306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: FML - engine/cabin smoking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So manged to sort a dodgy injector out - turned out to be a loose union ( SO FAR )...

Cleaned the base of the injector seat with a load of GUNK so i could see if it would have any fresh fuel/leak...

Took it out for a bash, started fine, fuel gauge was stayin up (previously it would plummit), then really gave it beans.

To my dissapointment, 12psi (down from 18psi), a LOT of smoke out the back, and smoke filling the cabin Doh

pulled over in a car park, opened bonnet, smellly.... manually rev'd it from the pump, again, on harsh rev's i'm getting smoke from the back of the engine and from the wheel arches (guessing where it's escaping)

Spoke to Connor/Dan/Phil, multiple of opinions - manifold/f*cked turbo

I havnt had a chance to get under and have a look as it's pissing it down (no driveway) and working all weekend.

Could the smoke be anything to do with the GUNK i sprayed at all?

Any other areas to check out?
Aren't you running filters with a bit of silicone on the intake?
Carlos182 Wrote:Aren't you running filters with a bit of silicone on the intake?

no - de'filtered, just running the U bend off the turbo, if this is what you mean?
Also, removing the exhaust manifold, i've also got to remove the inlet?
Yes you do, not only does the inlet go "around" the exhaust fannimold, the top mount is right in the way
Connor Wrote:Yes you do, not only does the inlet go "around" the exhaust fannimold, the top mount is right in the way

Doh

searches internet for any guide/images..
I doubt running no filter has done the turbo any good...
No need for a guide mate, take the top mount off, inlet off then you can take the exhaust manifold off
Connor Wrote:No need for a guide mate, take the top mount off, inlet off then you can take the exhaust manifold off

easy.. as for new gasket?

which one am i getting... there's a variety on cheap bay - as in 2 seperate gaskt, or one whole gasket?

Then again, gasket sealent any use isntead?

And is it going to be possible to replace the gasket without taking the entire exhaust manifold/turbo out of the car completely.. can i leave the turbo still connected? does it have enough leverage?
I've been there and done it. Gimme a shout if you need a hand
f*ck it. new turbo time
Replacement? Because anything else and you'll lag. And you don't like lag
4WayDiablo Wrote:Replacement? Because anything else and you'll lag. And you don't like lag

anything else?

and no, not a laggy fan lol

Also, would the HDi GT15's bolt straight on? or would i need adapters with it?
Dunno haha I thought the xud's straight fit was the k14, k03, gt15 and t2
4WayDiablo Wrote:Dunno haha I thought the xud's straight fit was the k14, k03, gt15 and t2

Hm i don't know if they have different manifolds (hot side)...
Hdi turbo, the cold side points down not up.
Ricky Wrote:Hdi turbo, the cold side points down not up.

what on earth is the point in that :|
ginge191 Wrote:
Ricky Wrote:Hdi turbo, the cold side points down not up.

what on earth is the point in that :|

Just the way they are I suppose, but it won't fit..
Rediculous. Guess I'll need a ready built gt15 for an xud
My mates got a ko3 off a dt with no manifold he might sell, want me to ask?
Yeh Chris that would be great pal! As long
As its a bolt on, I'm up for it
Aslong as you've a ko3/gt15 mani on it atm its a bolt on job.
Chris Wrote:Aslong as you've a ko3/gt15 mani on it atm its a bolt on job.

Nope, as I'm running a k14, also, was told the gt15 points down and for the xud it's pointless
ginge191 Wrote:
Connor Wrote:No need for a guide mate, take the top mount off, inlet off then you can take the exhaust manifold off

easy.. as for new gasket?

which one am i getting... there's a variety on cheap bay - as in 2 seperate gaskt, or one whole gasket?

Anyone clear up on this? which gasket?
I've only ever seen the steel iirc all in one (inlet and exhaust) type
Ginge, I'm sure Dave said to check the unions in your other thread lol

The fact that boost has dropped and that your getting smoke now says to me that you have a boost leak meaning that there isn't enough air to burn the fuel your injecting..........unless the smoke is blue and then I would suspect the oil seals in the exhaust side of the turbo.

I would be checking all boost connections are tight (turbo to I/C, I/C to manifold and also that the actual manifold is tight!) and see if that helps for a start!

THE_Liam Wrote:I doubt running no filter has done the turbo any good...

It won't have done any harm to the turbo TBH, more likely to have scored the inside on the bores if anything and that takes a while Wink

ginge191 Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:easy.. as for new gasket?

Anyone clear up on this? which gasket?

The gasket should be a one piece jobby for inlet and exhaust and made from steel mate, I wouldn't bother with gasket sealant stuff TBH
Excellent info there hairy, cheers boss!

And yeh, i know, Dave said to check the unions lol but when seals ewre costing £1, there was no harm..

And mark, i'm not only getting smoke out the back of the car, but from under the engine bay aswell.
The increase rear smoke is obviously there, as boost has boost pressure has dramatically dropped.
The pump 'is' tuned to run equivalent to 18psi on full boost, and didn't smoke untill on full power, even, then it was a mere haze.
Lol, fair play on the seals, I was just taking the piss, The smoke in cabin its self could be something as simple as the steel wire downpipe gasket that goes on the turbo elbow, have a look around as wherever its coming from will be covered in soot unless its something leaking diesel/oil onto the engine that's burning off when it gets hot maybe?
mark_airey Wrote:Lol, fair play on the seals, I was just taking the piss, The smoke in cabin its self could be something as simple as the steel wire downpipe gasket that goes on the turbo elbow, have a look around as wherever its coming from will be covered in soot unless its something leaking diesel/oil onto the engine that's burning off when it gets hot maybe?

steel wire downpipe? this is new to me... i've never seen a steel wire? and why would it be smoking?

Maybe i wasn't clear; but the smoke from the engine bay is simultaneous with engine RPM, i thought initially it could be the GUNK i sprayed, burning up, but it only smokes when rev'ing the engine.

I also checked the bulk head, but couldnt feel/smell any soot; from which dirt was there at least.

I'm fairly confident on this one that it's a fannymold gasket, or a leaky turbo seal...

In which case, i'm on the look out for a new turbo... rather than attempting to diagnose what the hell is right/wrong with the motor before FCS :think:
Sorry if I'm half reading stuff, im on my phone!
Where the turbo elbow meets the exhaust there is a round gasket on the flange made from steel wire stuff, oil seals on the turbo wouldn't let any smoke into the cabin tho! I think the excess smoke is due to the drop in boost more than anything. What colour is the smoke?

Manifold gasket sounds the favourite I agree Smile
Pages: 1 2