306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Rpm vs mph
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi is it me or does my diesel command hi revs vs road speed ie

3000 rpm @ 70 mph
nope that's right . . Smile
Thought it was 2900?
Depends how much fuel your running aswell :p
Well.. no it doesn't Tom
(16-11-2012, 09:46 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Well.. no it doesn't Tom

ThumbsUp
How so? I cant remember which way it was but in my old d tub if i turned the fuel up or down the revs would sit higher or lower at 70mph it was directly related to fueling Confused
RPM and gearing are what affect road speed. 1000bhp or 100bhp, at the same engine speed and gear ratio you'll be going at the same road speed Wink
lol oh dear.......
(16-11-2012, 09:50 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]RPM and gearing are what affect road speed. 1000bhp or 100bhp, at the same engine speed and gear ratio you'll be going at the same road speed Wink

Did not know that. Well played Cool
Oh right that's ok then thought it was a bit high
normal for a dturbo box hdi box is about 500rpm lower that's why myself and others have converted or are converting
(16-11-2012, 09:21 AM)Willo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi is it me or does my diesel command hi revs vs road speed ie

3000 rpm @ 70 mph
Nah thats about right for a non turbo diesel. A DT or HDi gearbox will drop your revs lower. IIRC the DT is about 2700 at 70mph and the HDi is 2450rpm at 70mph.

If you do want a DT box im putting a HDi box on mine in the next few weeks so you can have my old box for a tenner.

(16-11-2012, 09:49 AM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]How so? I cant remember which way it was but in my old d tub if i turned the fuel up or down the revs would sit higher or lower at 70mph it was directly related to fueling Confused

Oh Dear. *shakes head*
Dum, if the OP dont have that box, i might.

/sneakingin
Dt box ftw! The missus 206 hdi is crap for gearing, as soon as the power comes in it is time to change gear. Depends what you want really, iirc the dt box is better for day to day town driving and is much more fun and the hdi box is better for economy runs on the motorway
lol me being me is the hdi box for town and economy.

dt box is too many gear changes needed for daily driving IMO
My 205's 2800 at 60 due to the small wheels.

Tom, epic face to the palm moment there lol
(16-11-2012, 05:25 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: [ -> ]My 205's 2800 at 60 due to the small wheels.

Tom, epic face to the palm moment there lol

Yep, me = 'tard lol
(16-11-2012, 05:20 PM)Kwik Wrote: [ -> ]lol me being me is the hdi box for town and economy.

dt box is too many gear changes needed for daily driving IMO

I just find the power more accessible with the dt box, personal preference I suppose
exactly swings and roundabouts lol
For town driving would a shorter box be better as you can change earlier at say 1500rpm unlike a longer box where you'd have to change at higher revs to avoid it being too low at the next gear up?
As said swings and round abouts.
If you have the spread of power then the longer box makes for a more relaxing drive especially on the motorway but if your car has a very peaky power graph then you want the shorter box. also people with bugger all power might want the shorter box incase the car starts struggling on the motorway.
my 306 with 405 engine and box does 70mph at 3krpm fyi Smile
Anyone know what RPM a Gti6 dose at 70, and what speed it dose at 5k in 6th
5th at 7250 in a 6 is 133mph. Completely forgotten what it is in 6th. Got a feeling its 167mph though
I want to know what 5k would be
at 70 in 6th, your at about 3.5k i think.
i can confirm 5k in 6th is just approaching 140mph.....jesus i had to brake hard so i didnt hit the fence at the end of my garden!
(16-11-2012, 10:44 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]at 70 in 6th, your at about 3.5k i think.
i can confirm 5k in 6th is just approaching 140mph.....jesus i had to brake hard so i didnt hit the fence at the end of my garden!

quoted for the fail.

20mph-ish per 1000rpm on a gti6 box. 70mph = 3500rpm. 100mph = 5000rpm.

140mph = 7000rpm with a couple of hundred (more on a p1 Wink) rpm still to go. Not that my car ever hit 140mph ever anywhere especially not racing Mat (oecken) to the Ecosse rolling road up the Stirling motorway. Honest.