306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: What to look out for when buying a dturbo.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, as a few of you know ive got a little 1.4 306, and ive always wanted a dturb.
Ive checked insurances and when my renewul is due i can afford to insure a dturb (:
Im in the process of selling my whole sound system (which i mentioned about in the newbie section) so i can buy the derv with the money.
My renewul is feb and the sound system will be all gone very soon, were then i shall be looking around to purchase the dturb as soon as poss so it can all be tidied up, etc ready to be insured and straight on the road in feb.

Too the point, i know bits an that about cars and what to look for when buying a new car but is there anything which isnt obvious or is vitul to check on the derv when looking around it thinking whether to buy or not?
I know i have 5 months or so to fix anything that is wrong but its just nice and cost effective if most of the car is in tiptop condition when brought.
Thanks in advanced for any advice!
Mike
my only advice would be check electrics. engine and see if theres any history with it for the timing belt. also the rear passenger arch as they can rot quit bad
Cheers mate! Body work am not really concernd about as im a sprayer so that can be sorted nicely, its more engine/electrical which worries me more.
But thanks for the reply man!
check you can get your fingers behind the rear wheels make sure the beam isn't fcuked, check the coolant is circulating properly and isn't pressurising,, other than that crack on, they are honest engines, not much to go wrong and all fixable . Smile
Just assume that anything made from rubber is shagged... Then if it's not it'll be a bonus!

Wishbones, engine mounts, track rod ends, drop links and put your hands on each wheel at 10 past 7 and shake them for play. Just be apprehensive really, there isn't much to go wrong and most things are cheap, unless it's a head gasket or something.
Thanks lads!! much appreciate it!!
top engine mount pre-cup. you'll see the engine move and hear a rattle/tinkling.

also make sure engine is cold when looking at one if engine is warm means they got it started so you won't find out about duff glow plugs.
1: Check if the front speakers are working and no problem with sentral locking system.
2: Check if the car starts good and idles pretty good.
3: Check on oil leakage on engine.
4: Check if the gear system is pretty smooth.
5: Check if they have pooked badly with the pump.
6: Check more and more....Good luck Smile
Thanks for your replies!!! Much appreciated.
Ive just looked at a derv and messaged some guy about it and he says the suspension creeks a little on rough ground from front and back. Any ideas? Plus would it be a big problem or just a small fix if you know what maybe making the creaking?
Thanks in advanced!!
Mike
(29-09-2012, 09:26 PM)Mike Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your replies!!! Much appreciated.
Ive just looked at a derv and messaged some guy about it and he says the suspension creeks a little on rough ground from front and back. Any ideas? Plus would it be a big problem or just a small fix if you know what maybe making the creaking?
Thanks in advanced!!
Mike

Most likely worn out rubber on the shock absorbers(rear), it could also be worn out balljoints (front) with some slack on it.
It can be fixed if you have space and time and enough tools to use, but if the bolts are rustet it can be tricky to get them off.
I'd check it had a dturbo engine.....
Just make sure that the hamster has been fed and got its water bottle