Wipers Jerking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers Jerking
Right had an issue with my wipers. The other day my wipers jammed into each other and burnt the motor out. So replaced the motor and linkage and all was well. Then today, I jumped in and put the wipers onto the first click. They went up but then on way back down they were clicking the relay and stopping 2 or 3 times before parking, sometimes not parking at all.

On normal or fast speed they are fine. If I just click the wiper stalk down to clear the screen, all ok if I hold it down but if I just flick it once it here's going down again and they relay is clicking. I swapped the relay for the other green one at the side and it's same.

Could this be a stalk issue?

It's a 99 t reg with auto wipers

Oh and the relay gets hot

Thanks
Thanks given by:
going on other issues ive experienced/read about,

like indicator relay getting hot, and randomly ticking etc etc, i would think it could well be stalk related, as it is on the indicator issues, but it would not hurt to replace the relay first to see if your issue is rectified first. (always best doing cheapest first Smile )

tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
When I had an issue with mine I took the connection for the wipers apart, cleaned inside and out together. Dirt on the contacts caused a lot of issues.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
It's not the indicator relay clicking. It's the wiper relay for when it's in auto.. you normally hear the relay click when it powers it to clear the screen once but it clicks loads when her king, as though it's trying to power it loads of times.

By connection for the wipers do you mean the plug to the motor? Or the linkage bars?
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2015, 07:27 AM)ct-hdi Wrote: It's not the indicator relay clicking. It's the wiper relay for when it's in auto.. you normally hear the relay click when it powers it to clear the screen once but it clicks loads when her king,  as though it's trying to power it loads of times.

By connection for the wipers do you mean the plug to the motor? Or the linkage bars?

I know your indicator relay is not clicking, Mine is  Blush 

but yes, the electrical connections. 

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
ahh i see. well ive cleaned the plug to the motor up with contact cleaner and removed the stalk and cleaned the plug connections to it. Still the same.

Swapped the relays as there are 3 the same. so think im on the hunt for a cheap stalk to try
Thanks given by:
ours do this as well, someone has suggested that the self park switch ( inside the motor ) contact may be iffy.......

if the stalk is held on in the one wipe position, then its fine.......

the gear wheel inside the motor may have a "swipe switch contact" that is a bad contact when the wipers momentarily "stop"??

I have yet to disassemble ours to check but old style lucas and others have this self park method, cant remember if the "rotating contact" via the gear wheel is live or earthed......

does anyone have a motor of the car at the moment and could look inside, a picture of the inside and gear wheel etc  would be fantastic!
Thanks given by:
Turned out to be a stiff linkage
Thanks given by:
the linkage and wiper arm "shafts" where lubricated on ours which improved the wiper action, but they still "stop" or jerk when the screen is dry, and the relay clicks when they stop or jerk.....or is that when the relay clicks mid screen they stop or jerk....?

the relay clicks once when the stalk is pushed down for a single wipe....and clicks again when wipers at mid stroke...
Thanks given by:
(15-09-2015, 01:21 PM)pug306driver Wrote: ours do this as well, someone has suggested that the self park switch ( inside the motor ) contact may be iffy.......

if the stalk is held on in the one wipe position, then its fine.......

the gear wheel inside the motor may have a "swipe switch contact" that is a bad contact when the wipers momentarily "stop"??

I have yet to disassemble ours to check but old style lucas and others have this self park method, cant remember if the "rotating contact" via the gear wheel is live or earthed......

does anyone have a motor of the car at the moment and could look inside, a picture of the inside and gear wheel etc  would be fantastic!

my original motor failed - wouldn't park. got it out, pulled the gearbox cover off to find three contacts to concentric rings. auto-wipe was the one that had corroded & sheared off.
pulled open the s/h replacement to check all ok, greased all with Vaseline, then fitted it to car.
if my knackered camera still works, ill see if I can put a pic up.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: