Making my own rear strut brace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making my own rear strut brace
So now I'm back at uni and what not I thought it would be a fun little side project to try and make my own rear strut brace. With the university having a machine lab I could get some dimensions drawn up and hopefully use the machinery there to cut out some brackets etc.

The shape seems fairly simple with a straight steel tube running between the struts and a simple enough bracket connecting to the two nuts.

My question is what kind of grade/thickness metal should I be looking to use, does it really matter or if I use too thin a sheet for the bracket could I risk it deforming somewhat. And what kind of welds should I be using? I'll have to go elsewhere for the welds since I don't recall seeing any welding equipment in the labs
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Ive made a few going back to ford/mitsi days.

a round connecting bar would be strongest as I found, but you need ideally a nice light alloy of some sort which is strong too. steel is more flexible than you think.

dimensions, if not making it adjustable, then ensure you make the cross bar slightly too small...thus tensioning it when you bolt it all in.

welding...has to be tig imo...keeps heat deformation to a minimal and looks the beesknees
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Non adjustable, makes it a lot simpler. Steel is easier to get though and is it easier to weld? Thought ali couldn't be welded or is tricker?

This is the common shape people seem to make. Would it effect performance much if instead of a circle for the bolt to go through I have it so it could slide on
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Rover-REAR-...1c2c779866

There's also this one someone just put online, very basic looking
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZR-ROVER-25...4ac9d6993d

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
second one looks a bit useless to be honest.

box section wont be very strong either IMO.

dont mean to sound annoying...but that first one isnt that expensive
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Was thinking the second looked crap, as a civil engineer I agree box sections aren't the best a nice I beam wouldn't go amiss Tongue

Oh I know it's not , its more of a I have free time/access to equipment and won't need it for a while now so might as well have a bit of fun designing it or whatever

Thanks given by:
Make 2 brackets which go on the top of the struts, and a bolt on I beam between them? Smile

No welding required Tongue easy as pie, and no weak spots.

Mig welding is fine, you won't warp anything unless you're using too much current. of course all welding creates heat and weak spots.

I'd stick to steel, when you weld alloys you need to use a feed wire which won't react with the alloy and weaken the joint over time.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
I beams don't have much torsional stiffness at all, they warp all over the shop.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 03:31 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Make 2 brackets which go on the top of the struts, and a bolt on I beam between them? Smile

No welding required Tongue easy as pie, and no weak spots.

Mig welding is fine, you won't warp anything unless you're using too much current. of course all welding creates heat and weak spots.

I'd stick to steel, when you weld alloys you need to use a feed wire which won't react with the alloy and weaken the joint over time.

Not a bad idea, certainly easier but could look a little half arsed if it's just bolted together. That and I don't know how small an I beam I could get, structural sizes might be a little overkill/heavy
Going to have to see what the uni has in terms of welding machinery, otherwise might have to see if anyone on here will let me borrow/teach me to weld Big Grin

(22-09-2013, 03:36 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: I beams don't have much torsional stiffness at all, they warp all over the shop.
Not heard of I beams having torsional problems since although you have to test for torsional bending when you put a solid wall directly on one I've yet to come across an example where the beam passed deflection but failed the torsion. But then again I dont really design them for that purpose often, more deflection or compression. But its unlikely I'd actually use one in this project. Will just go for a circular cross section since it's easy and it works Tongue

Thanks given by:
Most applications for I-beams see very little torsional stress, so the stiffness isn't an issue, for a strut brace connecting to one side of a tower, it very much is.

Just use some tube.
And don't do the normal trick (and the same as the first link), and make the transistion from your stiff beam to a weak, floppy plate happen in 1mm, all that does is concentrate the stress there and make it flex on the joint.
That why my braces run tube all the way to the bolts.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 03:59 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Most applications for I-beams see very little torsional stress, so the stiffness isn't an issue, for a strut brace connecting to one side of a tower, it very much is.

Just use some tube.
And don't do the normal trick (and the same as the first link), and make the transistion from your stiff beam to a weak, floppy plate happen in 1mm, all that does is concentrate the stress there and make it flex on the joint.
That why my braces run tube all the way to the bolts.

So make sure the tube overlaps the plate somewhat? and up to the top bit as much as I can like this? It's crude but the idea is there . What thickness plate as a minimum would you recommend if it was just a cheap steel grade?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 03:21 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Thought ali couldn't be welded

(22-09-2013, 03:28 PM)lolsteve Wrote: as a civil engineer

Jesus wept. Smile
Thanks given by:
Who uses aluminium or at least in thin quantities for construction? Only ever had to do steel frame building.
If it's construction it's either concrete or steel anything else not my business Tongue

Thanks given by:
imo if you're definately going to make one rather than buying, then i'd personally go for stainless tube / plate, tig welded,

bit overkill maybe but you get the idea
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
^^^^ spot on info and design imo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 06:56 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Who uses aluminium or at least in thin quantities for construction? Only ever had to do steel frame building.
If it's construction it's either concrete or steel anything else not my business Tongue

I know where there's plenty of aluminium bridges. Like dozens of them...
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 08:14 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(22-09-2013, 06:56 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Who uses aluminium or at least in thin quantities for construction? Only ever had to do steel frame building.

Yep plenty of bridges made from ally!!

Search br90 I worked on that project for vice years!!

Amazing bit of kit!!

Vickers engineering in Wolverhampton were trying to replicate the bridge but using carbon fibre for the majority of it
Thanks given by:

Well in the three years of uni not once has the use of ali been suggested, I assumed it was due to steel being more cost effective.
It's just "use steel and if you're not using steel why aren't you using steel? are you a poof or something?!"

(22-09-2013, 08:23 PM)swampy Wrote:

Yep plenty of bridges made from ally!!

Search br90 I worked on that project for vice years!!

Amazing bit of kit!!

Vickers engineering in Wolverhampton were trying to replicate the bridge but using carbon fibre for the majority of it

I guess mobile bridge systems are a bit different, in the sense I'm guessing their budgets and specifications required are different to a standard steel truss Tongue

But anyway enough about bridges, thinking john1.4's design is looking pretty spot on. Simple enough but looks strong enough Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 10:21 PM)lolsteve Wrote: It's just "use steel and if you're not using steel why aren't you using steel? are you a poof or something?!"
lmao
Thanks given by:
Need to get acquainted with peoples usernames and cars I think. Opened this thread thinking "wtf, rear strut brace... hmm"

lol

Edit: Whats worse is I've met Steve, dammit!
Chris
1999 China GTi6 Supercharged track car
2000 Bianca LX non turbo slowness

Team: I hate Sam Rowell's stanceboard!
Thanks given by:

Fill the boot with concrete? Stiff as f*ck!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2013, 10:45 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

Structural foam.... Some ones done it!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Yeah, me, my sills and a-pillars are full of it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Currently making up some bracket templates, in regards to welding how much space should there be either side of the tube. Going to go to the university labs Monday and see what they can do for me

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2013, 10:58 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote:
(24-09-2013, 10:45 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

lmao yeah and what an impressive job of it he did too. Shame he had no boot space left after..
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fill the boot with concrete!!!! Lol ιts not a Capri
( oldies will know)
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2013, 05:58 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Fill the boot with concrete!!!! Lol ιts not a Capri
( oldies will know)

rear wheel drive + snow?

Thanks given by:
(28-09-2013, 05:58 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Fill the boot with concrete!!!! Lol ιts not a Capri
( oldies will know)

Wink

Yeah they were a bit tail happy..
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2013, 03:39 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(24-09-2013, 10:58 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote:
(24-09-2013, 10:45 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Fill the boot with concrete? Stiff as f*ck!

lmao yeah and what an impressive job of it he did too. Shame he had no boot space left after..

Or wheel arch space! Think of all the weight I saved when I cut it out tho....
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vibration issues after strut brace installation S16 14 2,713 16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Last Post: S16
  OMP strut brace adjustment nuts lolsteve 6 1,418 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Strut Brace Help C.A.R. 8 2,340 30-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Piggy