306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Dum-Dum's Black Rallye
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Wow since owning mine I have done 4k miles, so not spent much more than you in fuel almost a year :-)
So the rallye has been on tour the last week, been up to my parents for a bit of R&R and it pretty much solidly rained all week. Managed to find a dryish afternoon to go for a 100 mile blast through the highlands which was fun Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I'll get fuel economy figures for the trip shortly but here is some pics, The abandoned building is a torpedo range!!!!

[attachment=20735]
[attachment=20736]
[attachment=20737]
[attachment=20738]
[attachment=20739]
[attachment=20740]
[attachment=20741]
[attachment=20742]
[attachment=20743]
[attachment=20744]
Looks some great scenery up there, and I imagine a few rather rewarding driving roads...

One day I will make the journey up t'north.

Car behave all ok?
Looks like some fun roads and great scenery there, whereabouts in the highlands were you?
Looks good mate

This your daily now? Missing diesel power/mg?
(23-12-2014, 11:36 AM)mr_fish Wrote: [ -> ]Looks some great scenery up there, and I imagine a few rather rewarding driving roads...

One day I will make the journey up t'north.

Car behave all ok?
Oh yes, in places you can see the next 6 corners ahead so pick your line and get in some overtakes that would be suicidal if you didn't have the visibility. In some places the road is dynamited out of the rock so you are driving between 2 cliffs and the noise is immense.

I did a route that went from Arrochar up the A83 to Inveraray onto the A819 then up to Dalmally and onto the A85 then along to Tyndrum and onto the A82 to head back along the side of Loch Lomond to meet the A83 at Tarbet.

The car seems to of used a fair bit of oil on the trip and it doesn't appear to be a leak so thats a worry but I'll get to the bottom of it. Also it appears that the ABS doesn't work as I managed a good 20m lock up before deciding that I'd try cadence braking.

Maybe we need to have the spring camping meet up there this year.

(23-12-2014, 12:27 PM)mattsrallye Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like some fun roads and great scenery there, whereabouts in the highlands were you?
I was up at my parents in Arrochar, it's more technical highlands than proper highlands but it is beautiful up there.

(23-12-2014, 02:30 PM)7057sam Wrote: [ -> ]Looks good mate

This your daily now? Missing diesel power/mg?
Yeah it is my daily for the moment till the spring when I see about getting my bike licence done finally and/or getting a 106 nad. I do miss the diesel MPG Last time I did the trip to my parents I was in the 2.1 estate and the just over 1000 miles cost me £65 total and I averaged mid to high 40s mpg.

In the rallye I got up there on a tank (just) but was only averaging 62mph the whole way up, this still only got me 37mpg (book is 44.1mpg) but with my driving up there I had to fill up as soon as I got back into England with 43L at Penrith and I need to fill up again now I'm back and it'll probably be another 45Lish here. Total is going to be about £180 in petrol.
When you say loosing oil, how much we talking here over how many miles?
(23-12-2014, 04:54 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]When you say loosing oil, how much we talking here over how many miles?

Well I last checked it properly when I did the oil change which is about 1500 miles ago and I've lost a little over half a liter. It doesn't appear to be leaking out, its a genuine peugeot filter and mobil 10w40 semi synthetic, she doesn't appear to be smoking blue or smoking unduly in any colour for that matter and the dirt on the back doesn't feel oily (like it does with a coaly diesel).
May sound really stupid but did you check the level after you ran it up the first time after the oil change? Sounds really silly but I've always found you get a noticeable drop after the first run after a change. I can only imagine its where some has been pumped up top and is sitting in certain places.
Also, isn't this on like 170k? if so, id call that pretty good going for a engine that probably hasn't had a rebuild!
Yeah after the oil change I took her for a drive till the oil was above 90 and then topped her up to the maximum so I cant imagine she absorbed any more.

Also 170k!!!! Don't insult my baby like that, she is barely at half that. 80 something k
looking awesome chris, that said i don't think i could live with another black car, too much dirt and salt for that up here..lol

how does the sump look? any oily crap down the back of the engine or anything?
cracking roads round there....I'm heading that way next summer for a last roadtrip for the GTd
(23-12-2014, 08:47 PM)John1.4 Wrote: [ -> ]looking awesome chris, that said i don't think i could live with another black car, too much dirt and salt for that up here..lol

how does the sump look? any oily crap down the back of the engine or anything?
Not had a chance but with it having lost half a liter I'd of expected it to be appearing on the driveway.

(23-12-2014, 08:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]cracking roads round there....I'm heading that way next summer for a last road trip for the GTd
Oh yes, planning my next trip back for a time when I have more money for fuel as I could quite happily burn a couple of tanks up there just hooning. TBH my mum was dropping hints that there is a couple of houses in their village that I could afford and it did kinda tempt me. Depending on what your planning for a road trip I might be up for that and that could mean a free bed at my mums for a few nights.
I be with the mrs...
be a romantic trip too as we honeymooned there 6.5yrs ago.

Know any good/decent priced lodges?! Your folks wana earn some dollar!? lol
(23-12-2014, 09:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]I be with the mrs...
be a romantic trip too as we honeymooned there 6.5yrs ago.

Know any good/decent priced lodges?! Your folks wanna earn some dollar!? lol

My folks might, they have an entirely separate annex with 2 rooms and a bathroom but no kitchen facilities.
The bed and breakfast next door to my parents I'd recommend, the people who run it are lovely.
As for eating Ben Authurs Bothy is kinda hit and miss with food but good sized portions and has a MONSTER window overlooking the loch with the bar actually being at 1st floor height giving the most amazing views capturing several of the hills including the cobbler and a waterfall.
(23-12-2014, 06:34 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]May sound really stupid but did you check the level after you ran it up the first time after the oil change? Sounds really silly but I've always found you get a noticeable drop after the first run after a change. I can only imagine its where some has been pumped up top and is sitting in certain places.
Also, isn't this on like 170k? if so, id call that pretty good going for a engine that probably hasn't had a rebuild!

That's Matt's one.
(23-12-2014, 08:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]cracking roads round there....I'm heading that way next summer for a last roadtrip for the GTd

Last road trip :o thats a shame, I thought you'd made a car worth keeping for a while
Loving this my black Rallye friend! I love Scotland as well. Definitely the nicest part of our island. Loving the scenic shorts as well mate. Makes me wanna crack the Rallye out and just go for a drive...
dum dum, that takes me back to when you had that 200 bhp black HDI
So, erm, this is kinda awks.
I haven't actually updated this thread since before Christmas and sadly not much has been happening.
The 1 year anniversary of me owning her passed uneventfully
She had a new tyre on the nearside front earlier in spring and needs the nearside rear doing prior to going anywhere as it's sub 2mm in places.
She's also had a new battery under warranty (Yassuza Silver lasted under a year) and a Richbrook Discarnect to try and protect the battery.
She's currently off the road and has been for about a month but will be taxed for the shows.

So here she is late January looking absolutely filthy.
[attachment=22858]

In February while doing a U turn I brushed the front bumper off a kerb causing this damage .F*ck you GTi6 steering lock!
[attachment=22859]

I also replaced some more of the decals that were the wrong sizes or missing.
[attachment=22860]

And she's now on a little over 91k
[attachment=22861]

Anyway today I've cracked on with a bit of work in preparation for her 16th birthday on Thursday. I've had the blow torch on the exhaust mounts and bent them so that the tailpipe sits nice and high and nearly central in the cut out.
[attachment=22862]

I finished removing the dodgy stud conversion and the taper seated nuts that was using and have found that both sides have one bolt hole where a bolt wont tighten so that's gonna require 2 new hubs Sad
[attachment=22863]

Got under the car to try and finally fit my rear MLR braided hoses (I did the fronts months and months ago). I had given them a blast of WD40 last night and this morning but I have managed to f*ck most of the brake lines. Below is the worst one, one of the short uppers twisted so I'm just gonna replace it as it's £2 and the other post hose one went back together but appears to be hand made (badly) and is now leaking at the join. Probably explains why the car wasn't braking particularly well on that corner.
[attachment=22864]

Heres the part numbers from pug for new brake hoses, not too bad a price really.
[attachment=22865]

Doesn't she look pretty though. Providing the weather stays nice I'm gonna go back out and wash both cars, probably try and throw a couple of layers of wax on the rallye.
[attachment=22866]
ive got a couple of spare hubs lying about man, can bring one to fcs if wanted. no idea on the condition of wheel bearings though so would advise replacement
(28-04-2015, 02:05 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a couple of spare hubs lying about man, can bring one to fcs if wanted. no idea on the condition of wheel bearings though so would advise replacement

I want them done before she goes on track at FCS ideally and there's 2 types of rear disc ABS hub so need the correct ones. Brand new can be had for £40 a side so I think I'm just gonna go for that when I get a chance.
Nice one on the brake lines chris i have been meaning to order some in preparation for my beam change as i always f*ck the old ones up
Ah good to see some progress mate! Bring on the cleaning :-)
(28-04-2015, 10:05 PM)Orta Wrote: [ -> ]Ah good to see some progress mate! Bring on the cleaning :-)

Yeah over 4 months since I'd updated this. I got the hose out, watered the garden had a beer and forgot about cleaning the car lol so she's still covers in dust and pollen.
Are the brake lines actually formed from Peugeot? Sure I read on here they're not what you expect! Confused
How much??? Honestly dude, i've got a flaring tool and fittings, we'll do them here when you come down. Have got some rear hub assemblies kicking about the place too.
Flaring tool is fine, I have one too and pipe and nipples but it's such a bloody faf and I cant drive to you with no rear brakes and anyway they are cheaper from pug than fueling the rallye to yours.
Haha fair point, i'm just desperately trying to find excuses to see you sooner. Inlove
looks great :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10