went to the scrappy for 306 parts, bought this instead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
went to the scrappy for 306 parts, bought this instead
yeah, i have seen some badly bodged ones, one lad had a right basket case, instead of him cutting out the rot, he spent hrs on rivting plates and smoothing over. he only showed the painted pics of the car stripped down.
he sold the car on to someone who was going to use the car to hill climb.
the new owner started to strip the car down ready for the cage etc. he saw all the bodges which had started to fail! he realised it was a death trap! so the car was scrapped, he did name and shame the old owner for the bodges.
make sure the rear subframe is dropped, as the hydrolastic pipes are where you are going to repair!
we found that out the hard way on a scrap car, the system has 250+psi maybe more!
Thanks given by:
I can't stand bodged repairs. Found a mini with a new floor welded over a rotten one, a Ford capri with the entire bottom of the doors made of filler and bits of wood. You do wander about these people as most cases it would have been quicker to do the repair properly.

Been very carefil about where the welds are, like you said hydraulic lines and petrol tank.
If the suspension is a basket case Il be doing a dry suspension conversion.
I think the pressure varies from about 280psi to about 400psi depending on ride height
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2013, 04:12 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I can't stand bodged repairs. Found a mini with a new floor welded over a rotten one, a Ford capri with the entire bottom of the doors made of filler and bits of wood. You do wander about these people as most cases it would have been quicker to do the repair properly.

Been very carefil about where the welds are, like you said hydraulic lines and petrol tank.
If the suspension is a basket case Il be doing a dry suspension conversion.
I think the pressure varies from about 280psi to about 400psi depending on ride height

from what i see from your car, the suspention doesnt look fooked, as it would have just dropped right to the floor on the side that failed,
id have took at what the pressures are for you if you wanted, mines got 400 psi in the rear, and i think the front as slightly less.
also mine is indivduised too not interlinked anymore like yours.
the only bodge on my car was the exhaust, but a cheep gti system soon fixed that. plus it ties me over untill i get a full new system for the car, hopefully this year.
Thanks given by:
haven't done much on the metrot recently so went down the workshop after work and welded a new panel on. pretty good result.

just need to do the other side now

[Image: metrot_zps6b72787f.jpg]
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Not my cup of tea at all, but respect for showing it the love Smile
Thanks given by:
Wow i havent seen one in years , Plans to make it a Sleeper ??
Thanks given by:
its my sisters car now, but with some persuasion from me and her boy friend i think we could convince her that a 1.8vvc would be a good idea :p haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by: