306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Super heavy & juddering clutch, reverse hard to engage.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The clutch on the ZX is worn.

You have to grind it and yank it into reverse and the car judders a bit when pulling off in first, is this likely to be the cable, clutch itself or?

Pretty much the only issue I have with it (as far as I can see) atm!
Clutch cable, bushes and pressure plate.

Change all of these, it'll be like new.
Also, I once changed a clutch on an XUD to cure juddering, turned out it was a knackered engine mount causing it...

*facepalm*
Ruan Wrote:Clutch cable, bushes and pressure plate.

Change all of these, it'll be like new.

Any guides anywhere? Will have a flick through my haynes later to hopefully get some idea. Smile
Could well be the self adjuster on the cable so change that first, if not then its new cluch time
Could be the gear linkage for the reverse and engine mount for the juddering.
Sounds to me like you've warn the pressure plate
silverzx Wrote:The clutch on the ZX is worn.

You have to grind it and yank it into reverse and the car judders a bit when pulling off in first, is this likely to be the cable, clutch itself or?

you answered the question in your question; the clutch is worn.
daddyfixit Wrote:
silverzx Wrote:The clutch on the ZX is worn.

you answered the question in your question; the clutch is worn.

Thanks for contributing nothing to my thread (gtfo lol).

What gearbox oil do these take or is it universal? Never done gbox oil / service before so sorry if it's obvious!
Quote:Thanks for contributing nothing to my thread (gtfo lol).

What gearbox oil do these take or is it universal? Never done gbox oil / service before so sorry if it's obvious!
Any ATF is fine
ATF? No no no.

Pug/Citroën boxes seem very sensitive to gearbox oil, always use genuine pug/cit stuff when you can
They don't like 75w/80 which is normal for most trannies, they only really like the 75w/90 stuff... And they are normally picky and prefer the Peugeot Total BV stuff, they do make less noise and feel so much better.

Don't use Red ATF or whatever, it'll f*ck the synchros... I know this!

My gearbox is destroyed after using engine oil in it after only about 6000 miles lol, sounds horrific, synchros graunch like hell..
Ruan Wrote:They don't like 75w/80 which is normal for most trannies, they only really like the 75w/90 stuff... And they are normally picky and prefer the Peugeot Total BV stuff, they do make less noise and feel so much better.

Don't use Red ATF or whatever, it'll f*ck the synchros... I know this!

My gearbox is destroyed after using engine oil in it after only about 6000 miles lol, sounds horrific, synchros graunch like hell..
Ooops.. I used red ATF when I changed my clutch :oops:
Dicky Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for contributing nothing to my thread (gtfo lol).

Any ATF is fine

older vauxhalls used to use atf...... psa like to use smelly, expensive stuff to make you realise how good a job your washing machine does when it kills the smell off your clothes when washed !!
Genuine Peugeot oil is not an option so I'm guessing the next best thing would be some 75w/90 of some variation. If Mills don't happen to stock this is 75W/85 ok?

Cheers guys!
Genuine pug oil is normally cheaper than the aftermarket stuff..so why wouldnt it be an option?

I just bought 2 liters last week....cost bugger all
^^What he said.
Ok in that case I'll get it from them, only reason I didn't want to is because I get super savings at Mills with my account.

75w/90 it is from Peugeot then.

On the subject, can anyone explain how to access or the best way to renew the gear box oil? Do I need to remove the battery for access? Cheers!
silverzx Wrote:Ok in that case I'll get it from them, only reason I didn't want to is because I get super savings at Mills with my account.

75w/90 it is from Peugeot then.

On the subject, can anyone explain how to access or the best way to renew the gear box oil? Do I need to remove the battery for access? Cheers!
Yeah, its under the battery tray
you can do it from the drain hole on the side

[Image: Peugeot-406-HDi2.0-90BHP-BE4-Gearbox-Gea...l-plug.png]
Fill it from the top tbh, so much easier, theres a little plastic plug, undo that with 17mm, and just poke the oil straight in there...
Yeah, I'll just take the battery box out, may aswell make it easy on myself.

The drain is nice and obvious underneath I'm guessing too?
yep, its usually the one covered in g/b oil lol
but if you have a leak free plug, its the big round one, about the size of a 50p with a square hole in it. 8mm if memory serves. same as the metal bar thing in door handles/knobs
Ended up with some Castrol 75w/90 like this: [Image: CAS-trans%20axle%2075w90.jpg]

Peugeot didn't have any in stock!