306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Coolant system pressurising but not overheating?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks for the suggestions. Iv already removed the one way valve from the cap and it made little to no difference. Will report back after a long drive this weekend.

Ps I have always had old cars, currently have a 72 marina van 75, type 2, 2x87 sj's, 89 merc and the newest shamefully a 98 land rover discovery. Smile
Found the posts & thread I was talking about:

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...00690.html

Turned out that it might have been a blockage.

FWIW. If I leave mine overnight, it's got ample pressure built up. If started from cold, it's bubbling in the rad - side mount rad cap.
It never overheats. It gets warm on a hard run, but never hits 90C.
heater matrix is bypassed, but with smaller diameter hose as outlined in the westfield XUD project flow research.

I'm not ruling out a HG due to the bypass already having been done with full bore before my adjustment.
Car drives fine tho. Uses a little coolant.
Bit of a delayed reply. Bit fed up with this engine now, Iv fit a vauxhall expansion bottle and left the cap ever so slightly loose to relieve pressure and all has been well! Untill after a week it's lost nearly 2.5 litres of water and antifreeze! No signs of a leak or water being blown out of expansion bottle. Gunna try go over it with a fine tooth comb to see where it's leaking. My sj gives me no trouble what so ever and runs so well, it even averages 40mpg! I really like the xud engine but damn this is testing me!
It does sound like it's popped the head gasket mate.
Head gaskets go on these engines without mixing oil in the coolant and don't overheat until they really go, had it on two cars now Smile
So it'll pressurise, perhaps use some coolant but otherwise it'll look ok?

Still would love to know what the magical mystery fix was in the post I referenced.
(17-12-2014, 05:28 PM)nominous Wrote: [ -> ]So it'll pressurise, perhaps use some coolant but otherwise it'll look ok?

Still would love to know what the magical mystery fix was in the post I referenced.

exactly that mate..... Smile
fair enough. Worry about it when ARP's go in then Smile
(17-12-2014, 11:34 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]It does sound like it's popped the head gasket mate.

Iv only just done the head gasket and had the head skimmed and pressure tested.
But of a late reply but I suspected block was cracked, changed the bare engine and had no issues what so ever since!
Thanks for all the advice!
Pages: 1 2