306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: High idle & Low clutch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys,

Getting around to addressing some of the niggly snags on my recent purchase and would like to know;

Firstly how to reduce the idle. Engine is currently running at about 1025-1050 rpm. What should it be? And how do I set it (Lucas Pp)?

Secondly, to select a gear, my foot has to be almost touching the road (Fred Flintstone style). I'm aware that the clutch is heavy, as is my XRDT, however, is there a way of adjusting the pedal to alter the bite point?

Thanks and have a good weekend.
Id also be interested in finding out how to adjust the idle on a Lucas, but the other way, mine idles slightly too low for my liking (about 700-750rpm), so would like to turn it up a touch. Big Grin
Turn your fueling down to lower idle and up to higher idle? Thats works on the bosch not very clued up on the lucas but i imagine its the same..
something like that, id imagine there will be screws for it somewhere, but as i drive a petrol, i have no idea and will let one of the derv heads answer that bit...

as for the clutch, they are auto adjusting pieces of poo, might be worth getting a new cable, or getting under the car, clipped to subframe under the steering rack the adjuster bit of the clutch cable, cylindrical black plastic jobby with a rubber boot on one end. pull the boot off and spray the hell out of it with white lithium grease or some other plastic friendly lube and give the clutch pedal a good few hard stamps, that might help a bit. they tend to dry out as they are so close to the toasty exhaust
C'mon Fellas,

there must be a Lucas Pp guru out there that can help me with this snag.

Samass thanks for info regrding the clutch.
Thought I'd bring closure to half this thread. Sorted the high idle out using the manual shut off lever adjusting screw. Just ripped the 1 y.o. clutch cable out of my XRDT to fit so hopefully that'll cure the low clutch.

[Image: 20120711_1502011.jpg]
Mine was a Lucas setup and also idled at 1025-1050, I considered it normal. I reduced it a little once but then the lights were dimming when idling, so I put it back up. Seemed OK at a slightly high idle, never had a problem. It's rated at 900-950rpm in the haynes manual.
Does the idle speed reduce when its warm, infact HOT? My 405 will start at 900 and drop to 800 anfer about 20 miles. But that's on a bosch.

When was the fuel filter last changed and is there a blockage on the pickup in the tank? Often you'll find that a fuelling problem will make the revs rise.
Happened the other way around on my 306 but I think I had a bad cold start lever which always seemed to be loose. Never caused any problems though. Used to idle at 900 on a cold start and 1025 hot.