Bike licence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike licence
Whats the deal with a bike licence these days, I'm 18 at the moment and will be 19 next month and I did my CBT when I was 16 which has run out now I think? And I'm wanting to get a motorbike probably just a aprilia rs 125cc for the first year or so but I don't want it with 'L' plates so I can't go on motorways :/ as I'd be wanting to go to work on it aswel so would need to go on motorways.

So my question is what do I need to do to be able to ride a 125cc or higher without 'L' plates? Anyone know?

I know I need to do more than CBT as you have to have 'L' plates with just this licence and it only lasts for 2 years doesn't it?

Thanks,
Lou
[Image: 5dd0e8e7-1.jpg]
Blaze XUD Dturbo
Soon To Be Stage 2..
Thanks given by:
You'll have to take your full bike license no?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah I think so but can only ride a 250cc until I'm 21 is that correct then after I turn 21 I can ride anything

Is your full bike licence like a 1 day thing, or do you have to take lessons etc etc
Blaze XUD Dturbo
Soon To Be Stage 2..
Thanks given by:
yep you just need a full bike licence. I had a aprilia rs50 when i was 16. Brilliant looking bike Big Grin
Its only with bigger engines there are rules about riding experience and age.

full bike is lessons and a test. just like a driving test.
Thanks given by:
So you don't need to do a theory and hazard perception and bike lessons and all the other bollocsk
Blaze XUD Dturbo
Soon To Be Stage 2..
Thanks given by:
Think my mate spent around 300 on lessons and test for his bike
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Louis123 Wrote:So you don't need to do a theory and hazard perception and bike lessons and all the other bollocsk

yeh im pretty sure you need to do theory and hazard perception if you havent got a driving licence. Might have to do them anyway. Its the same a a car but for a bike.
Thanks given by:
Yeah full theory and hazard rubbish needed for a full license. As for lessons, it depends on riding experience, I did one long half day lesson then my test the day after. Not sure if you can still do that though, I did mine 4 years ago now. Had to ride restricted for 2 years, then full power after that. If you do get a full license, you may find it cheaper to get something like a 500 rather than a 125 insurance wise, especially with an RS, not to mention a lot more useable power, comfort and reliability. I first got a GS500F after passing, didn't restrict it though as it only has about 40hp anyway! Nice bike though, completely bullet proof. Then after 2 years (I was 20 btw) I got a CBR600RR..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
You have to be 21 to ride a big bike unrestricted and have to do the theory and hazard perception to ride a bike bike and it is a lot harder now .if you do your cbt you can ride a bike upto a 125 . But they are slow not really suitable for motorways .
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads Smile dream bike has got to be an r6! Cbr600 though nice ricky, u got any pics
Blaze XUD Dturbo
Soon To Be Stage 2..
Thanks given by:
Ducati is the way to go
Thanks given by:
Although expensive
Thanks given by:
el sid Wrote:Ducati is the way to go

If you can afford them!

Couple of pictures of the 600..
[Image: IMG_0426.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2257.jpg]
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Have had two 748 sps getting a new 848 next April in pearl white
Thanks given by:
Would love a 996, but I don't think I can put up with the reliability of an ageing italian bike!

Back on topic Wink
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Will be doing mine soon! Thank god I am 24 Wink
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Would love to get the new 1199 panigale awesome bike !
Thanks given by:
Mmm...CBR's.

I've got the baby 'blade but if/when I get a big one I think I'll be going Suzuki, the GSXR's are so sexy.
Thanks given by:
As you are 18 at the moment, if you pass your full bike test you will be restricted for 2 years, as Ricky says.

The restriction imposed is 33 whp, but what you will find is that restriction kits for bigger bikes are readily available. Once I passed my test I bought a '99 plate ZX-6R and stuck some washers in the carburettor which restricted air flow. (I quickly got bored however and took them out).. What you will find is that when you are on a bike the plod tend to give you a bit more freedom than say if you dick around in a car. I got pulled a couple of times for things like an indicator bulb blowing, but they never questioned the power of the bike. It's one of those laws which isn't actively enforced.

I do recommend that if you do pass the full test, get yourself a decent 600cc. It's important to get to grips with the machine whilst it's restricted, and then you will be 400% more comfortable when you pop the restrictors out. A restricted 600 will also manage 110mph+, so fine for any UK roads.

It's also a decent investment to make, after the 2 years are up your restriction is lifted automatically, no further testing is required.

Edit: The total cost for me was ~£600 for a week long course. But that included my CBT/Theory/Practical. But that was 4 years ago now..
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Thanks a lot lads, very helpful Smile and Ricky that's a very nice bike you got there!
Blaze XUD Dturbo
Soon To Be Stage 2..
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driving licence returned Sian 12 2,044 22-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Sian
  How will you lose your licence? Niall 38 3,429 16-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Paisleycheesewarrior
  Professional driving licence changes, agree or disagree? Dodgy Bob 4 1,779 27-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Dodgy Bob