306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: D turbo brakes converted hdi brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has any one done the conversation?
Is it better to put hdi discs and callipera on the front of my d turbo or gti calipers and discs?
Just preference...
Slightly better brakes which are cheaper
Even better brakes which are a bit more expensive and need minimum 15" wheels
GTI brakes are bigger that HDI Wink
Gti 6 it is then Smile
Cheers
I used Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi 282mm calipers & discs to upgrade my HDi. Made a huge difference to braking when above 50mph!

307 - Calipers and Pads are cheaper. Discs cost more.
GTI6 - Discs are cheaper, pads are more expensive. Has a slightly larger piston size so may be more force there.
I've done the conversion to 266mm HDi brakes and callipers, it's relatively simple but a quick tip make sure you can loosen off the brake bleed screws of your donor callipers before you buy- nothing more annoying than a snapping one later at home. I'd also get the master cylinder out of the same car. GTi-6 brakes seem to be the ones everyone wants but I've found HDi ones perfectly adequate for my needs they're also cheaper and more plentiful to source.
The master cylinder for the hdi is only Marginally smaller and much more common
(26-05-2016, 09:33 PM)toseland Wrote: [ -> ]The master cylinder for the hdi is only Marginally smaller and much more common

Didn't some hdis have the same master as the gti6?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Everything had the 23mm MC from mid X reg afaik, same time everything got 266mm brakes from 1.4 to XSi.
Worth remembering that there is a downside to brakes larger than you need - more weight, and more to the point, unsprung and (in the case of the disks) rotational weight which is particularly undesirable.
307/GTI6 discs do weigh a fair bit more, however if anything, I find it makes the front end feel a bit more solid. Steering wheel gets a bit heavier, about it really. The improvement in braking force is worth it though.