sumps....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sumps....
it's crossed my mind that due to the brutal acceleration and hard cornering that perhaps my engine is been starved of oil on occasion. I havnt had any problems yet as the car is still been run in so mostly gentle driving, but it is a concern that when I start dialling up the boost and fuel that oil deprevation might become an issue.

does the standard xud sump have any baffles to prevent oil sloshing about, I know that the early mi 16 engines had baffled sumps so maybe a future modification?

another route to explore could be a dry sump conversion, expensive and complicated I know but I have a few bits knocking about that I could use to do it.

has anyone with a high power xud ever had any oil feed problems or am I just worrying about nothing?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I know they have no baffles, not sure about the rest.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
The mi 16s never came with a baffled sump

Unless you're generating high g thro go long corners you won't be starting the engine of oil song wouldn't bother. I the gti iirc comes with a baffled sump so might be worth looking into that?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 10:08 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: The mi 16s never came with a baffled sump

Unless you're generating high g thro go long corners you won't be starting the engine of oil song wouldn't bother. I the gti iirc comes with a baffled sump so might be worth looking into that?

ah cool, i got that mi16 sump info then realised after i posted it it was about a 405 mi16 touring car, so custom sump.
il certainly look into a '6 sump then as i plan on track days. cheers mate
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I have a gti6 sump if you are interested mate? Smile

Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 10:25 PM)spike2002 Wrote: I have a gti6 sump if you are interested mate? Smile

yeah il be interrsted in that at some point Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Unless your oil pressure light is flashing (and working - disconnect solenoid & crank to check) then you won't be starving. As said long corners can cause issues xud can take a lot of oil over max before issues.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive had mine oil surge before, not hard to do at all, any longish corner at speed will used to cause my oil pressure gauge to start dropping as it was sucking air.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm designing a dry sump system for a Yamaha r 6 at the moment. It's not hard to do just means machining a new sump and finding places to mount pressure/scavenge pumps, new resovoir, and running oil lines around the engine. Would be cool designing one for this engine!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 11:41 AM)Ben Jay Wrote: I'm designing a dry sump system for a Yamaha r 6 at the moment.

Is this to go in some form of car by any chance?
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
I actually looked into having a baffled "big wing" sump made for my old HDi for extra oil capacity as If i could of got it out to 7l and then I think it would have enough oil to spread the heat and then not need an oil cooler as the need for oil coolers on these is pretty marginal.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 10:10 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Ive had mine oil surge before, not hard to do at all, any longish corner at speed will used to cause my oil pressure gauge to start dropping as it was sucking air.

have you done anything to stop oil surges?

(08-12-2012, 11:41 AM)Ben Jay Wrote: I'm designing a dry sump system for a Yamaha r 6 at the moment. It's not hard to do just means machining a new sump and finding places to mount pressure/scavenge pumps, new resovoir, and running oil lines around the engine. Would be cool designing one for this engine!

I have a few bits at work that are from a dry sump system off an impreza rally car, all i would need is an appropriate sump and some oil lines. already got a relocated battery in the boot, would be cool to add an oil resevoir in there too, and like dum-dum said, higher capacity of oil would hopefully mean no need for a cooler.

Im quite keen on the idea of dry sumping an xud now Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sumps XUD7 / XUD9 ginge191 7 2,176 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  Xud and Hdi Sumps Bananalad 8 1,962 19-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle