306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Diesel Turbo Thermostat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have noticed my TD's never really getting up to temperature and sits just above 70.

Looked at a couple of different stats in the scrappy today.

Can anyone tell me why there was a design change in about 98.

This pic shows the two designs:

[Image: DSCN7336.jpg]

How will they function differently?
sitting at just above 70 is fairly common especially in this weather, i wouldn't necessarily blame the thermostat. what type of driving are you doing? if its open road the temperature shouldnt rise much above 80 even on a hot day unless your booting it for prolonged periods, does it rise upto 90 in traffic then fans kick in?
I can't say I've heard the fan since owning the car, but that's not to say they don't work, as I've only done about 200 miles. On a run yesterday it didn't even get up to 80, sat at maybe 75, but I was being gentle and it is pretty cold. Just thought with it being an 83 Deg C stat, it would sit just over 80.
Na as Ozonehostile says 70 is about right in this weather will be hard to get high temps unless your seriously hooning or stuck in some hardcore traffic with engine running
(08-12-2012, 06:34 PM)Super-G Wrote: [ -> ]I can't say I've heard the fan since owning the car, but that's not to say they don't work, as I've only done about 200 miles. On a run yesterday it didn't even get up to 80, sat at maybe 75, but I was being gentle and it is pretty cold. Just thought with it being an 83 Deg C stat, it would sit just over 80.

the 83 degree refers to the temp it opens at. if you want to test the fans easiest way is give it a thrash down the road to properly heat it up then stop and leave it running too see if the fan kicks in at around 85-90
I'm not sure why people are saying that 70 degrees is normal or how they can tell that it is at 70 degrees because that is right at the start of the temperature gauge! There is one line between 70 and 90 which I am guessing is 75 and when fully warmed up it sits just past that so 76 is the normal temperature.
Mine sits just above the 80 mark at this time of year. summer time its not really much higher unless in traffic. new thermostat and aftermarket thick radiator.

And the one on the left in your photo, in the xud7 that extra bit with the spring blocks the oil heat exchanger when the water is cold. must do something similar in the xud9 but i cant say il looked into it before
Where did you get the aftermarket rad from?
It came out of a 6 that i bought for spares, looks like a nissens. but its 2x the size of the original. i needed to convert the cooling system to the Ph1 type without the expansion tank
(08-12-2012, 08:31 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: [ -> ]Where did you get the aftermarket rad from?
this

Also the mark in the middle is for 80 degrees
It's interesting you should say that as the line is noticeably further towards the 70 so I am skeptical but yield to your greater experience with these lumps.
on mine they all equally spaced. 70 marked, 80 unmarked, 90 marked, 100 unmarked, 110 unmarked, Red. I have got a phase 2 now what phase is yours 306Puggy?
Took my thermostat out today and tested it in hot water. It does opens and closes at about the right temp, so I've put it back in. But the temperature gauge still doesn't really sit as high as I thought it would. The temp gets up to about 75 then drops back down to 70. Put my foot down a bit up a hill and it did creep almost up to 80 for a brief moment, but was back down to 70 odd in no time.

So the thermostat's working fine and I'm just not used to seeing such a cool running motor Sleepy
^^^^ fine for this weather
(09-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Kwik Wrote: [ -> ]on mine they all equally spaced. 70 marked, 80 unmarked, 90 marked, 100 unmarked, 110 unmarked, Red. I have got a phase 2 now what phase is yours 306Puggy?

Phase 1 with VDO clocks.
i know the ones you on about yea that first line is close much closer then mine and it goes from 90 - 110 nothing between that. maybe yours is 75 but i'd be more inclined with the 80 as the marks go up in 10's or 20's on all if that makes sense
Yeah that does make sense, but I do wonder why they put it about a third of the way up instead of in the middle. Just to clarify for anyone who hasn't seen the VDO temprature gauge we are talking about it looks like this:
[Image: P1010029-1.jpg]
Which has been the cause of much confusion when it comes to discussing running tempatures! I am guessing most phase 1s have the Jaeger instrument panel.
Mine sits at 70 all day long 75 max in summer unless loadin her then she can fly up to 95 and then i remember to flick the fans on cos the twat who owned the car wired the single 8" fan direct and not thru stat.

But even 8" does the trick with heaters on full blow Smile
both my DT's have hung around 81 . . .you have got FMIC though eh? guess that would encourage cool runnings lol
(11-12-2012, 09:36 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: [ -> ]both my DT's have hung around 81 . . .you have got FMIC though eh? guess that would encourage cool runnings lol

I got a shit front bumper with cracks holes and grille missing haha but have another ready to go on in new year so may raise temp with a griller and no holes haha
really don't think they're supposed to run at 70 tbh . .seems a bit too cold to me .Smile
They should run at 80*c all day long... If they're cooler than that then the thermostat is broken.... Often they'll take a while to warm up as you're using all the heat through the heater matrix, but once they are up to temperature, they'll sit at 80*c...

Don't assume in this weather that they'll get hot standing as they won't, that's the difference between a Diesel and a Petrol, a diesel idling produces very little heat... This is why they are so damned.efficient... HDis have a heater in the coolant system for this reason, when they're at low load when cold they often will take hours to heat up as the thermal efficiency is that great...
Well im not fixing it as it doesnt seem broken and have a long list of other things to fix haha
(11-12-2012, 10:28 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]They should run at 80*c all day long... If they're cooler than that then the thermostat is broken.... Often they'll take a while to warm up as you're using all the heat through the heater matrix, but once they are up to temperature, they'll sit at 80*c...

Don't assume in this weather that they'll get hot standing as they won't, that's the difference between a Diesel and a Petrol, a diesel idling produces very little heat... This is why they are so damned.efficient... HDis have a heater in the coolant system for this reason, when they're at low load when cold they often will take hours to heat up as the thermal efficiency is that great...

That's interesting you should say that Ruan, I noticed it yesterday night. Barely got over 70 after a 6 mile drive with the heaters on. As someone who has just replaced their heater matrix, I was surprised at how quickly there is heat coming out of the heaters though, even if it does slow down the engine's warming. After about two minutes the air is warm from the heaters. Also the warm air smell that the heater matrix makes is very niceSmile
(11-12-2012, 10:34 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: [ -> ]Well im not fixing it as it doesnt seem broken and have a long list of other things to fix haha

lol +1
(11-12-2012, 12:58 PM)306Puggy Wrote: [ -> ]After about two minutes the air is warm from the heaters. Also the warm air smell that the heater matrix makes is very niceSmile

Your strange!
lol
I agree with puggy although my excuse is 3 winters no heating now im toasty at 6am :p
Thought I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread.

Whole time I've had the car, since November, temp has always sat on 70/just under. Only time I'd seen it get any warmer was sitting in loads of traffic in central London and recently where it has been getting warmer. I was wondering if there was something wrong with it as my previous XUD was never that low when at running temperature. Radiator looks like it's just out the box though so could that be why? Lot better condition that the rad from the other car.

Been rising to 80-85 last few days but as soon as I can get moving properly the temp goes back down rather swiftly. Am I just needlessly worrying?
Bust thermostat.

Shove a new one in.

Though I must say, XUDs have a bad habit of wrecking thermostats in my experience, every time I build an engine I put a new one in and seemingly after a year or so they are doing funny things...

As said, they should sit at a smidge over 80*C all day long once up to temperature.
Cheers Ruan, changed it today using Dum's suggestion of a Peugeot one. Sits at pretty much 80 now which I'm happy with.