URGENT! Flushing advice plz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT! Flushing advice plz
Hi there ppl, I am preparing to run some cooling system flush round my 1.9Td and have recently found that I haven't been running any coolant around after experiencing a leak. The leak has since been sorted but I am worried as I suspect it has been 6 months or longer that I haven't had any coolant in my system. My water is currently clear and rusty in colour. I have been advised to run the flush in my system for longer than instructed on the bottle (25miles) before dropping it out. Is this a good idea or not? I was also going to repeat this procedure twice before adding my coolant to the system. Advice plz and thank you in advance Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2014, 12:50 PM)Milano_92 Wrote: Hi there ppl, I am preparing to run some cooling system flush round my 1.9Td and have recently found that I haven't been running any coolant around after experiencing a leak. The leak has since been sorted but I am worried as I suspect it has been 6 months or longer that I haven't had any coolant in my system. My water is currently clear and rusty in colour. I have been advised to run the flush in my system for longer than instructed on the bottle (25miles) before dropping it out. Is this a good idea or not? I was also going to repeat this procedure twice before adding my coolant to the system. Advice plz and thank you in advance Smile

Iv always flushed with a hose and fresh water first take the return out the header tank and the stat out and leave the hose filling the header until just clean water comes out then I'd flush following the instructions

Don't forget to put the stat back in

Probably loads of different options on doing this but this is just what's worked best for me ...
Cherry red 205 XUD VNT - Project thread here http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25522
Thanks given by:
Thanks, is it important that I remove the stat when flushing or can it be done with it in? Also when doing this would I need to replace any gaskets? I am new to all this mechanic malarkey do you will have to bare with me lol, but I understand that the thermostat is located in the front of the thermostat housing where the top radiator hose joins it, therefore am I correct I thinking that the stat can be removed without touching the gasket at the back of the housing?
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2014, 01:26 PM)Milano_92 Wrote: Thanks, is it important that I remove the stat when flushing or can it be done with it in? Also when doing this would I need to replace any gaskets? I am new to all this mechanic malarkey do you will have to bare with me lol, but I understand that the thermostat is located in the front of the thermostat housing where the top radiator hose joins it, therefore am I correct I thinking that the stat can be removed without touching the gasket at the back of the housing?

Correct sir. 3 bolts on the plastic housing the top radiator hose is on and the thermostat is in there. Make sure you know how to bleed the system properly before starting this. I personally fill the system with the hose, start the car and fill it again, then get a 2litre coke bottle filled up and bang it in place of the radiator cap upside downso it keeps the system topped up, it also means thats the highest point in the cooling system which aids bleeding.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
i would also be tempted, as you have had no corrosion in hibitor, to replace the thermostat when the coolant is drained.. be on the safe side and should only be a few quid
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  URGENT! Flushing advice plz Milano_92 1 867 26-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Coolant Flushing 306Puggy 10 3,286 10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  HG change has gone badly :( Urgent advice Ricky 18 3,374 17-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Last Post: Ricky