Brake failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake failure
Thumbs Down 
Hey folks.

Bought a car at the start of the month and had several accounts of the brakes failing. The brake pedal goes solid and I'm unable to press it down. Took it to the garage and they said it was the vacuum pump so replaced it and said it was fixed. Then upon driving to the lake district the same thing happened again but this time along with entire electrical failure of the car. I found out that the negative terminal on the battery was loose so tightened that back on and everything seemed to be fine so I assumed it was that. Then lo and behold it happened again...

Anyway I've done some searching and some forum posts suggest that it might be the " 3" piece of braided rubber pipe between the vacuum pump pipe and the metal pipe running across the bulkhead ". But that it might also be the one way valve that plugs into the servo that the pipework from the vacuum pump connects to.

All I'd like to know is where are these located in my engine? Going to try and have a look myself.
Thanks given by:
Which car/engine is this?
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Depending on engine, Vacuum pump could be above the bell housing attached to the side of the head. Said rubber pipe will be coming out of it and into the afore mentioned metal pipe which goes along the bulkhead into the servo.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hey guys, I've got the 2.0 HDI Engine. Cheers for the response Tom I'll have a look Smile
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13051.ht...ight=brake
Thanks given by:
Excellent dude cheers!
Thanks given by:
I was trying to pull the braided pipe off the metal pipe that ran along the bulkhead and I've bent the pipe slightly. [Image: 6948pl.jpg]

Should I replace or will it be fine? The bend is only slight but I've bent it back and forth a couple times to get it somewhat flat...
Thanks given by:
If there are no cracks or holes in it, it could be fine. Bung one end up and fill it with parafin, or if not, water, to check for bigger leaks.

Chances are it is a vacuum hose that has gone rather than that pipe Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Oh and does anyone know where I can get replacement braided rubber pipe as I've split all mine to check them lol

(10-02-2014, 01:49 PM)Grant Wrote: If there are no cracks or holes in it, it could be fine. Bung one end up and fill it with parafin, or if not, water, to check for bigger leaks.

Chances are it is a vacuum hose that has gone rather than that pipe Smile

Cheers dude Smile

The problem I'm having is that it's intermittent. I can drive it for an hour or two and then suddenly the brake pedal won't press down, then it might come back on again. The other day I drove it for about 15 mins before the brake pedal refused to budge then I had to limp it home using the gears to brake. Right before I got home however, the brake pedal started pressing down again like nothing was wrong... I'm starting to think it's the servo...

I also don't know if it's worth mentioning but when I drive the car it keeps losing power as if I'm putting the brakes ON whilst I'm accelerating. The only thing I can liken it to is; when you're low on fuel and your car is almost coughing with lack of fuel. Sort of slowing right down. Judders when I'm in lower gears.
Thanks given by:
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks given by:
sounds like a knackered servo or vacuum pump.
Thanks given by:
I thought as much, I just didn't want to admit it as I've just had the vacuum pump replaced! Guess I'll just have to replace the servo then! Cheers mate :-)

Any tips on getting these rubber hoses over the metal pipes? Tongue I've got it half way but can't force it any further! Is it okay to use WD40 or a bit of detergent?
Thanks given by:
have you removed/unplugged your EGR valve?
did you plug the vacuum line if you did ??
Thanks given by:
Nah I haven't messed with it but I saw your thread and was going to try sorting that out as I think that's what's causing the sudden losses of power. Presumably I'm just plugging this tube up?
Thanks given by:
personaly i would use a plate and blank the valve
but yes if you unplug the vacuum line ,that needs blocking
Thanks given by:
I'll have another look at your thread and see what I can do. Got a few days to wait until I can get the servo here anyway so might as well!

Oh and while I'm remembering, does anyone know where I can get cheaper servo's than on carparts4less? £120 is just not accessible at the moment!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake pipe failure Mighty306 3 1,814 15-08-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  MOT failure on brake hoses philpemberton94 10 1,953 23-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Last Post: philpemberton94
  brake failure LewisG306 2 956 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Piggy