FMIC 20 psi running temps & boost held back by the lucus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FMIC 20 psi running temps & boost held back by the lucus
Ok guys so finaly got round to sorting out the dodgy waste gate arm on my DT and managed to get the boost up 20psi, but.................. and theres always a but, its shoots up to 90 (warter temp) now iv hard wiered a slim line fan with a switch, and the temp still hits 90 straight away with that running on full bore, all i basicaly want to know is this normal? (also it is FMIC)

Part 2!

Iv wound the waste gate down the thread about 20mm give or take, jumped in took it for a spin and i was only getting 16 psi, so i wound the boost compensater out more (lucus) and that took me up to 20psi, so i may have more to go yet on the fuel pump, but the thing is it now smoke like a bitch and i dont want to make it any worse.

Now is the only way over this fitting a bosch ? or can is there somthing i can do to get the presure up and the smoke down on the lucus untill i get round to putting my bosch on?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Personally I never found touching the boost compensator effective on a Lucas. Just use the max fuel alone and adjust the wastegate to suit.

On my Lucas, TMIC, straight through I was running around 22PSI (4th Gear) on my T2 with a fair bit of haze which seemed the most I could get out of it.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2012, 02:27 PM)silverzx Wrote: Personally I never found touching the boost compensator effective on a Lucas. Just use the max fuel alone and adjust the wastegate to suit.

On my Lucas, TMIC, straight through I was running around 22PSI (4th Gear) on my T2 with a fair bit of haze which seemed the most I could get out of it.

I had a definate increase in boost on the compensater :\

what sort of heat were/are you running at on 22 psi

Thanks given by:
(23-08-2012, 02:34 PM)puglove Wrote: I had a definate increase in boost on the compensater :\

what sort of heat were/are you running at on 22 psi

83'ish cruising. 90~95 in heavy grid lock traffic.

Any more boost and it would just smoke far too much!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Mine rarely hits 90 tbh. Only after a good hoon will it get close. That's at 28 - 30 PSI but a Bosch on a very smokey tune due to slight leak

The if it smokes, wind the turbo some more. If you can't then you'll more likely have a leak somewhere?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I know people running 30+psi and really have no issues with heat.. it should sit at 82*c all day long, especially with a Lucas, you'll never get enough fuel in to overcome the cooling system. Sounds like you've got a blocked or jammed thermostat... Also check your radiator for if it's got half its fins missing... They usually are after a few years!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
sounds like the its running to hot then :/ what could be cousing it to run so hot then?

(23-08-2012, 02:50 PM)Ruan Wrote: I know people running 30+psi and really have no issues with heat.. it should sit at 82*c all day long, especially with a Lucas, you'll never get enough fuel in to overcome the cooling system. Sounds like you've got a blocked or jammed thermostat... Also check your radiator for if it's got half its fins missing... They usually are after a few years!

Would you beleive it, i have no thermastat, or not plug where it should be anyway, and correct the rad is shagged on mine, but whys it such an epic hike on temp for just an extra 6 psi? I could rag the shit out of it for hours on end before and i couldnt get it over 75?

Thanks given by:
See what i mean, where the f*ck is my brown plug?

[Image: 2012-08-23160016.jpg]

also does it make any odds that iv removed the loom and this plug now iv got the fan hard wiered.

[Image: 2012-08-23160036.jpg]

And yes Rad is mashed

[Image: 2012-08-23160208.jpg]
[Image: 2012-08-23160153.jpg]

Thanks given by:
That's because it's a non-AC model...

The thermostat is inside that housing, big round thing with a rubber seal, should be about £5 from a motorfactors tops.

Also, get that rad replaced, the heat isn't so much from the extra boost, it's the extra fuel - that's what really causes heat. When you're injecting more fuel, the temperature just creeps up and up, new rad, replace the thermostat and I can guarantee you'll have no more cooling issues Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ah that will be why then. Can you tell this is my 1st 306 without air con? Lol. I will try that lot as i know theres an almost new rad at tje scrappy Big Grin thanks ruan

oh and if your still in swindon when i get my bosch fitted do you fancy poping over one evening to do a decent tune on it for some beer tokens and a cuppa Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Course mate, any time I'm more than happy to come give a hand, just give me a shout!
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate, and shout i will Big Grin

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SoS urgent...xud estate temps Piggy 25 4,397 22-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Last Post: The Phil Billy
  thermostat opening temps...lower temp' stats? Piggy 25 6,630 25-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  EGT average temps Ricky 10 3,025 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Ruan