Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
EGR
#1
is it worth disconnecting that green plug behind the battery box ???
#2
some say it will spit a rod but yes its worth it
#3
Not heard anyone say they chuck a rod with egr disconnexted but yes its worth it
Exhaust gas recirculation.. now we burn only the freshest air :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
#4
4WayDiablo Wrote:Not heard anyone say they chuck a rod with egr disconnexted but yes its worth it

this, removing EGR won't spit rods considering half of the dturbos ever produced were NON-EGR :roll:
Phaes 1 GTI 6  -  Onyx Black
#5
ginge191 Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Not heard anyone say they chuck a rod with egr disconnexted but yes its worth it

this, removing EGR won't spit rods considering half of the dturbos ever produced were NON-EGR :roll:


Am only saiding what iv read in the past
#6
There was a rumour it made cars spit rods on .net because ONE person (Alex_J I think?) disconnected it and his car spat a rod within minutes of restarting the engine. Complete coincidence though imo, iv heard no other bad stories over the years and theres no logical reason why it would have a bad effect on the engine.
#7
That's like saying I changed my fog bulb and my head gasket went then.
#8
mooey65 Wrote:That's like saying I changed my fog bulb and my head gasket went then.

Dont say that, nobody will ever touch their fog light bulbs again now lol
#9
mooey65 Wrote:That's like saying I changed my fog bulb and my head gasket went then.

yup.......you got it, how can not sooting up your intake be a bad thing? lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#10
If I disconnect it do I have to take it all off and weld?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]


306 HDI, soon to be XUD
#11
Just unplugging the green plug behind the battery box will 'delete' the EGR system (but make sure you pull the plug out when the engine is off and stone cold) but removing the piping/valves and welding it all up just makes the inlet/exhaust manis easier to work around and means they arent connected at all.
#12
I think I might do this when I get out of bed :L
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]


306 HDI, soon to be XUD
#13
Unplugging the green plug will technically disable it, but after 13 years of being clogged with EGR shit, it's usually jammed half open and doesn't work.. You need to weld up the vac tree on the manifold, or jam it so it's closed and can't open, I found that one out...

High exhaust mani pressure will overcome the valve Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
#14
I couldn't even see a green plug
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]


306 HDI, soon to be XUD
#15
might not be green, it'l be the plug which has 2 pipes going to/from it, like little 5mm pipe.
#16
Just disconnected it on mine, was having trouble at first as there wasn't the little metal bit to unclip it so just broke it off instead lol
#17
oh but my 306 was non EGR standard and is as fast as a merc V6 ninja
Phaes 1 GTI 6  -  Onyx Black
#18
mooey65 Wrote:some say it will spit a rod but yes its worth it

Ha i remember that, was about 6 weeks on .net where you couldn't bring up the subject without 3/4 people jumping in to say you'd lose a rod if you did it FLOL! lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...



#19
Just done this lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

#20
I did mine a year ago and when I did the manifold gasket the other week found I never had egr in the first place!


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)