306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
XUD powered kit car - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: XUD powered kit car (/showthread.php?tid=6559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 08-04-2013

Been a while since an update... Passed MOT with flying carpets. I've covered a few hundred miles now, in that time I've been sorting out suspension and cooling which are good now. Performance is pretty decent considering it's still at stock power, now the cooling is sorted I'll start upping the power. I've binned my silencer and made a straight through exhaust, it's no louder than when it was had a petrol engine with a silencer.

I'm in dire need of new tyres, the ones I have at the moment are about 7 years old budget ditch hunters, that combined with the cold weather isn't making for much grip at the moment!

[Image: 5.jpg]

RE: XUD project - Frosty - 08-04-2013

That looks pretty awesome!!

XUD project - Jake - 08-04-2013

Love it...

That boost gauge mounted in the Conrod is win too!

RE: XUD project - Chris_90 - 08-04-2013

What a great project! Carnt wait to see what its like with some power! Big Grin

RE: XUD project - Pompey306mark - 08-04-2013

I like the new inlet, that's what I was looking at for my engine to move the inlet from the front.

RE: XUD project - Piggy - 16-06-2013

what you bust in ya pump was the governor cradle...

thats the bit you desperately need to mod for this car...mod the gov, up the fuel and boost and see 5,500rpm!

looking and sounding awesome by the way

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 19-06-2013

(16-06-2013, 07:47 AM)Piggy Wrote: what you bust in ya pump was the governor cradle...

thats the bit you desperately need to mod for this car...mod the gov, up the fuel and boost and see 5,500rpm!

looking and sounding awesome by the way

Yeah you're right about gov modding, I'll get on that soon ThumbsUp

It sounds great in the drivers seat, the exhaust tip is right next to me so you can hear all the turbo sounds. According to people who aren't in the car it's not very loud even with the straight through exhaust. It must just appear to be as I'm sitting about a foot from the end of the exhaust.

One chap who used to share our workshop with us had a 205 1.8 diesel NA, his exhaust fell off and he had to get home without it, it was hilariously loud, could hear him for about 2 miles. Quite cool how much the turbo silences things, not sure how much that changes when putting a bigger turbo on though

Took the car to Newark kit car show at the weekend, I went on the rainy of the 2 days so turnout wasn't great, although i've seen it a lot worse in the past.
[Image: 15062013968.jpg]

Also took it to Ashby Folville. There people were looking round it, asking questions and chatting to me for ages, really nice friendly meet up. At the kit car show people would walk around it silently before wandering off. May have touched a nerve Big Grin

RE: XUD project - Paul Baldwin - 18-08-2013

Hi.

Have you made any more progress with this? I've been toying with the idea of ditching the 2.1 Pinto in my Vindicator for a while. Especially now after helping out a little with this project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-4029-page-11.html Big Grin I'm liking the idea of the VNT with a more linear power curve. I've had the chance to Cozzy power my car in the past but never did it as I didn't fancy the combination of coming on boost halfway through a bend and taking a quick exit into the scenery!

What's the verdict on gearbox/diff ratios for performance/drive-ability?

Ta.
Paul.

Ps. Loving the inlet mani!

RE: XUD project - darrenjlobb - 18-08-2013

Bigger the blower - louder it is Tongue Unless its a VNT Tongue

RE: XUD project - Piggy - 18-08-2013

yeah would love to know how this is going

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 18-08-2013

It's still on the road and going well. I did the gov mod and it made a huge difference. The problem now is that I've hit a bit of a cooling limit so I'll be out having a blast and really enjoying it but when pushing hard I'll have to back off as the temps are getting too high. The radiator size and position isn't great so that's something to improve soon. I'll probably end up modifying the nose cone so I can have the intercooler and radiator right up front.

The gearing needs sorting too. 1st gear has no use at all, the rear diff (ford sierra) is 3.62:1 and I'd like to swap to a 3.14 although these are expensive. Out of interest, at what speed do your cars come on boost when in 5th gear? It really feels like it needs a 6th gear. Ahh so a bigger turbo does make it louder Big Grin

I prefer it to when I had a pinto, no doubt. Boost and cornering hasn't caused any issues for me, soon got used to it really. Long list of things to improve on, which doesn't bother me at all, look forward to fettling!

Sorting out the gearing, cooling and a bit more power and it'll be flip hot. It's been v reliable and frugal on fuel. Most of my workshop time recently has been spent putting a merc diesel engine in a volvo amazon so I'll start to sort the MK cooling issues out when I've got some more done on the volvo, until then I'm just enjoying driving it about ThumbsUp

RE: XUD project - Paul Baldwin - 20-08-2013

I had a rad fitted like that to my car when I first got it. Fit a smaller rad vertical in the nosecone and it'll work twice as well ime. I picked up a suitable one off a scrap pile and then got someone to ID it. I think it was Talbot Horizon but that was about 15 years ago so don't quote me on it.
What's the 3.14 fitted too?
Glad you're enjoying it Big Grin Frugal and fun to drive must be a proper combo!

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 21-08-2013

Yeah i'll try the rad in the nosecone next. When I had the pinto in it never got very hot at all really. What power is your 2.1 pinto making? Is it on carbs or injection?

The 3.14 diff is from some sierra diesels, but they are rare. You can pick up a 3.62 or a 3.92 open diff from the £30-50 and up range, but the 3.14 starts at about £200, usually £250+ Sad I have a 3.62 LSD and if I got a 3.14 then I could mix and match and end up with a 3.14LSD.

RE: XUD project - Piggy - 21-08-2013

boost on standard t2 tuned to 24psi for me comes on hard about 55mph at a guess.
you may need to real careful though, xuds dont like it above 100degrees

are you running a different turbo then?!

Re: XUD project - THE_Liam - 21-08-2013

Mines a K14 and starts boosting around 50 in 5th, spools up quicker than K14s I've had before though. Get some pics up of that Amazon! Also, I think 2.3 Scorpios have a pretty high diff, don't know if it'll fit your axle though...

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 22-08-2013

(21-08-2013, 08:34 PM)Piggy Wrote: boost on standard t2 tuned to 24psi for me comes on hard about 55mph at a guess.
you may need to real careful though, xuds dont like it above 100degrees

are you running a different turbo then?!

Ahh okay, mine starts to boost at a similar speed then. The hottest it's been was about 98/99 for a short period, haven't got above low 90's since. Yeah I changed from K14 to T2 after the K14 died.

(21-08-2013, 09:24 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Mines a K14 and starts boosting around 50 in 5th, spools up quicker than K14s I've had before though. Get some pics up of that Amazon! Also, I think 2.3 Scorpios have a pretty high diff, don't know if it'll fit your axle though...

I think there was a 3.36 from the scorpio which would be an improvement, I'll keep an eye out Smile Edit: think they were all 7.5" diffs, my current diff is 7" so wouldn't fit Sad

The amazon took me over a year to weld, it was a bit of a rot box. Back on 4 wheels now after painting the underside and rebuilding the suspension.
[Image: 20130813_170208.jpg]

RE: XUD project - Piggy - 22-08-2013

what psi is the t2 at now??
mine goes up to about 97/98degrees on full boost up a long 1.5mile hill near me...but will then drop again after

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 23-08-2013

20psi at the mo

RE: XUD project - Piggy - 23-08-2013

thats good.
They will go close to 30psi but lose a lot of efficiency passed 23/24psi.

RE: XUD project - Paul Baldwin - 23-08-2013

(21-08-2013, 11:08 AM)Xud Missile Wrote: Yeah i'll try the rad in the nosecone next. When I had the pinto in it never got very hot at all really. What power is your 2.1 pinto making? Is it on carbs or injection?

The 3.14 diff is from some sierra diesels, but they are rare. You can pick up a 3.62 or a 3.92 open diff from the £30-50 and up range, but the 3.14 starts at about £200, usually £250+ Sad I have a 3.62 LSD and if I got a 3.14 then I could mix and match and end up with a 3.14LSD.

I've never had the 2.1 on the road running at it's potential. It's built for circa 165/170 according to the engine builder. On the standard carb it was probably 130ish. Heats never been an issue tho, even when ragged really hard on the hottest summer days. The old Vindi isn't exactly light either. I just cant justify the setup and fuel costs of the 40's I've got fitted to it tho.
What about P100 diffs? Rare too now but it might widen the search? Tranny diff? Been too long out the scene to remember what's plug and play. Blush
Bit off topic but I had a go in a Roadrunner SR2 last night. It's the no8 black car on their site. 480kg, 140+ bhp and R888's all round. I have never, ever, ever been in a car that can be pushed that hard round a bend! Big Grin

RE: XUD project - Xud Missile - 24-08-2013

Think the P100 and trannys are live axle, I've got IRS. When I was on twin webers I didn't have heat issues either, I had slight fuel issues though... 20mpg TMI Big Grin

Roadrunner SR2 sounds awesome Big Grin That's rather lightweight haha! I took the MK to a weigh bridge a few months back, 620kg so quite beefy compared to the roadrunner!

RE: XUD project - Paul Baldwin - 25-08-2013

(24-08-2013, 08:57 PM)Xud Missile Wrote: Think the P100 and trannys are live axle, I've got IRS. When I was on twin webers I didn't have heat issues either, I had slight fuel issues though... 20mpg TMI Big Grin

Blush oops, told you lol.

I had bigger jets in mine and was regularly seeing 15mpg Angry Lead foot apparently and the roads round here just ask for it lol.

620kg isn't half bad I'd have thought. The SR2 seemed to hop and skip a lot. It gave me the impression it was too light for road use on certain stretches of road. Mind you, I was being lifted off the seat too, glad I had the harnesses on!

How many mpg can you get now? Have you tried to see just how economical it can be out of interest?

I don't know how accurate the info here is http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Sierra_Rear_Differential

It's comprehensive tho! It seems the diesel is 3.38 but it's also available on some other models.

RE: XUD project - Dum-Dum - 25-08-2013

awesome bit of kit mate. look forward to seeing how it goes with some tuning.

Freelanders have a 2.5 (ish) diff and are IRS if you fancy a bit of fab.

RE: XUD project - Martin306 - 26-08-2013

Hello!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what gearbox are you using? Did you cut the bell housing from a 306 gearbox and weld/bolt it on?

XUD project - Sambarker - 26-08-2013

(29-09-2012, 11:23 AM)londondan86 Wrote: Epic! Full of xud win there mate. What gearbox are you going to use to sent the power to tge back?

I'm using a gearbox from an LDV pilot. I looked up the ratios recently and they're actually a lot better than I was expecting, better than the ford type 9 I used to have in my kit car. The pilots had mad high rear axle ratios (and n/a engine) so don't exactly have a reputation for speed Big Grin

From first page

RE: XUD project - Martin306 - 26-08-2013

(26-08-2013, 06:24 PM)Sambarker Wrote:
(29-09-2012, 11:23 AM)londondan86 Wrote: Epic! Full of xud win there mate. What gearbox are you going to use to sent the power to tge back?

I'm using a gearbox from an LDV pilot. I looked up the ratios recently and they're actually a lot better than I was expecting, better than the ford type 9 I used to have in my kit car. The pilots had mad high rear axle ratios (and n/a engine) so don't exactly have a reputation for speed Big Grin

From first page

D'oh I completely missed that! Ta Smile

RE: XUD project - colin247 - 08-10-2013

(26-08-2013, 08:59 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(26-08-2013, 06:24 PM)Sambarker Wrote:

From first page

D'oh I completely missed that! Ta Smile

If anyone is thinking of doing a similar thing I have a bell housing for an XUD to Rover LT77 gearbox.

RE: XUD project - Wor Jimmy - 26-01-2014

(15-01-2013, 01:29 PM)Xud Missile Wrote: Nah it's not for sale Tongue Pump mods will follow shortly Big Grin

I actually had a useful experience with the DVLA recently, which was nice. V5 will be sent off soon along with a letter/photos to update CC and fuel type. I've done engine swaps before but the engines I've used before have all had engine numbers. I thought this would be a big problem but apparently not ThumbsUp

I've made an inlet plenum from scrap steel. Not the prettiest thing but for getting me on the road and clearing the bonnet it'll do fine for now, and there's less intercooler pipework and less mad bends. When the car is on the road I'll work on a V2 plenum that's lighter and flows better.

My headlights have been modified (from a motorbike so beam pattern had to be altered) and I've made a good start on the gearbox remote linkage. As it stands I have to lean forwards to change gear, the gearstick would be underneath the dash if it was attached! So the linkage will bring it back about 8". A fuel return connector needs to be made on the tank, then fuel lines. Working through the list nicely but dreading the wiring Sad Not that wiring an XUD is hard Big Grin it's the mess that the loom is in at the moment, needs an overhaul.

[Image: inlet01_zps421c0aba.jpg]

[Image: inlet02_zpse73277e0.jpg]

Nice to see them gas bottles are useful!.. cause they hold feck all gas wize lmao

I shall continue reading this thread now Big Grin

---------------------------------------------------

Great thread mate. I was talking to Dean, saying I wanted to make a DT Trike (due to being on a bike licence) so he sent me this to give me ideas Big Grin

RE: XUD project - Tom - 26-01-2014

We need an update in here!

RE: XUD project - Dean - 26-01-2014

XUD Trike, has to be done.. James get designing a frame lol