clutch/gearbox problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clutch/gearbox problems
me again with another problem.... is there no end.
just went for a drive earlier and then suddenly something went weird i couldnt get it into gear as iff the clutch was pressed.
i managed to get into gear with a weird clunkyness when it used to be smooth.
the peddle was vibrating quiet bad. i pulled up to a junction and dropped the clutch but its stalled then i could get it out off second so had to start it in second then the peddle chilled out and i could just about change gear but felt reaally rough.
when i pulled up to my house parked up with the engine on put the clutch in and put it into first and the car started vibrating and as i changed up the gears it got worse (this is still with the clutch in) the car drives fine and doesnt slip. any ideas??
Thanks given by:
difficult to say from a distance.....but vibrating clutch pedal.........clutch withdrawl  problem??  fingers worn off clutch diaphragm spring may be??  release bearing unit gone bad??  loose flywheel???????????????   gear box bolts/bell housing loose??????

are all the gear change rods, ball joints, pivots all ok??
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the clutch is dragging for some reason. It could be the cable but I think it's more likely the clutch itself unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
hmmm cheers guys it seams like no mater what the problem is its gunna be a gearbox off job then i may as well swap it for the hdi box ive got. a few more points though it used to wine at 2k+ revs although it may have stopped when all the occurred, i do also have a pretty bad oil leak so might be possible oil got in.

the hdi box ive got was put in the car along with a replacement engine that got partially finished as a project the engine looks good but ive not had it running, its also apparently a slightly lower mileage engine than mine and is fitted with the T2 and will fit the bosch when its out of the car, its got a different mani to fit the FMIC. soooo its alot of the jobs i was hoping to do im just not sure if its worth swapping now or not
Thanks given by:
with the car as it is, and an assistant pressing the clutch pedal to your instruction, and the engine off. listen to the clutch area, also watch the crank pulley/flywheel endfloat..........

any crunching noises as if the clutch release bearing unit if passing thru worn clutch diaphragm fingers?

have you had this car long and do you tend to sit at traffic lights etc in gear pressing the clutch down with the engine running???

I tend not to do the above but slip it into neutral so not so much wear and tear on clutch bearing, crank end float bearings etc, its an old car so we treat it as  gently as we can.
Thanks given by:
ok will have a look. ive had the car 6 months or so and try to put in to neutral as much as i can.
Thanks given by:
Inclined to say dead release bearing from the description, definitely gearbox off job whatever the cause is. If i was you i'd stick to one job at a time (coming from a man who took his car off the road for a few weeks to fit two turbos... that was last April. Blush)
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
just found out today that the clutch does slip at 3K.

(13-07-2015, 07:07 PM)Poodle Wrote: Inclined to say dead release bearing from the description, definitely gearbox off job whatever the cause is. If i was you i'd stick to one job at a time (coming from a man who took his car off the road for a few weeks to fit two turbos... that was last April. Blush)

see i was thinking this but on the other hand if i do the box and engine in one then technically its only one job -_- and i reaaaaaaalllly cant be arsed to do it again, i want a running car for a while also T2, bosch, and FMIC thats most of my planned mods ticked off. on the other hand i know very little about the engine it, it was someones uncompleted project the cambelt looks like its been replaced its got new glow plugs allot of the pipes that are screwed on mine look new so i assume he had spent time and money on it annnnddd ive pretty much stripped every thing already all i need to do is disconnect the power steering and the heater matrix pipes then the mounts
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helix organic hdi clutch problems Piggy 17 2,623 27-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough
  Hdi Clutch problems Moonstone2.0 10 2,924 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Toms306