306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
See what I did there? Wink

So yeah, most of you know I've borrowed this from SRowell for a while - and heres a quick pic of it with like 3+ months of dirt lol -

[Image: Estate024_zps4c5d377b.jpg]

First thing was to get rid of those awful swallows with non-shiny wheel bolts, plastic caps and the dreaded 'pin type' lockers! So it got 'cloned and with my chrome bolts and better lockers -

Before -

[Image: Theestate003.jpg]

During -

[Image: Theestate004.jpg]

And after.....FFS! -

[Image: Theestate006.jpg]

Nevermind, with the huge boot I just chucked the 'clone in there and put the swallow back on to drive to Town.

[Image: Theestate007.jpg]

Pumped it up and fitted it at sainsburys lol, got some funny looks but meh!

While I was there I did this -

[Image: Theestate008.jpg]

Yup, brimmed the tank from the redlight -20 miles - still only 55 litres, no idea how people get over 60 in, they must live in the red light for days lol. But anyway, £80! I hope it lasts a while!

Whilst under the car, did notice some issues, firstly, I cut the boot on the intermediate bearing, bollocks, not sure if theres an easy way to replace it without removing the whole shaft or not, might just wait till MOT and get the garage to do it, I hate changing boots lol. Second, theres several bent metal parts around the front so its had a bump at some point, nothing structural as far as I'm aware but obviously not ideal. And also this - is that bodged or OEM?? Looks crap either way lol!

[Image: Theestate005.jpg]

Today I'm gonna get the code reader on there....so go on, place your bets on what the EML is on for! Big Grin

Cheers
Tom
I seriously think you ought to consider buying this Tom, think of the ease too.. You can now sell the Avensis & not be without a car, you cant get any more local than this, its got the right engine & Sam isnt going to want a lot for it!
I'm gonna sell the avensis while using this anyway, assuming it doesn't blow up/crash in the meantime lol. Which are both possibilties with the EML and the lack of braking force lol.

The Golf is also being moved to a flat area today so the major parts can come off, already got around £600 worth of provisional sales before even removing main parts lol.

So yeah, the HDi is temp insured till Monday (which convieniently passes Saturday.....dependant on how much I can trust it by then) after Monday I'll have to make a decision about selling or keeping the Avensis. ATM the avensis has a full years MOT, no EML and working brakes so its in its favour atm, but depends on the next few days. Smile
I'd agree with that to be honest, you could spend what you get back on the minicab doing this up a bit?
It's the car your after... It needs a little work.. What 306 doesn't. But at least by the time your done you know it will be a good one rather than one that will go in a month!
I quite like estates... If I was to get another hdi I think it would have to be one..
There is an estate exactly like that for sale for 650 near me. So tempted to get it and take the Rallye off the road and fix her up during winter.

Keep this one Tom, fix her up and jobs a good'un
I agree with the others mate, that 'state seems in pretty good Nick considering, id just ditch the avensis and stick with the estate. Makes sense, and you know it mate! Looks miles better on clones as well! lol
Just keep the estate and get rid of the Toyota, it fills all your criteria you're just being far too picky Wink
Right, codes found are -

PO335 - crank position sensor circuit malfunction
PO906 - gate select position circuit low
PO560 - system voltage malfunction

Ckp should be fine, it wouldn't start otherwise? Confused
Both others are low voltage readings right? Probably due to that loose battery terminal so as soon as the rain stops I'll change it.
Good to see things moving on. Ive said Tom can have this up until christmas. Just happy to see it being used and on the road really! Dont get too attached as Ill probably want it back D:
I got ecu back on checked fault codes re read them and got nothing. But car still not starting so I've finally gave up!

Breakdown cover is on the way as we speak!
(26-09-2012, 01:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get too attached...

Trust me, theres not much chance of that! Tongue
Well, loads of stuff done today!

First was the rear wiper as I was fed up not being able to see!

Halfords don't list one.....no really, I'm not just blind!

[Image: Estatestuff003.jpg]

So got a 12" at a guess, bit big but does the job and was only £2 on trade.

[Image: Estatestuff004.jpg]

Next job was the RCL fob - new battery for it and.......................it still doesn't work, tried the re-sync thing but it didnt work, sigh, damn pugs and their niggly faults!

[Image: Estatestuff005.jpg]

Next was the stereo, it was difficult to use being Kenwood and the radio completely went this morning, not a problem as I used the JVC from the Golf. So, before -

[Image: Estatestuff007.jpg]

While there, noticed how Pug got Stevie wonder to cut the hole for the recirc button -

[Image: Estatestuff008.jpg]

And then found the reason the radio didn't work! This is why I hate buying non standard cars, people always bodge and f*ck things up! Confused

[Image: Estatestuff009.jpg]

Tried to bodge it into my good stereo but I think the next bump I go over will lose it again, bloody previous owners!

[Image: Estatestuff013.jpg]

And the stock speakers are shit, but had been changed before seeing as the door cards were butchered, so I stuck some spare Infinitys in for now, much better!

[Image: Estatestuff015.jpg]

Next job on the list was to read the fault codes and remove the EML,

[Image: Estatestuff014.jpg]

Codes found were -

PO335 - crank position sensor circuit malfunction
PO906 - gate select position circuit low
PO560 - system voltage malfunction

But are still there despite clearing them twice!

Thought the 2nd 2 were to do with the lose negative terminal on the battery so replaced that, much tighter now and the dash doesnt dim when revving, but codes still present!

[Image: Estatestuff010.jpg]

Also noticed 3 of the 4 engine cover clips have disappeared in the ~70 miles Ive had the car, well theyre a great design then! Undecided

[Image: Estatestuff011.jpg]

Also noticed the chunk of aux belt missing........squeals like a bitch when cold too. Sad

[Image: Estatestuff012.jpg]

Oh and if you were wondering, the brakes still haven't got better either, new rear pads and discs needed I reckon. Sad

More pics to follow shortly, forum wont let me put too many in at once.

Cont'd -

Bish, bash.....yep you guessed it, Bosch Aerotwins. Yay, silent wipers that actually clean water from the screen! Big Grin

[Image: Estatestuff016.jpg]

But then couldn't leave the dirt any longer...I don't like dirt!

Before -

[Image: Estatestuff018.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff019.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff023.jpg]

Even found a sim card lol -

[Image: Estatestuff020.jpg]

So gave the inside a good hoover, then cleaned all the rank bits with a pack of cheap baby wipes lol, then interior polish and ofcourse a magic tree.

[Image: Estatestuff022.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff021.jpg]
I'd get that aux belt fixed before it makes a break for freedom! Also, brakes are still on 35% discount at ECP EPDP35 is the code required.
Then gave the inside a pressure wash, shampoo and dry.......no time for wax or anything though as it rained. Tried taking a few good pics but my phone won't focus well, makes diablo look pink.....and lets face it, its not the most photogenic 306 lol.

[Image: Estatestuff024.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff025.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff027.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff026.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff029.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff031.jpg]

[Image: Estatestuff030.jpg]

Thanks for looking. Smile
looks good Tom, get that aux. belt changed!

EDIT: And get it lowered!
I honestly hope you do buy this from Sam.
(26-09-2012, 07:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Then gave the inside a pressure wash, shampoo and dry.......no time for wax or anything though as it rained. Tried taking a few good pics but my phone won't focus well, makes diablo look pink.....and lets face it, its not the most photogenic 306 lol.

Really? You really are OCD, most people tend to just do that to the outside...

And I actually really like it, think it's a nice looking motor.
(26-09-2012, 08:04 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]looks good Tom, get that aux. belt changed!

EDIT: And get it lowered!

Lol, its a cheap stop gap workhorse that I've borrowed, won't be lowering it lol!

The six belts still got years of life left.... Confused lol

Are they hard to change on hdis with ac?

(26-09-2012, 08:06 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly hope you do buy this from Sam.

I'm not going to Jordan, too many faults and probs for me tbh, would take a lot of money to get it to a state where is be happy with it.

However, driving it has made me want a decent one, so when I get the money from the Golf that's where it'll go. Smile. Still not sure whether I want to keep the hdi till Xmas or not really, I know it'll fail mot and tbh it doesn't feel safe, might be a bit pointless selling the Avensis and using this instead if I end up paying out for parts instead of fuel, not sure atm tbh. Undecided

(26-09-2012, 08:06 PM)burnmw Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-09-2012, 07:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Then gave the inside a pressure wash, shampoo and dry.......no time for wax or anything though as it rained. Tried taking a few good pics but my phone won't focus well, makes diablo look pink.....and lets face it, its not the most photogenic 306 lol.

Really? You really are OCD, most people tend to just do that to the outside...

And I actually really like it, think it's a nice looking motor.

Haha, yeah I meant outside obviously!! Although with some of the ominous marks on the seats and boot carpet I did think about jet washing inside too haha. Tongue.
You've done a quick job on that fella, looks miles better already. See, you know you want to be back in a 306.. Wink

What the hell is that pile of wire wrapped in red tape, is it some sort of bodged aerial..?!
Yeah, that was the aeiral lead! Instead of getting a joiner block for it they decided to permanently ruin it! Thing is I listen to the radio all the time, so I need to refit a terminal to it somehow, might take the one out the golf.

You're right, I do like being back in a 306, just maybe not this one lol.
It's looking nice tom. You should of gone on about the faults left it looking a mess. Now SAMs going to up the price :p.
Lol....

Anyway, these ok??

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...5fd&000027

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...3a9&000036

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...d38&000108

Comes to just under £50 with the BIGDEAL31 discount. The brake one is apparently no longer active Martin.
Don't spend out too much money on a car which you won't own Tom!

Just get budget parts from a 'factors for as little as possible - as long as they do the job!
I've asked Sam if he'll pay the majority for the parts and he said he will. Afterall, it'll never pass MOT without them anyway.

And those were budget parts, with a 31% discount..... Big Grin
Hmm, why do previous owners have to modify things and not return them to standard! Confused

These lockwood dials are shit at night!

[attachment=2705]

Apart from the fact they move, either missing a screw or broken. Half of it isn't illuminated, there's bright spots randomly. The doors open warning is really useful, or it would be if it wasn't on constantly, and why the hell is the dip beam light so bright its burnt into my retina now....the dash dimmer doesn't affect that light either! Undecided

Also someones put a blue interior light in....WHY? For a start its a red car so blue looks crap, and for second is useless cos you can barely see with it!
I think it's all part of the fun! Making it smart again and remembering how much you have smartened it up makes me feel good anyway

Should get a nice map on it and keep it Wink
Well, I'm gonna have to be totally honest here - I'm really not getting on with it.

I've REALLY tried to get on with it, and trust it, but I just can't. Thought it was just cos its different and I dont do different well, but sticking my audio and 'clones on hasn't made a difference.

I'm constantly worried about it breaking down with the EML on, or the brakes failing as they're so shit, and the clutch I fitted, thought me fitting it would be a good idea but I just don't have the confidence in myself to have fited it properly so I'm worried about that breaking, or the aux belt snapping, or the CV joint with the split boot drying up and locking, and its well overdue a service, the oil is like treacle, I can imagine the fuel filter is full of shit too. It just doesnt feel 'safe' at all, I'm worried to drive it anywhere at all, I went to a DG meet last night, I felt safer when I took the bloody 106 there a few months back! And by safe I dont mean that I feel its gonna crash, I mean that I can't trust it to get me anywhere. And what the hell is the point of a car if you can't trust it to go anywhere?

Then of course theres all the little niggles which soon add up, those bloody clocks for a start, the radio doesnt work at all now as my bodged aerial has failed too, the fan direction doesnt seem to work, the massive boost leak, the TPS that moves with the broken airbox, the remote central locking doesnt work, and I know this sounds daft, I keep forgetting to lock it as I'm just so used to pressing the button on every other car, so then I keep worrying even when its parked that I've forgotten to lock it!

Honestly, I'm in a constant state of panic with this car and beggining to think theres a frying pan and fire situation going on here.

Now the temp insurance runs out on Monday - I dislike the car so much I'm thinking about taking it back to Sams before then or SORN'ing here until Sam comes to get it if his parents/Nan dont want it there. Seems pointless to spend what I save in fuel not driving the Avensis on stuff for an estate I can't trust, which won't pass MOT in November, and will be returned to the owner by Xmas anyway.

Wish I'd just sold the Golf as a whole (was offerered a grand for it in the end) and bought a better car BUT I'd already got about £700 in provisional sales, yet due to people f*cking me about with towing or car trailers now lost some of those sales. You guys might be happy enough in old cheap cars with 'charachter' or as I like to call it, broken stuff, but it isn't working for me. I did like the handling and the direct steering of the 306, the autowipers and the size of the estate boot....but I'm struggling to find anything else good atm. Why do I make the wrong decision every single time theres one to be made.
Give it a service. Try cleaning the brakes up as they've been sat. If in braking my car Sunday ill send you my new crank sensor. If there's anything else it need for eml let me know. As for the rest your just being picky. The aerial does it just need the adapter or the whole
Cable. If its the cable ill send you that as well. The car just needs some tlc tom. If your clutch is working it ain't going to let you down. There's not a lot that can go wrong when doing the itch from what I could tell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8