306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Project Babyliss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Yeah exactly my thoughts really. It'll be getting smoothed into my spare bootlid, and either sprayed up satin black for the time being (while I decide if I'm going to try and salvage the paint or just paint it) or I'll do it properly straight to Mariner.

I'll bond it on with Tiger seal, then go around the edges with fibre glass, then I'll use some of that flexible bumper filler... hopefully that'll be enough to stop it cracking up.
Could always carbon wrap the boot? I'm not too sure how that would look though in all honesty.
This is true... although never really been a fan of fake carbon...

Think I've pretty much decided I'm going for the smoothed into boot lid. Hopefully make a start tomorrow...

In other news, got to try and get the rear bumper and wheel off, remove the battery and clear the boot. If I can get it done then the boot/rear quarter will be getting welded up for a bargain price
HHHMMM why have you added sex toys to the gear stick and hand break?? lmao
So, stripped this down to get the boot/rear quarter welded up. So bumper off, exhaust off, wheel off, battery and spare wheel etc out, rear light and battery wiring all gone.

This is what I'm left with, this is why you fit the proper battery and vent it properly...

[Image: 2013-02-05110526.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-05110549.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-05125718.jpg]
Undecided

Not good!
Someone fitted the wrong battery to mine, but mine was no way near as bad as this. i just took it back to metal and painted.
Yeah, this has been like it a LONG time. Very frustrating when the rest of the car is so solid. It's getting cut out and welded, then I'm just going to get a universal eBay tray and clamp to bolt to the floor and make sure it's vented properly. Once all that's done, I'm going to Dynomat or similar the floor and carpet it. Then, finally, I can sort out fitting a small sub!

Stuck my spoiler to my spare boot lid, once it's dry I can start 'glassing and smoothing it.

[attachment=4885]
Sanded down my boot lid and spoiler ready to start smoothing it

[Image: 2013-02-06165550.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-06165609.jpg]

Typically there was no spreader with the fibreglass, so I found a hippo:

[Image: 2013-02-06171638.jpg]

His arse turned out to be the ideal shape for it, but his tail got in the way. A little surgery:

[Image: 2013-02-06173434.jpg]
(eagle eyed may notice he tried to commit suicide. Okay, I tried to cut his head of to make a straight edge. But then stopped being lazy and found a spreader)

First layer done:

[Image: 2013-02-06174349.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-06174413.jpg]

Will let it dry tonight and do some sanding tomorrow, hopefully my bumper filler will turn up.
Assuming your going to get it painted in blue? If so, might sound a bit stupid but COULD look good. Why not fade the blue into the carbon on the spoiler?
^^ I'd definitely give this a go first
I'd have agreed as well, hut now the ginger thinks its a good idea, I'm forced to disagree
Do you mean so the weave shows through, or fade it and leave the spoiler fully carbon? But yeah, plan is to spray the whole lot to match the car, hopefully the paint will be here tomorrow
I'd say mask up the spoiler and just paint it so there's a definitive line. I know you'll be smoothing it in but you can't hide awesomeness like that!
I meant blend the paint from solid blue, over the filler and what not and fade it out to the full carbon effect. not sure how it would look. In my head it looks ok!

(06-02-2013, 07:31 PM)Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say mask up the spoiler and just paint it so there's a definitive line. I know you'll be smoothing it in but you can't hide awesomeness like that!

Problem is where do you have the line? Theres no sharp lines on it to stop it at
Hmm I'm not sure what to do. I definitely didn't like the carbon on the blue... with nothing else to tie it in it looks random... I see what you mean and definitely still deciding. But I'm not sure there's much point smoothing it in to have it break up still! Plus, I've already sanded the spoiler quite a lot Angel

Plus it doesn't meet perfectly all the way around, so was going to make it up with fibreglass as well...

Hmm.

Yeah that's the problem with that, I'd have to invent one... so I think fading would be the only way to go
Well fade it in and if it looks shit, just spray over the whole thing. Nothing lost.
And if it CF and not plastic made to look like it, it doesnt matter if its been sanded. You can flat it back a bit and laquer it up and it will be fine.
Yeah true. No it's definitely real carbon... bloke on Nutz makes them. Yeah I realise that, it's more the parts that will have fibreglass/filler bridging the gap between spoiler and boot lid that are the issue tbh
How bad is the rust on these? Still half keeping an eye out if one comes up local but not interested if every one is going to have rust problems...

Are imports likely to have less rust, do they all get undersealed when imported?
Depends what you buy. Mk2's are worse for rot than mk1's. It's like pretty much any old Jap car, just make sure you give them a good going over. The major areas like sills and arches etc are common, but there are good ones out there. Mine is pretty rust free, bar the boot caused by the battery but you can hardly blame the car for someone being a penis. I think they vary too much to tell you, it's just a case of having a look and finding a good 'un. (which mine wasn't overly, but it's solid and what do you expect for £300)
It's all too tempting to buy one. Really must stop reading this thread.
Haha, nah just buy one.

Just bagged myself another billy bargain, will post up when they arrive.
Found one at a dealer local to me, might book a test drive to see if I can fit in the thing first! (6ft 4).
Should be okay, they're not the biggest things in the world (obviously) but most people are surprised when they actually get in.

Got some more done on my boot lid.

Third layer:

[Image: 2013-02-07124502.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07124507.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07124513-1.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07151836.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07151851.jpg]

Yeah, I've decided that spoiler will not be returning carbon...

Sprayed some black on just to see how it's looking (haven't gone above 120 grit yet, and still waiting for my bumper filler)

[Image: 2013-02-07152029.jpg]

Sanded down the spoiler to match the level of the boot:

[Image: 2013-02-07160847.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07161752.jpg]

Then got to work on the edges as they don't quite match:

[Image: 2013-02-07163207.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07163211.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07164048.jpg]

[Image: 2013-02-07164056.jpg]

Might be ready for paint at the weekend. Irrelevant if it doesn't arrive however...
That hippo was from a xmas cracker, ive got one too! Smile
It was indeed!
Hahaha! Not exactly what id use for filler work tho.
You not got an old bank card or something?
As said, it was only used as the shape was ideal to lay the first layer. Since then I've been using a spreader
Ahh missed that bit.
Looks a decent job tho mate ThumbsUp
Cheers dude Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16