knocking O/S/R wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
knocking O/S/R wheel
I have got a knocking from the offside rear wheel, mainly does it when i'm turning right so when the least amount of weight is on it. There is no play in the wheel, well not whilst it's on the floor. The noise get's a lot quieter when touching the brakes. It's a constant noise, ie. it happens on each rotation of the wheel.

I know the best thing to do right now is to jack it up and have a poke around, but the weather is AWFUL and i'm fed up of getting soaked whilst working on it at the minute! So for now just seeing if anyone has any rough idea of what it could be or had the same thing happen etc etc.

It's really annoying and quite loud aswell. Thought it could be a knackered bearing but can't imagine touching the brakes would stop the noise.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If your mechanic can find drop links on a rear wheel he's looking at the wrong car.

Tell him to check his specs and look at the 306.

*grin*

On a more on topic note, pick it up and feel for play with it in air, that'll let you know the state of the wheel bearing,

If no dice, pop the wheel off and have a look if the wheel has been scrubbing the wheel arch liner, if so it might well be your trailing arm bearing.

Knocking can also be subframe mounts. Have a look at them see what state they are in and check for play.
Thanks given by:
It's on solid mounts, the beam has just been rebuilt and there is no play whatsoever in the wheel. Starting to think that the sound is travelling and could be O/S driveshaft.

I might just change both rear hubs and bearings anyway because they look knackered and covered in rust.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Well I jacked up and checked each wheel, also turned the steering to the right as that's when it knocks and everything seems fine Undecided This is going to be a pain
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Something in the boot? Maybe the wheel bar or jack come lose?
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't knock with each rotation of the wheel though. But no my car is completely empty.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ah sorry, skim read.

I thought my boot was empty as well but had annoying knock. It was the wheel bar clip had broken so the bar was knocking the inside of the boot lol.

Also got another interesting knock which sounds terrible, honestly thought the beam mounts had foiled...truned out to be the exhaust hitting the bumper lol.
Thanks given by:
have you checked the caliper's not come loose?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Or passenger side drive shaft? Could be travelling sound.. If it's when you turn right 99% it will be the left side of the car.
Thanks given by:
Right so i've spent the last hour taking each wheel off, checked everything was as tight as it should be, checked for play in the driveshafts of which the O/S had none and the N/S had the tiniest amount of movement. Took the brakes off to listen to each of the wheel bearings and they are all quiet and perfectly smooth. Also checked the bolts on the ream beam mounts and they are all as they should be.

I think i'm just going to replace both driveshafts and see what happens. I think the bearing on the O/S is going anyway because I can feel vibration through the pedals which gets worse with road speed not engine speed.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knocking And Wheel bolt issue Scott_GT 8 1,847 22-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Scott_GT