Brakes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes.
Does anyone know what size bolts are used on the front calliper carriers?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gti6 carrier to hub bolts part number anyone?
Thanks given by:
IIRC 19mm head size but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2013, 02:35 PM)bigtone0777 Wrote: IIRC 19mm head size but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers.

Is pug my best bet for these?
Thanks given by:
Anywhere that sells fasteners as long as they arn't made of cheese or grab some from a scrappy
Thanks given by:
cheers again.
Thanks given by:
yeah the thread is quite specific.

but they are all the same bolt...so any 306, any caliper, and the bolts will fit yours
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If youre putting GTI6 brakes onto your lesser model 306 make sure you get the carrier bolts off the 6 as theyre slightly different, iv got the standard carrier bolts holding my 6 brakes onto my Dturbo and the callipers move ever so slightly. Not dangerous but its one of those things...
Thanks given by:
A new set of bolts from pug is like six quid. They're going to be holding your brakes on, is it worth scrimping..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
they shouldnt move at all.

the bolts are all identical
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2013, 10:58 PM)Lolben91 Wrote: If youre putting GTI6 brakes onto your lesser model 306 make sure you get the carrier bolts off the 6 as theyre slightly different, iv got the standard carrier bolts holding my 6 brakes onto my Dturbo and the callipers move ever so slightly. Not dangerous but its one of those things...

Something is f*cked there. If they move, the bolts aren't clamped up, if the bolts aren't clamped up, how the hell can you say that's not dangerous Dodgy
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I had the same problem with bolt length fitting gti brakes to the dt but one hub is abs other is non abs, so for the non abs one i had to make so spacers to fit so the caliper was soilidly mounted, also i advise threadlocking the carrier and caliper bolts as mine kept working themselves loose no matter what torque they were
Thanks given by:
I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure all 306 carrier bolts are the same length! People just think there different/can't get them right because the carriers are different thickness so the end treads on the hub don't get used and get a load of muck in them. All they need is cleaning out with a tread chaser
Thanks given by:
The callipers only move ever so slightly outwards from the disk if you put both hands on them and lift, but not across the disk. Im told the 6 carrier bolts are ever so slightly thicker. The standard callipers were solid in place and the day i put the 6 callipers on they were solid, was only about a week later i noticed when i put the coilovers on that they were movable, tried to tighten the bolts but they were still as tight as i had left them. I wouldnt say its dangerous in the way it effects braking because the pads are still fully on the disk, but i imagine after a while the carrier bolts are going to take a bit of a beating :\ id completely forgotten about it till now, gonna start ringing some breakers!
Thanks given by:
They won't be any thicker, the thread is the same. Even if they were, it wouldn't make any difference, a bolt works on friction generated by clamp load, it's not a peg. Ergo, if it's moving, they're not clamping, at all.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
When you swap over the calipers you need to clean out the mounting holes as it has years of crap in there and it stops the bolt going any further. Dont keep turning the bolt though as it needs cleaning properly instead of just forcing the bolt through. Also the bolts are exactly the same
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by:
Iv taken the calliper off the hub just now and the bolt heads were dirty, but when i took the standard callipers off the bolts were spotless, even had this blue stuff on the end my friend said was thread locker? Give the hub and bolts a good scrub with cloth, wire brush and WD40 and after a drive to and from the shops theyre still holding firm in place!

The way iv been looking at it (and told why my callipers rocked) was that the carriers rested on the smoothed area of the carrier bolts aswell as being held to the hub by the head of the bolt, why it rocks is because that smoothed area doesnt fill the carrier holes which would allow movement. I take it this is wrong and the force between the threaded section of the bolt and the head of the bolt are what actually hold the calliper to the hub?

Once i took the calliper off the hub i was able to move the carrier bolt around inside the carrier hole itself on the calliper, but i take it that is irrelevant?
Thanks given by:
The blue stuff is threadlock and you should always use some when reusing the bolts just as a safety net. Yes, the bolt clamps down, the smoothed area doesn't matter, it's just to help with location.
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2013, 06:29 PM)Lolben91 Wrote: The way iv been looking at it (and told why my callipers rocked) was that the carriers rested on the smoothed area of the carrier bolts aswell as being held to the hub by the head of the bolt, why it rocks is because that smoothed area doesnt fill the carrier holes which would allow movement. I take it this is wrong and the force between the threaded section of the bolt and the head of the bolt are what actually hold the calliper to the hub?

I dont suppose its just the caliper that moves slightly not the carrier, if so that'd make sense???
Thanks given by:
No the whole caliper moved, not the part on the sliders. Rippthrough that's cleared up my questions, guys thanks for the info, you've all been very helpful!
Thanks given by:
No problem, just remind me never to drive in front of you whistle
Thanks given by:
Hahaha, shall do mate!
Thanks given by: