306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Rollerbearing turbos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I have a question, some of you may think its stupid but I'm quite clueless with what turbos will work

Would a rollerbearing turbo work well on a Dtub?
If not could you explain why please Smile still learning here
Would work fine as long as you got one thats a sensible size, its just a newer design and as a result would be a much better plan, only more expensive.................

Look at the Garrett GT series Wink
mark_airey Wrote:Would work fine as long as you got one thats a sensible size, its just a newer design and as a result would be a much better plan, only more expensive.................

If only my autodata told me what cars have what turbos.

Had to take an isuzu trooper to have a service at isuzu the otherday and it sounded the dogs nuts aswell has had amazing power delivery with its rollerbearing turbo
Ball bearing turbos tend not to last as long as journal bearing turbos... They're actually stronger and will put up with more abuse, but will actually break faster... They're much more finnicky about oil, you have to have oil restrictors, or you blow the seals out the bearings and in all honesty, don't make that much difference...

Put it this way, I've got a journal bearing turbo at the moment, probably a 200hp capable turbo, and it spools as fast as a GT15 and quicker than a T2...

Don't waste your money, just as good journal bearing turbos out there for a Diesel application.
Ruan Wrote:Ball bearing turbos tend not to last as long as journal bearing turbos... They're actually stronger and will put up with more abuse, but will actually break faster... They're much more finnicky about oil, you have to have oil restrictors, or you blow the seals out the bearings and in all honesty, don't make that much difference...

Put it this way, I've got a journal bearing turbo at the moment, probably a 200hp capable turbo, and it spools as fast as a GT15 and quicker than a T2...

Don't waste your money, just as good journal bearing turbos out there for a Diesel application.
Thanks for clearing that up Smile
mark_airey Wrote:Would work fine as long as you got one thats a sensible size, its just a newer design and as a result would be a much better plan, only more expensive.................

I thought the GT series used journal bearings. The GT15 certainly does.
bb turbos work great on petrols because when at cruise they dont really boost but in a diesel on the mway your making more than petrol boost, the journal is much stronger. Stick with journal....
Dum-Dum Wrote:

I thought the GT series used journal bearings. The GT15 certainly does.

GTxxxxR do use ball bearings... Anything without an R on the end doesn't...