Look out all, I might be getting a 306 again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look out all, I might be getting a 306 again
After over a year long battle with my stupid Passat (I lost the case against it's rejection) I'm done with it. It's going, and I need a replacement. I have been looking at a rather tidy Ford Focus for £8k, but the more I think about it the more I think "I don't need a car that expensive". Sure it would be nice, but why? It's a waste...

Especially when you can get a tidy HDi for under a grand. That will keep me out of debt and I know my way around it enough to fix it myself in most cases. Sure, I had a XLtd before, but it's much the same except for the electrics and no more unreliable than a modern piece of crap.

The one I've seen claims to have had only one owner and it's got just shy of 100k on it for £800. No tax, but that's not a biggie if the car is in good shape.

So that's it. I'm going to start ringing around people selling 306's on auto trader locally and see what I can find. I might finally make use of that tow bar again I have sitting on the floor in my bedroom! And the mutant radio that I couldn't use in the Passat too!

Wish me luck!
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
That's brilliant! Big Grin coming back to the 306 is a good move, at least there's a large network of people mad enough as you, to help fix it when she goes wrong lol.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
you know its the right choice Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
As Ive already told you, its the right thing to do, Only said HDI just because its newer / bit more like what you have become used to, although obviously, not going to be quite the smooth executive drive you have become used to, but meh, much better fun imo!

But of course, you can always resort to a XUD DT if you want to Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
That reminds me Darren, what's happened with yours these days?
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Thanks all (not getting notifications of replies for some reason). The one I wanted was sold this morning (typical eh?!), so I found another tidy looking one. Bonus on this is it has just had the waterpump and cambelt done, right on schedule (80k or so), so it's good to 140k. If interested in seeing it, it's this one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Going straight after work. If it's tidy, drives well, seems good all round, I'll have it. The guy said he's been messed about a few times now so if it's good I won't let him down.

Only thing is, do I cancel insurance on the Passat or not...! I'd prefer not to for at least the short term to make sure the Pug is alright, and if it's not I can drive the Passat until such time that it is. Unfortunately I've only been offered £2k for the Passat, £500 over the remaining finance. So all in all, I'll have lost £3k on this Passat in just 1 year! Sad Live and learn...
Thanks given by:
That HDI looks ok buddy, just make sure you check in the usual places for rust.
Not a bad price for something which looks to be an unmolested example!
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Which usual places do you suggest?
Thanks given by:
Always check the arches, under the chassis making sure there are no holes, (underneath and arches are very important lol)
The sills are usually one to develop rust as well, usually settles under the sideskirts although there is no real way to check that.
Check the boot floor as well.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Evening all, well, I got the one I linked to above =) Was pretty pristine, only a few issues:

- Stiff clutch (common I guess being cable?), it also is very short travel compared to the Passat! Will take a bit of getting used to.
- Low front tyres, easily solved for £35 a pop
- Fuel around the injectors. Now we don't know why, because it looks like it's had injector work and after cleaning the fuel up, nothing was coming out. I suspect it's just been the mechanic not cleaning up after bleeding or doing the run off pipes. They look like new or well refurbed injectors though. Thoughts? Perhaps just need a nip up and the leak won't show until put on boost?

Injector close up: http://imgur.com/cvYTYDA
Engine bay: http://imgur.com/1bEbRAY

Another question, it only has 1 key. I've been told by Mr Lobb that they're coded so if I source another key, can I code the new one with only a single key in my possession? Cheers.
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2013, 07:38 PM)andywhy Wrote: - Stiff clutch (common I guess being cable?), it also is very short travel compared to the Passat! Will take a bit of getting used to.

Haha, this was the weirdest thing for me going back to a 306 after a Golf...

It was a brand new clutch and cable and felt so odd, no travel, and heavy as hell............missed the luxury of the hydro clutch a lot! Soon got used to it though tbf, give it a few days you won't even notice it.
Thanks given by:
The injectors are a dodgy subject, did you check before and after a test drive??
Was there any lack in power?
They are reasonably high pressured anyway so I'm sure you would've seen a leak after a drive.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
I didn't drive it after no, but I didn't notice any leak before either. Diesel smells more when it's warm and that's when I noticed after opening the bonnet after the drive for another look.

As I say, I suspect it's had work done and perhaps the lines aren't quite tight enough. Would that make sense? What's the worst case scenario?
Thanks given by:
Sounds the same as my hdi, leaking fuel from somewhere Sad
Cam smell it when you stop, leaves a few drops after a drive
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Any fuel leak is a bad fuel leak so I want to know where it's potentially coming from and how to fix it before I drive it a significant amount of time anywhere.

I will find out tonight if it's still leaking or whether it was just not cleaned after having work done.

I would still like to know what the worst case scenario is though. New injectors? New fuel pipes? Nip the pipes up?
Thanks given by:
Not sure where abouts you live, but im from donny and have 3 306's for sale at the moment.

Silver Mapped Hdi Estate 145k £795
Black 5dr Hdi Hatchback 161k - £695
Blue Mapped 3dr Hatchback 116k - £1200

Could be interested in doing a px with the Passat if that suits ?
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
@Birk, sorry, already bought a 306, driving it home tonight. Personally, I wouldn't sell the Passat to you. It's not worth your trouble, honestly!
Thanks given by: