too much engine movement
Solid mounts if you want less of that...
5. f*cking annoying rattles from the back of the car when driving. Not located these yet for obvious reasons.
Most likely the most foreword of the rear axle mounts. cause a thudding under braking, again you could go solid...
6. The throttle issue - Its a petrol, should of bought a derv Tongue
Thanks given by:
Scott & Niall; nah definitely not the brakes. It's 100% engine related, the revs drop far too quickly, there's a lot of engine braking, and it still feels numb and a bit lumpy on Part throttle.

Sweeny the issue I have is I've replaced both wishbones, track rod ends, topmounts and suspension units for new in the last 5k or less.
Thanks given by:
I woukdnt write off the new parts on the wishbones, best to get under with a pry bar and start trying to move things. Might be faulty parts...
Does she tramline at all?

Thanks given by:
or not put back together correctly!
the roll bar clamps can be mislocated to easy leaving a clonking noise
Thanks given by:
Ed new parts can be broken out of the box do don't just assume "it's almost new, it can't be that"

Tbh your so paranoid about the tiniest little things, I doubt there is really an issue there. It's a 12 year old car. It's not going to run like a Bentley and it will start feeling tired!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(15-11-2012, 08:35 AM)samass Wrote: I woukdnt write off the new parts on the wishbones, best to get under with a pry bar and start trying to move things. Might be faulty parts...
Does she tramline at all?

Yep, VERY sensitive to changes in camber of the road too... But tbh I'd put that down to the additional camber I'm running...

(15-11-2012, 09:14 AM)cully Wrote: or not put back together correctly!
the roll bar clamps can be mislocated to easy leaving a clonking noise

Might actually be a fair shout; the clamps did get disturbed when I swapped the wishbones across iirc...

(15-11-2012, 09:27 AM)Niall Wrote: Ed new parts can be broken out of the box do don't just assume "it's almost new, it can't be that"

Tbh your so paranoid about the tiniest little things, I doubt there is really an issue there. It's a 12 year old car. It's not going to run like a Bentley and it will start feeling tired!

True enough, but the predominant issue has become apparent in the last couple of weeks; it DEFINITELY isn't just me being paranoid. The rest of it I can live with/sort out as and when, but the running issue I want to get sorted as it just makes the car feel shit. and I NEVER want my car to drive like a Bentley!!
Thanks given by:
Are you sure that that map sensor was a known good one?
Just seems very odd. And if you brakes were binding, it would seem sluggish and like there was a increase in engine braking.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(15-11-2012, 10:28 AM)Niall Wrote: Are you sure that that map sensor was a known good one?
Just seems very odd. And if you brakes were binding, it would seem sluggish and like there was a increase in engine braking.

Well it came off my old engine, and I never had these issues on the old car?

I do take on board it may be the wiring though... but I can't check anything until it's plugged in to pp really Sad

My point about the brakes not binding is when you put it into neutral its absolutely fine. It's only in-gear that the excessive deceleration occurs...
Thanks given by:
Scrap it and buy something better then. The paint work is f*cked anyway.

Oh wait, it was like that from the factory wasn't it? :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
^^

Point 1; I'm tempted.

Point 2; FYC
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,735 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's Diablo HDi Stage 2 168bhp & 290lbsft Just Sean 383 134,784 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Poodle