B5254 T7 engine. Talk to me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B5254 T7 engine. Talk to me.
Looking into a new hatchback, probably around autumn time, specifically a C30 T5. Looking at these engines, are they the same as focus ST lumps?

What's the difference between them?
Anyone have any opinions? 
Anything in particular to ask/focus on when looking at buying?
Anyone driven one; opinions again? 

Speaking my mechanic today, he'd happily point me in the direction of 290bhp with a few fairly simple mods.

Thanks in advance Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Yes and no.

It's theoretically not the same as the B5254T3 engine used in the earlier C30/V50/S40/Focus ST/Mondildo 2.5T, note the T3 is 217hp (220PS) and the T7 is 227hp (230PS) - but as far as I'm aware it's purely calibration that changes this, rather than any mechanical changes... There might be slight changes to the turbocharger IIRC?

These engines DO have problems with liners - they went a bit overkill with the boring machine when they went to 2.5l - don't expect 400hp without sleeving the block or suffering problems with cracked liners. Go look at the differences between the Ford RS 2.5l block and the stock 2.5l T7/T3 block... Then go look at the problems the V70R has without those mods, they suffer quite badly at stock 300hp levels of tune. You won't see 290hp without intercoolers, possibly injectors, stuff like that - 270 ish is about your limit with stock hardware, hardly a bad improvement mind!

If you're wanting mega performance, then it's only a block swap away from the 2.4 litre blocks from the earlier P2 V70s and removing the problems with liners. - few holes need drilling to make compatible with the RNC mountings, but nothing too major.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2015, 04:54 PM)Ruan Wrote: Yes and no.

It's theoretically not the same as the B5254T3 engine used in the earlier C30/V50/S40/Focus ST/Mondildo lol 2.5T, note the T3 is 217hp (220PS) and the T7 is 227hp (230PS) - but as far as I'm aware it's purely calibration that changes this, rather than any mechanical changes... There might be slight changes to the turbocharger IIRC?

These engines DO have problems with liners - they went a bit overkill with the boring machine when they went to 2.5l - don't expect 400hp without sleeving the block or suffering problems with cracked liners. Go look at the differences between the Ford RS 2.5l block and the stock 2.5l T7/T3 block... Then go look at the problems the V70R has without those mods, they suffer quite badly at stock 300hp levels of tune. You won't see 290hp without intercoolers, possibly injectors, stuff like that - 270 ish is about your limit with stock hardware, hardly a bad improvement mind!

If you're wanting mega performance, then it's only a block swap away from the 2.4 litre blocks from the earlier P2 V70s and removing the problems with liners. - few holes need drilling to make compatible with the RNC mountings, but nothing too major.

Interesting.
I'd only go to 300bhp with the mods you mention, as well as actuator, maps, possibly turbo upgrade, but rightly stated, anything over 300 and its time for internal work which i really wouldn't look into.
Glad to see they're not horrendous, perhaps they're volvos you take a slight bias? Tongue

Issue i'm finding, is looking at the stats and figures, some T5 models are producing (226)230bhp and other 217bhp with little to no continuity as to which models have which power? OR some of the SE designs have less power? I know the geartronic auto boxes have a limited torque setting, so i'm only looking for a manual; 6 speed.
Any idea on why/how/where power difference comes from, apart from mere software changes?
Thanks given by:
Tim Williams can shim out the liners to make it a lot safer.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2015, 05:52 PM)adam b Wrote: Tim Williams can shim out the liners to make it a lot safer.

Can't help but think it's so much better to rip block out and do a proper job of it than shimming them, if you've got head off, it's only driveshafts and a few more bolts and the engine falls out...

With regards to the 220ps/230ps - I'm 99% it is all software... Possibly a thing that the T7 engine isn't a US destined engine - the T3 is a "world" engine, is sold in the US etc - but not sure the T7 is.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
He shims the 2.4 as well. They go bang too with enough through them...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2015, 07:29 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(30-03-2015, 05:52 PM)adam b Wrote: Tim Williams can shim out the liners to make it a lot safer.

Can't help but think it's so much better to rip block out and do a proper job of it than shimming them, if you've got head off, it's only driveshafts and a few more bolts and the engine falls out...

With regards to the 220ps/230ps - I'm 99% it is all software... Possibly a thing that the T7 engine isn't a US destined engine - the T3 is a "world" engine, is sold in the US etc - but not sure the T7 is.

And there's quite a reputable mechanic who works software and mapping, so covers my main concern or mapping. The rest is mechanical parts to sort out! Easy peasy! 

Think I've made my mind up. If the car/engine was no good you would've said by now Smile
Thanks given by:
I've just bought a V50 T5, so I hope they're good :-P everything I've read says 260ish from a remap, 290ish with intake and exhaust mods, pish much beyond 300 and you'll need to shim the liners.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Does it have to be a C30? If you want big power, best bet would be an 850 or S70/V70 T5 with the 2.3 5-pot, far stronger engines that are capable of 400bhp with standard internals as long as you're careful about who maps it, just needs a bigger turbo. Is it specifically a C30 you want or just a Volvo?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,687 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,709 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg
  Raspberry pi. Talk to me. ginge191 7 1,990 20-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore