306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Black DT VNT XUD Wagon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Everything done to this car has been done essentially in a farm workshop or on my driveway... I don't think it's ever been to a garage to have any work done, my budget is limited, but I have big ideas, whether they work or not is another matter!

I've spent the last 3 years doing what I can to it to change perceptions of 1970s Indirect Injection diesels... They have a reputation for being reliable, noisy and not much else...

[Image: 282tcx.jpg]
Yes I look like a douchebag, I'm fully aware of this ^^

[Image: zk5nau.jpg]

Basically the spec goes much as follows...

Engine - [COLOR="#FF0000"]Dyno'd @ 175.3SHP / 313Lb.Ft Torque[/COLOR]
1905cc XUD9TE D8B 8v Indirect Injection
Standard pistons & conrods
Garrett GT2052SV - Stolen from Volvo D5 - Arduino powered 3d Mapped VNT Controller, sometimes, when it works.
Bosch VE Injection pump - 11mm pump element stolen from a Smiley Transit van, Governor modified to rev to 5850rpm.
100% Standard Injector Nozzles
Mocal oil cooler
DevilsOwn Methanol Injection
OEM Valeo Standard Clutch
Standard Cylinder head + valvetrain
2.5" downpipe to 2.25" Rear section - pikey spec home made

Interior -
Sabelt Bucket seats + Sparco Harnesses
ISSPro 60PSI Boost gauge
ISSPro 60PSI Exhaust Manifold pressure gauge
Stack Pro EGT Gauge
OMP Corsica Suede Steering wheel
Leaky Door seals
Heaters jammed on full heat setting...

Exterior -
15" Steel Wheels - Honda Milano Red
Gaz GHA Coilovers - 60mm down ish?
3.5" Downswept exhaust tip
Bumper attached by Badger - hence one foglight Sad

But basically it's off the road currently awaiting a new engine, the old one is very tired, has put up with a lot of abuse from me... Ever since pretty much day one of that engine about a year and a half ago, I've had issues with the cylinder head lifting under boost (admittedly, I only run about 26psi flat out...) but it seems the high cylinder pressures and high torque doesn't do it any good, it proceedes to push combustion gasses into the coolant, resulting in the coolant going everywhere...[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOXPFN0m1Y"]Clicky to see what I mean [/url]

The clutch only lasted about 10,000 miles, which isn't bad for double stock torque and power...

I've already got a GT2256V from a M57TUD30, hopefully looking at a bigger compressor wheel for it for next time, but I'm heavilly considering going to something with Direct Injection - obviously that leaves me only with a HDi, which is a much better engine, but isn't without a significant amount of problems keeping it Commonrail - there's literally no uprated injector nozzles, I'm not 100% with mapping them - I could do a stage one, but the remapping community is one of hostility for the genuine people who just want to extract more performance from their own car... Which leaves me only with a few options - MTDi can be done, however there's next to NO information available on Bosch nozzles with regards to plane angles and spray angles - not to mention the angle of rotation in the head - get it wrong and it's a recipe for melting pistons... Or standalone Diesel management - Adaptronic.nl are now doing one of their ECUs with Drivers for Solenoid CR injection - but it's in the region of £1200 - not really my budget... So it's a case of waiting and seeing...

Saved for project info for when I can be arsed to have to copy and paste it...

But latest update: 12 months ticket! Whoop! Only needed a new hub as the balljoint hole was ovallised... Oh well!

28/05/12:

Well decided I might give this an update as to what's going on at the moment...

Basically as most of you probably know, the cylinder head keeps lifting under boost - at anything above about 23psi, it simply cannot cope and leaks a serious amount of combustion into the cooling system, which ensues in airlocking the head, boiling it over and your engine bay turning orange.

Since this engine has taken a lot of abuse, it was the test engine for the VNT setup, it's had allsorts thrown at it, it leaks like a sieve, the cylinder head is now screwed, I've had the turbo off 12 times on it, so henceforth all the thread holes for the manifolds are screwed!

I've been umming and ahhing over what to do, do I even continue with the XUD - as a good friend said to me "If you spent as much time and effort on a 2.0 Petrol as you do on your Diesel you'd be making 500hp by now..." Which is kinda true, but I really don't care, it'd have cost 5x the amount - I've decided to stick to the XUD9...

So...

New engine time... I've currently got a 102k mile DHY block sat about, it's all in fairly good condition, I've not really had the chance to strip it down and look at the condition, but it's going to have a few bits done to it and hopefully sort my engine out for good!

The (hopeful) spec:

- 1905cc XUD9TE DHY - Honed and Re-Bored
- 8v HDi Conrods + HDi Main Bearing Shells
- Re-Ring pistons and slight skim of pistons to reduce compression (sorta 0.1-0.3 range)
- Thinnest gasket I can get to reduce risk of blowing - Genuine Victor Reinz, naturally...
- (Possible - depends on cost, I'm getting wildy fluctuating quotes) Ceramic Coating on piston crowns, exhaust valves, exhaust ports and possibly pre-combustion chambers to keep the heat away from the head and in the exhaust gas.
- Balance the engine
- Lighten Flywheel
- Decent fecking clutch!!! Probably a CG Unsprung 4 Paddle
- Uprated Head Studs - 12.9 heat treated and Stud/Nut...
- Front mounted Intercooler - finally - with proper hose routing.
- Modified inlet manifold - proper plenum inlet, partly to not have a Xantia Lunchbox and partly to enable better hose routing.
- Re-install oil cooler with new radiator.
- 100% Not decided yet - completely cash dependent - Bigger turbo, maybe a GT2056V or a GT2256V - but that's only if time and funds allow, if funds really do allow, then I'd love a GT2260V.
- And another funds related maybe - bigger coolant system radiator - the stock ally one really doesn't take prolonged ragging.

I'm not really looking for more power as such - maybe it'll push up to 185hp, just a more consistent power, remove a lot of the unpredictability of the setup as it is at the moment, it's like a hormonal, menstrual woman at the moment - mood swings all over the place. It'd be nice to know when I need to overtake something, I can mash my foot into the shag pile and it'll go the same as it does every other time.

Go Team More Shitty Diesels!!!!
Oh finally a project thread, but ive never seen the point in saving posts at the start of the thread, as latest updates imo should always go at the end, espically as despite how many you save, ull always end up filling it and overflowing to the end anyways Smile

XUD VNT FTW
woop woop!
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAk-Syx-MWM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAk-Syx-MWM</a><!-- w -->

EDIT: I don't know why but i can't get it to embed Sad
Dan! Wrote:Saved 3
Ahaha dan! Lol

Btw! Get pasting ruan!
Just fyi, the figures are completely to cock there... That's @ 5% transmission loss...

It made 154hp at the wheels, with a 15% tranny loss, that's 175HP at the fly - 22psi, with a lifted head and coolant spewing everywhere, boiled over 3 times on the way home rofl. Hopefully get the head gasket done again ASAP and get some proper ARP bolts in there!

Go to Midnightclub's thread to see what I'm on about!
Get it done man! Tongue
mark_airey Wrote:About time, but then I can't really comment Big Grin

You're a fully paid up member of Team Orange Engine Bay, you REALLY cannot talk!

Though I definitely should have done it with no exhaust... Sounds crap in the video, lol.
Ignorance is bliss, if you don't open the bonnet then you can't see it and all is well lol should probably do something about it at some point TBH
Trust me it gets worse, mine boiled over 3 times on the way home, bleeding coolant systems in the pissing rain on the side of the M5 in the pitch black = not fun.
Ruan Wrote:Trust me it gets worse, mine boiled over 3 times on the way home, bleeding coolant systems in the pissing rain on the side of the M5 in the pitch black = not fun.

Shhhhhhhhhh.....................lol
Mine has popped the bottom rad hose off and emptied the entire system in about 100 yards, that wasn't fun, as you probably do though I carry water in the car but re-attaching the hose on the side of the road in the dark was interesting and probably about as enjoyable as your experience
Roundup can in the boot full of water FTW.
Ruan Wrote:ARP bolts in there!
Hurry up and sort a group buy lol
Well, they probably won't be ARPs, more than likely 12.9 grade bolts/studs... Should be more than enough, and a quarter of the price.
Ruan Wrote:Well, they probably won't be ARPs, more than likely 12.9 grade bolts/studs... Should be more than enough, and a quarter of the price.

This needs to be discussed during our next phone call when we aren't both supposed to be working lol
Would you not throw a picture or two up i love black dturbos lol
[Image: 24cgnm1.jpg]

[Image: fkshu8.jpg]

^Dirty as fook, mind.
Connor Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:ARP bolts in there!
Hurry up and sort a group buy lol

When you say "Gert Lush Tractor" in a video and post it on the forum, yeah, I will.
Ruan Wrote:
Connor Wrote:When you say "Gert Lush Tractor" in a video and post it on the forum, yeah, I will.
That include fitting me a ride vnt? If so then deal
Maybe.

If you give me a bum, too.
Deal!
Ruan Wrote:[Image: fkshu8.jpg]

^Dirty as fook, mind.

You have some chavtastic neighbours over the road

Looks good, nothing wrong with a bit of dirt. Like to see how it goes when you get the head problems sorted!
Lol, that's my friends house I'm parked outside of there - APPARENTLY the burd who drives that Rover is bufftingz... It's a PROPER shed though!

I would never live in such a horrible place! My new house is the one above rofl!
Ruan your car is definitely my favourite DTurbo.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a wash though! Tongue
Ruan Wrote:APPARENTLY the burd who drives that Rover is bufftingz... It's a PROPER shed though!

I love the gayphone Ruan as I can zoom in on it, I so want that rear bumper on MYA...that's where I've been going wrong lol
Mega update:

Ruan Wrote:Saved for project info for when I can be arsed to have to copy and paste it...

But latest update: 12 months ticket! Whoop! Only needed a new hub as the balljoint hole was ovallised... Oh well!

28/05/12:

Well decided I might give this an update as to what's going on at the moment...

Basically as most of you probably know, the cylinder head keeps lifting under boost - at anything above about 23psi, it simply cannot cope and leaks a serious amount of combustion into the cooling system, which ensues in airlocking the head, boiling it over and your engine bay turning orange.

Since this engine has taken a lot of abuse, it was the test engine for the VNT setup, it's had allsorts thrown at it, it leaks like a sieve, the cylinder head is now screwed, I've had the turbo off 12 times on it, so henceforth all the thread holes for the manifolds are screwed!

I've been umming and ahhing over what to do, do I even continue with the XUD - as a good friend said to me "If you spent as much time and effort on a 2.0 Petrol as you do on your Diesel you'd be making 500hp by now..." Which is kinda true, but I really don't care, it'd have cost 5x the amount - I've decided to stick to the XUD9...

So...

New engine time... I've currently got a 102k mile DHY block sat about, it's all in fairly good condition, I've not really had the chance to strip it down and look at the condition, but it's going to have a few bits done to it and hopefully sort my engine out for good!

The (hopeful) spec:

- 1905cc XUD9TE DHY - Honed and Re-Bored
- 8v HDi Conrods + HDi Main Bearing Shells
- Re-Ring pistons and slight skim of pistons to reduce compression (sorta 0.1-0.3 range)
- Thinnest gasket I can get to reduce risk of blowing - Genuine Victor Reinz, naturally...
- (Possible - depends on cost, I'm getting wildy fluctuating quotes) Ceramic Coating on piston crowns, exhaust valves, exhaust ports and possibly pre-combustion chambers to keep the heat away from the head and in the exhaust gas.
- Balance the engine
- Lighten Flywheel
- Decent fecking clutch!!! Probably a CG Unsprung 4 Paddle
- Uprated Head Studs - 12.9 heat treated and Stud/Nut...
- Front mounted Intercooler - finally - with proper hose routing.
- Modified inlet manifold - proper plenum inlet, partly to not have a Xantia Lunchbox and partly to enable better hose routing.
- Re-install oil cooler with new radiator.
- 100% Not decided yet - completely cash dependent - Bigger turbo, maybe a GT2056V or a GT2256V - but that's only if time and funds allow, if funds really do allow, then I'd love a GT2260V.
- And another funds related maybe - bigger coolant system radiator - the stock ally one really doesn't take prolonged ragging.

I'm not really looking for more power as such - maybe it'll push up to 185hp, just a more consistent power, remove a lot of the unpredictability of the setup as it is at the moment, it's like a hormonal, menstrual woman at the moment - mood swings all over the place. It'd be nice to know when I need to overtake something, I can mash my foot into the shag pile and it'll go the same as it does every other time.

Go Team More Shitty Diesels!!!!
This should be awesome, surely it'll make far more than 185bhp with that spec though? Always liked your DT, that ride you gave me at RS Tuning proper gave me ideas of where to go with mine...

And then I did my usual an binned my DT because I'm lazy lol
It could probably sniff 200hp with that, but that's likely to end in really high EGTs and EMPs etc... You'd be talking 28psi or so at the inlet, by that point you're looking at 60psi exhaust mani pressure, half of the gas is staying in the cylinder on the way out - that's why I'm considering a bigger turbo really... A GT22 would solve that, but I kinda like the way it is now, ask anyone who's been in it with the VNT, it's just instant power - that's what makes it quick "for what it is" - there really is no discernible lag on gearchange.

Oh and add to that list a rebuilt pump... My one currently leaks like a sieve!
Nice one Ruan, you going to be parting with your current pump or is that the one your rebuilding? Smile
Pages: 1 2 3