306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: garrett gt2052ls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi peeps, ok so got given a gt2052ls today in need of a rebuild, its from a rover 1.8 k series mgzt i think. its a fair size turbo too Big Grin my question is do i have to plum in the coolant lines on a derv?? Anyone know how capable these turbos are. thanks
I havent plumbed in the coolant lines on my turbo and its fine ....
Good work on getting the Rover version, they're pretty rare as from what I can tell they keep breaking and all the rover people are after them for that reason. Rover breakers by me reckons they're made of chocolate, but not sure how true that can be. I was looking out for one for a while, but found it difficult to pick one up.

Ditch the water lines, oil cooling will be enough.

Capable? Ruan has been bigging these up for a while as an ideal XUD turbo...
sounds good then, apart from the failing thing lol This one failed on the hot side of the bearing, was cooked. loads of play and the wheels had just started rubbing the housing but no damage to the housing. There are complete cores all balanced on the bay for £195 (not cheap copies) may just do that, lot simpler. do you reckon they will last though, this one done feck all mileage and cooked, though it looks like oil starvation. was replaced under warranty when rover was still going, been on a shelf ever since....
Buy a rebuild kit, rebuild it yourself, piece of piss. Just mark your wheels/be very careful with what you do, dont rush or force things. You dont need the water hoses either.
(29-09-2012, 07:05 PM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]Buy a rebuild kit, rebuild it yourself, piece of piss. Just mark your wheels/be very careful with what you do, dont rush or force things. You dont need the water hoses either.

i would get a rebuild kit but after a strip down it seems the shaft is badly scored and the wheels have had slight rubbing, exhaust is badly scuffed. The compressor wheel has a slight burring to the edges too. think a new core is the only way, i would buy another but for the price of second hand ones, i could buy a core and have a new turbo..hmmm
Could have been the result of high EGTs possibly but as dave said get a rebuild kit and tbh most places near me only charge about 50 to balance them so be cheaper even if u built it yourself and got it balanced
(29-09-2012, 08:43 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: [ -> ]Could have been the result of high EGTs possibly but as dave said get a rebuild kit and tbh most places near me only charge about 50 to balance them so be cheaper even if u built it yourself and got it balanced

was prob down to head gasket fail on the rover k series its off, mayo in the bearings and chocked coolant galleries = cooked turbo, they probably all have the same fate!!! Think the shaft is beyond repair as you can scrape your nail across the scores lol. may get away with the compressor wheel but new shaft with turbine is £100 ish and £32 for a rebuild kit, plus balance. its £195 for new core built and balanced good value me thinks. just the question is the blower worth it...
It will work and probably work very well but isn't a 2056 slightly better suited? Just curious tbh
Trying to figure what turbo I want
(29-09-2012, 10:10 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: [ -> ]It will work and probably work very well but isn't a 2056 slightly better suited? Just curious tbh
Trying to figure what turbo I want

yeah think the 2056 would be better for top end as they are rated for 250 ish hp i think, but just a guess to be honest. had the turbo free so just trying to find out if its worth getting a core. only looking for around 160-170 hp with a fast spool and the ability to hold good boost to 4.5-5k...
Ahh i see common k series problem then lol ivr had a 1.8 k seroes in a rover metro before now and has one or two gsskets done maself wanted to turbo that back in the day but was happy with 170bhp in a metro lol

Worth the csrtridge then i suppose pal didnt realise was thst bad
[attachment=2748][attachment=2747]Think i will buy a core then and give it a whirl, couple of pics for comparison, compressor wheel is huge compared to k14 lol.
The 2052 isn't very big really.... Same compressor as I've got on my car - it'd do 190-200 at a real push, but you'll be overspeeding it for certain... 170hp is it's sweet spot....

The problem with the K series turbos will be their exhaust housing A/Rs... It'll be laggy for not a massive amount of air being pumped... Needs a Diesel-esque turbine housing, no petrol turbocharger is ever going to be instant response....
(30-09-2012, 09:03 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]The 2052 isn't very big really.... Same compressor as I've got on my car - it'd do 190-200 at a real push, but you'll be overspeeding it for certain... 170hp is it's sweet spot....

The problem with the K series turbos will be their exhaust housing A/Rs... It'll be laggy for not a massive amount of air being pumped... Needs a Diesel-esque turbine housing, no petrol turbocharger is ever going to be instant response....

so do i need to change the exhaust housing, how would you set it up. i have access to gt2052 housings of the disco but the bloody exhaust would point straight up lol, looking for 160-170 so should be ok then. what sort of rpm would it start building?? thanks
For a free turbo, I would just stick with that, and buy a rebuild kit, and clock the compressor wheel. It'll be a £50 GT20 series turbo then. Rather than a £200 turbo, which may not be that great. Its common to run your finger over the score lines on the shaft, and its not uncommon for the blades to have scuffed the houses either, they arnt scrap after this, just not ideal. Depends what you want out of an XUD though.
(30-09-2012, 10:02 PM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]For a free turbo, I would just stick with that, and buy a rebuild kit, and clock the compressor wheel. It'll be a £50 GT20 series turbo then. Rather than a £200 turbo, which may not be that great. Its common to run your finger over the score lines on the shaft, and its not uncommon for the blades to have scuffed the houses either, they arnt scrap after this, just not ideal. Depends what you want out of an XUD though.

well had another look at the shaft today and it cleaned up ok, there is scoring but as you say should not bother it to much,, so have decided to go for the rebuild kit, I did mark the wheels before i removed them, but think i need a new bearing housing (core without the guts) the piston ring grove has nearly worn away. cant find the same one listed, anyone know if i can use another gt series housing without the water cooling?? have tried the land rover td5 one but its totally different,