Worst day owning a 306. Help & suggestions needed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst day owning a 306. Help & suggestions needed.
This is long winded but please have patience

What a pig of a day, did a coolant flush few weeks ago then the heater matrix starts leaking so today went to change it. Wish I bloody hadn't.
Started stripping out last night so today all I had to do was the actual dash removal and matrix change, I didn't take the guide for gospel it had left out a few screws and bolts and low and behold...... Snapped a whole side off the matrix housing. Got a soldering iron and melted it all back together, then while putting pressure on the pipes to reconnect them it gave and split wide open again while in situ so like hell was I taking it out again that rubber is a total bitch to get through the bulkhead so it's bodged with superglue and tape for the moment. Oh and I snapped that green cable on heater controls so anyone know the part number?
Start putting the dash together and reconnecting things get most of it in ready to start it and bleed it. Bloody thing won't start, showing live even without keys in and turning but not firing. Lad who was helping had found two plugs that mated but I was adamant they weren't meant to but he did anyway so after lots of digging and swearing disconnect them and finally it fires like it should. Only now got no indicators, no hazards, no blower control and I don't know about the temperature control by this time it's already been dark two hours so I give up. Any pointers for tomorrow?
Obviously will check fuses first but after that?
And when I was stripping out I didn't disconnect anything from the heater control panel as I left it in the dash, are there any plugs that may have disconnected, the cables came off and have been reconnected but what have I missed?
Thanks given by:
Well that sucks tbh! Sad

I reckon the plug on the back of the hazard switch has come out/wasn't put back for indicators/hazards.

As for the green cable, I may have a spare I could post cheap as its small/light.
Thanks given by:
That'd be great Tom :-)
The plug on the hazard switch is / was in properly and clicked home, will double check in the morning though but when I was trying the switches it did light up once but now nothing, the plugs are clicked home on the stalk and the headlights sidelights main beam all work just not the directionals but was so pissed off and knackered and sick of working in the dark I just called it a day.

More annoying is the fact I will have to do it all again when I get a new matrix housing thing. Will be getting the dead XSi off my bro in law, trailer it over here, strip what I want and need then strip to order for people on here then weigh it in.
Thanks given by:
IIRC, the hazards still work with the indicator unplugged, but nothing works with hazard switch unplugged, so I doubt its anything to do with the stalk. You could also be right about a fuse though.

And I know what you mean, was really getting to the end of my patience with mine after a week of fails, but then today everything sort of came together finally!
Thanks given by:
Any idea what I'm missing on the heater controls Tom? tbh I didn't even look at the rear of them and the other fella helping me refitted the green and yellow cables but didn't say owt about any plugs, although we did have a longish flatish blue and black plug that I couldn't find a home for. The heater motor is spinning up when I start but I can't control it and there's no back lights anymore when the sidelights are on
Thanks given by:
Yeah that long blue plug fits in the left hand end of the heater dial unit!

How did he refit the green cable if its broken?
Thanks given by:
The cable itself is intact but the hard green outer casing I snapped while trying to pry the rubber grommet back through its snapped just after the clip that secures it to the matrix housing box thing, so when ya twist the knob it just separates at the snap then when ya turn it back it returns but I don't know if it's actually altering any directional flaps or not cause I can't turn the fans up to see.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, makes sense! Not sure if that would affect it or not tbh. See what happens when you plug the blue plug back in anyway. Smile
Thanks given by:
Need to find where he's bloody hidden it behind the dash yet lol

I am right in thinking if I get kierrans XSi the heating system should be the same ergo the matrix housing box will be the same?
Thanks given by:
If they're both aircon cars then yeah should both be the same (Behr). Non air con are different though.
Thanks given by:
That blue plug will be for the heaters that's the only plug for them

As for the hazards/indicators are you sure you've got the hazard and heated screen plugged into the right plugs? You can get then wrong (I did) and it makes the hazard switch come on and then go off
Thanks given by:
I plugged black into the heated screen and grey into the hazard I think..... I dunno now tbh, thought they were keyed so only fitted the corresponding plug anyway or hav I made another school boy error? God really not been my day.
Thanks given by:
Think that's the same as what I did iirc mate the plugs aren't keyed but i think grey is heated screen black is hazard
Thanks given by:
That's something for me to look at in the morning then :-)
Thanks given by:
Good luck mate know how it feels making mistakes after doing the matrix only did mine about a month ago
Thanks given by:
FINALLY: all back together and running. Indicator issue was me being a tit and putting wrong plugs in wrong switches, and the blue plug....... Well had to release the whole bottom of the dash again to re-route the loom so it'd reach the heater controls.
What a ball ache
And gona have to do it all again when I get the donor car for the parts I broke, hopefully should be able to get the transporter trailer and tow car by next weekend and be off to St. Helens to pick up the XSi so will strip what I need then strip to order for everyone on here.
Tom if you have got the green cable thing that'd be great as it is buggered only works one way not t'other. So lemme know how much and paypal shall be winging your way.
Thanks given by:
At least next time you'll know where it all goes Smile glad you got it sorted mate
Thanks given by:
All sorted...... Until I got to the inlaws now the central locking not working but it was last night and this morning. All I've done is put cowling back on and build up centre dash and tunnel. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Things are always easier the 2nd time. Wink Will find that cable tomorrow...if not drop me a PM to remind me haha.
Thanks given by: