306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: supercharger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Possibly expecting to get laughed at/slated here but if you don't ask you don't find stuff out. My question is: would it be feasible to scrap the turbo on my d turbo engine and use a positive displacement supercharger instead? I know they have been used in compound setups but not by themselves? Surely if you could get close to 20psi with a good flow and intercooler then decent power levels and epic response could be achieved?
of course its possible. im not the person to ask though. probally be far more expensive than a turbo though. i did briefly look into it then gave up if im honest
It is possible.
Little pointless thats all.

20psi? Possible with a standard turbo.

More efficient 20psi... Easy upgrade to a more modern turbo using same oil feed/drain and a quick bit of work to make an adapter plate
you aint going to see 20 psi with a charger unless is a rotrex but lets be honest there just belt driven turbos Wink you wont see 20psi from a m45 but maybe a yank m90 or above but they are big old things! The more you rev a charger the less efficient it becomes.
(12-09-2015, 10:14 PM)Stef205 Wrote: [ -> ]you aint going to see 20 psi with a charger unless is a rotrex but lets be honest there just belt driven turbos Wink you wont see 20psi from a m45 but maybe a yank m90 or above but they are big old things! The more you rev a charger the less efficient it becomes.

This was my thought but was hoping you would comment... Not expert on s/c!
watch some Top fuel Drag racing maybe?
With low boost you see 7 psi and high 13 max
From a bit of research the m90s are capable of 20 psi, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle to get it. Cheers for info though guys
I run an M90 on my C20XE engine and believe me at 20psi it would need some serious cooling. I'm struggling with mine at 10psi and I have a big charge cooler. The other issue to consider is an Eaton M90 takes 45hp to drive it at 7000 rpm. They do make for a very drivable engine though and flat torque curve. If i were using one on an XUD it would be the Eaton M62.
(14-09-2015, 10:36 AM)PartyJas Wrote: [ -> ]I run an M90 on my C20XE engine and believe me at 20psi it would need some serious cooling. I'm struggling with mine at 10psi and I have a big charge cooler. The other issue to consider is an Eaton M90 takes 45hp to drive it at 7000 rpm. They do make for a very drivable engine though and flat torque curve. If i were using one on an XUD it would be the Eaton M62.

Sounds like you have a bad charger then i use a m90 at well above 10psi i see 8 deg air temps and this is on its stock pulley. M62 will be utterly useless as for one it has a clutched 100mm pulley! making around 4psi! If your coating has gone this will be a big part of your temp issue.
Is yours a Gen3 or Gen5 charger and is it a stock body or ported.?
Not all M62's had the clutched pulley. Mainly the ones found on Mercedes.
Gen 3 all stock.