306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Which oil for an old petrol turbo (/showthread.php?tid=36900)

Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Ben - 11-06-2018

I'm trying to decide which oil to get for my Volvo redblock turbo engine. There are many threads on the subject but many different opinions, some say fully synthetic 5w40, some say 20w50 mineral. 
15w-40 semi seems to be quite a common suggestion. Is there a reason you'd want a thicker oil on start up, rather than a 10w? I've got a gulf competition 10w40 in the shed but won't use it if 15w is needed

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Poodle - 11-06-2018

I'd say the 10w40 is absolutely fine. If it's in daily use a lower cold viscosity rating will make it better when running up to temp. The higher hot ratings - 50 and up - are only really needed for highly tuned engines that are put under a lot of stress, track weapons etc.

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Ben - 11-06-2018

Cheers Alex, think I'll go for a 10w40, but a semi synthetic rather than the gulf stuff incase of crappy old seals.
By the way there's a few of us going to the retro car shows at silverstone and Santa pod on Sat and Sun, don't know if you might fancy it?

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Martin306 - 12-06-2018

How much tuning have you done to the redblock?

And which turbo redblock do you have?

My questions have absolutely nothing to do with the oil you should use.

10W40 semi synthetic will do for road use.

Mineral oil is nasty on an engine that's been so well built from the factory.

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Ben - 21-06-2018

It's had exhaust, injectors and air filter changed. Still on standard turbo at the mo and will be until I've sorted out a few running issues. Will probably put on a td04-16t. It's a B200FT.
That's what I went for in the end. Cheers

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Martin306 - 21-06-2018

(21-06-2018, 08:34 PM)Ben Wrote: It's had exhaust, injectors and air filter changed. Still on standard turbo at the mo and will be until I've sorted out a few running issues. Will probably put on a td04-16t. It's a B200FT.
That's what I went for in the end. Cheers

16T will wake it up a bit, the 8v is a tough engine. Should be able to get that over 200hp without running into too many issues.

RE: Which oil for an old petrol turbo - Ben - 22-06-2018

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for, nothing too silly as its for a daily driver.
When I got it was pretty quick as it had no vacuum hose on the turbo so had been running de-wastegated. Hoping this hasn't done too much damage. I don't think the engine was getting the full pressure due to an intercooler leak, so hopefully that's saved the engine a bit