Hard clutch even after replacing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard clutch even after replacing
Question 
Hey guys,

Recently I had some issues with my clutch. Initially it was hard as nails (to the point where I couldnt press it properly to the floor). It eventually gave in and I had a mechanic replace it for me.
In a time of desperation he ripped me off and even worse, 2 months down the line and the clutch is hard again.

Initially after he "replaced" the clutch, it was really soft and biting super low and felt really good! Then as time went on it got harder and harder.
Could it be the cable? I have not replaced the cable but will do if it resolves it.

Is it possible he didnt replace the clutch with a new kit and instead put a refaced clutch or new pressure plate or what? I just dont understand how it goes from feeling amazing to hard in a matter of weeks.

Is there possibly something I am missing that isnt either the cable or clutch itself? Maybe the fork into the gearbox?

Thanks for the assistance and sorry if this has already been asked Smile
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
Have you removed the spring on the pedal?
Thanks given by:
Probably the cable, rusty clutch fork and old bushes will not help but those "should" be changed with the clutch, as well as cable.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2015, 07:52 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Have you removed the spring on the pedal?

Yeah thats been done sir. Removed it when I initially started getting pain in my knee Tongue Didnt really help all that much TBH.

@ welshpug; First off well done on the Rugby this weekend Smile Awesome game to watch! But the fact that the clutch was super soft even with the same fork/cable etc, could it be that he didnt actually change the clutch? My understanding or logic with this, if it did it right after the clutch was changed, I would understand, but why would it start after a short while?
It may very well be the clutch cable, but thats a job and a half to take on myself with limited tools.

I appreciate the info guys, trying to wrap my head around the problem at hand and best steps for resolution.
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
Could just be a cheap clutch that was fitted, i've seen some nasty clutch failures that have only been in a few months. A couple of months is a bit ridiculous though. Sorry to be the one asking, but are you sure it's not partially due to user error?

From your description of the clutch being "hard" (i'm guessing you mean it's difficult to press down) it does sound like either the clutch is knackered or the cable.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah difficult to press down doesnt even explain it man, its really extreme.

As to end user error, it may very well be. However I do not ride the clutch, I dont ever keep the clutch engaged on a hill/stopped (for the thrust bearing), and I dont dump it into gears etc. So I try my best to keep my driving style decent.

I am going to monitor it and let you guys know if anything changes really. Thanks for the help and heads up

Thanks given by:
Fair play, gotcha. Doesn't sound like user error tbf, always worth checking though. My suggestion would be to work some wd40 in the cable and see if it loosens up. If it does, change the cable. Failing that it'll be the release fork bushes or clutch itself, as welshpug has said. Maybe have a check for play in those bushes before getting the clutch looked at. Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
99% of the time it will be the cross shaft and bearings, Cable's rarely make them heavy nor to clutch's even when worn out or unless a ECP eastern special, Again 99% of don't Mechanics change this when the box is off
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Hey Poodle,

Thanks for the heads up with the bush, I will be doing some servicing on her soon and investigate that!

@miles, I didnt even think of the bearings and can almost guarantee that they were NOT changed. Its just such a pity since that means the whole gearbox needs to come off! At this stage I dont have space/tools to do the stuff Sad Paying someone will cost as much labour as replacing a clutch... Sheesh... Catch 22. But thanks for the heads up!

Thanks given by:
bit of a hijack found this topic doing a search are all clutch cables the same bar the hdi cable?
need to get one for me xud looking on the bay the prices go from good to dam silly :/
Thanks given by:
Seems daft to me not replacing the 2 clutch fork/shaft nylon/plastic bearings in the g/box bellhousing when changing the clutch 3 components., they are not expensive and a real pita to change after the g/box is refitted, g/box off again!

Has anyone come across the fork/shaft bearings wearing thru and making their holes "oval" ? meaning new bushes will not last long at all.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2015, 03:42 PM)maxlee Wrote: bit of a hijack found this topic doing a search are all clutch cables the same bar the hdi cable?
need to get one for me xud looking on the bay the prices go from good to dam silly :/

No, the XUD and GTi6 use a pull type clutch so need a different cable to all other models. Prices shouldn't be too bad BUT cheap ones can fail at the white plastic clip leaving you clutchless.
Thanks given by: