Oil / Mayo Air pipes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil / Mayo Air pipes?
Right chaps, I'm an engine novice so I'll try to explain this as best as I can.

[Image: 1482379_770581559622167_1928711217_n.jpg]

Firstly, all the pipes ringed green are missing tensioning rings. The one in red (which attaches to the throttle body, I think?) was not connected at all, the end had some old gaffer tape and zip ties on it, but it was hanging loose.

Now upon investigating (because my blower smelled like hot oil when on) I have found that the air filter and it's housing are covered in oil. The rubber pipe that goes into the oil part is full of cream/mayo and the large air pipe itself is full of oil residue.

Anyway, I have added a tensioning ring to the end of the pipe I circled in red and the car seems to be running a bit better. Previously it was a little bit growly and upset, but that's improved. The exhaust was also blowing clean, which is reassuring.

I will add some small tension rings to the ends of the other pipes when I can find some small enough. The air filter needs changing as well as the oil when I get round to giving it a basic service. But in the meantime, should I be concerned about anything as of yet unseen that this problem could affect? When I bought the car I have to admit that although I checked all the fluid levels I didn't give it an in-depth inspection!
Thanks given by:
Cream/mayo is a sign of the head gasket going, take the oil filler cap off and see if there is oil/mayo on there too
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
There was a bit, but I'm assuming that it was from condensation getting into the unattached pipe. I've had three vauxhalls all die from head gasket problems and this feels different. The water reservoir is clean of any oil and the exhaust is blowing clean. I've cleaned the gunk out of all the pipes so will check it again for a few days to see if it is creaming.
Thanks given by:
Its perfectly normal to have a mayo like substance in oil breathers. Its only when you get it under the oil cap (tiny amounts will be fine especially this time of year) or petrol in the coolant smell that you need to start worrying.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks dude, that's reassuring. I really need to jump on Ebay and grab a servicing kit. Any ideas on the best way to clean the air box of all the oil residue? Any preferred products or whatever?
Thanks given by:
As Niall says its nothing to worry about. The XU10s are particularly prone to it and it is just condensation mixing with the oil vapor over time.

When I had a catch tank on my last XU10 99% of what it caught was water from condensation.
Thanks given by:
Dont forget that your engine will produce lots of condensation this time of year. It's bound to happen.
Thanks given by:
What is that ? a NAD??

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 12:28 PM)puglove Wrote: What is that ? a NAD??

1.8 8v I assume
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 12:28 PM)puglove Wrote: What is that ? a NAD??

seriously?!?!?!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looks like a phase 1 xsi 2litre 8v.

I had the same problem with my S16. I had to clean it out a few times as it was making the ICV play up
Thanks given by:
What does NAD stand for?

It's a phase1 1.8 8v XR Auto. Was in a right state when I bought it. Slowly fixing all of it's grumbles as I get to grips with it.
Thanks given by:
(14-12-2013, 02:59 PM)Optikal Wrote: What does NAD stand for?

It's a phase1 1.8 8v XR Auto. Was in a right state when I bought it. Slowly fixing all of it's grumbles as I get to grips with it.

NAD is Naturally Aspirated Diesel.

Obviously, you don't have a NAD because you've got a 1.8 8v Tongue

Echoing what's been said above, it's probably just condensation. When the head gaskets go on these engines, you WILL know about it lol
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
(14-12-2013, 03:07 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(14-12-2013, 02:59 PM)Optikal Wrote: What does NAD stand for?

NAD is Naturally Aspirated Diesel.

Obviously, you don't have a NAD because you've got a 1.8 8v Tongue

Echoing what's been said above, it's probably just condensation. When the head gaskets go on these engines, you WILL know about it lol

Ah, I see. Cheers pal.

To be honest, with the amount of stuff wrong with it, it won't last in my care long enough for the HG to blow haha
Thanks given by: