306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Torque setting for con rod nuts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Need the torque setting for the connecting rod nuts. In the Haynes it gives a setting for 'big-end bearing cap nuts', which is 20Nm and then 70 degrees. But I thought big end bearings were the crankshaft bearings. There isn't any other settings which could be either of them though.

Also should I be using locktite or simular? Seems a bit strange that important nuts aren't lockers, especially when they are in oil..
Which con-rod nut settings are you after if its not for the crank end? have i missed something...?

I'll browse servicebox, might have some interesting specs on there
Yeah it is the crank end. I meant that I thought 'big end bearings' referred to the 5 crankshaft bearings.

Just found a setting for 'main bearing cap bolts'. I assume that's the crankshaft one..

Looks like 'big end bearing cap nuts' is referring to the conrods then.
Yeh i'm looking at the same thing on servicebox..

Can only get the spec for the bolts themselves, no torque settings, if any use :/
That's correct Ben. (big-end bearing cap nuts is what you want.) I didn't use locktite.

Someone will be along to correct me no doubt. haha. Itwasntme
Cheers for the replies guys, ill crack on in the next few days then Smile
There's a thread on here somewhere with the torque setting from Autodata, it's different to the Haynes manual.
Hmm so which do you trust?! Il have a look for the thread
I used Autodata setting, it was like 50NM or something, I will have a look.

EDIT: CLICKY
Yea, autodata says 50Nm, that's it.

I did mine at 20 Nm + 70 degrees when I had mine...

EDIT: Look below at "Possibly Related Threads..." Wink
Not sure which to use really. Is Autodata a reliable source?
Well, it's what a lot of garages use for their data/information.

Not sure if it's a reliable source though, but I'd imagine it is to be honest...

If it was me, I'd be doing 20Nm + 70 again. But meh, that's me. Tongue
Oki doke, ill just use which ever takes my fancy when it comes to tightening them up. Cheers for the replies Smile
I can't see there being too much difference in the final tightness between the two anyway. But I would/did choose autodata.
Always done mine as per haynes, 20 + 70 I think. Your thinking of main bearings, which is crank. But the ones you need is big end bearings
Big end caps are the conrod caps yeah, it's main bearing caps that bolt to the block Smile