306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Vnt down the back of the engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone managed to fit a vnt turbo down the back of the engine instead of a gearbox mount?

I think it could be tight for space for the actuator but I may give it a try.

Thinking at least a 2260v
Plenty of gt17 and gt20 vnts been done. You wont get a GT2260vnt down there though.

Have you considered GTC18 or GTB2056??

Smaller than the GT2260vnt but much more efficient
It'll be very tight.

Depends on turbo though, you can fit one down there, but it'll take a lot of playing with to get it in the right location. I did it with my 2052V and Dave did it with a 2260V, but he seriously modified the stock manifold to the point I don't think you could call it a stock manifold!
Ok thanks. I will have a look out for daves.

Basically I have achieved 206bhp with an old waste gate turbo. I was hoping to make just a bit more power and wanted to get more power over the rev range.

I am deciding between a gt2560r which I already have but Also considering vnt now.

Would the gtb vnts be much benefit over the gt2560r?

Cheers

I think if I could get my hands on a gtb2260 I would try to make it fit down there. But I won't be cutting any of the car awaylol
Imo you could fairly easily get any VNT down there 60mm compressor adn below, theres loads of room, you just have to put the turbo / actuator in the right position...Its just a bit of a farce mincing around down there...
(08-09-2014, 12:11 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Imo you could fairly easily get any VNT down there 60mm compressor adn below, theres loads of room, you just have to put the turbo / actuator in the right position...Its just a bit of a farce mincing around down there...

I'm going to give it a try. Is going vnt worth the hassle over a wg turbo?
Well, put it this way...

A GT2560R won't be on song until past 3200rpm at least.

A GT2260V will be on boost by 2600RPM - but you'll be limited by surge.

A GTB2260VK with the correct headwork will give you 28lbs of boost by ~2100rpm - again you'll be limited by surge, but the compressors are MUCH more surge resistant.

All of which will give you power to >5200RPM if the pump can keep up. Again, with correct headwork, a GTB2260VK is a 300hp turbo if you can deliver the fuel to it at the right time.
do you own the cherry red 306 on youtube by any chance?
Its tight fitting a big turbo down there but there is space, the problem is fabbing stuff down the back of the bay is such a farce. I'd go for gearbox mounting for the sake of ease.

I would definitely go for a big VNT turbo. You get the top end flow exactly the same as the WG turbos you'll be looking at but you also get the low end flow of a much smaller turbo which makes the car far far far more driveable than the WG turbo and IMO for a car thats used daily 10bhp mid range is worth 20bhp top end.
(08-09-2014, 02:19 PM)padge Wrote: [ -> ]do you own the cherry red 306 on youtube by any chance?

Yes lol

(08-09-2014, 04:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Its tight fitting a big turbo down there but there is space, the problem is fabbing stuff down the back of the bay is such a farce. I'd go for gearbox mounting for the sake of ease.

I would definitely go for a big VNT turbo. You get the top end flow exactly the same as the WG turbos you'll be looking at but you also get the low end flow of a much smaller turbo which makes the car far far far more driveable than the WG turbo and IMO for a car thats used daily 10bhp mid range is worth 20bhp top end.

Cheers. I just not keen on moving the battery.
(08-09-2014, 01:46 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Well, put it this way...

A GT2560R won't be on song until past 3200rpm at least.

A GT2260V will be on boost by 2600RPM - but you'll be limited by surge.

A GTB2260VK with the correct headwork will give you 28lbs of boost by ~2100rpm - again you'll be limited by surge, but the compressors are MUCH more surge resistant.

All of which will give you power to >5200RPM if the pump can keep up. Again, with correct headwork, a GTB2260VK is a 300hp turbo if you can deliver the fuel to it at the right time.

That's the info I was after. Cheers
was the video just td04 @ 40psi?
(08-09-2014, 07:50 PM)padge Wrote: [ -> ]was the video just td04 @ 40psi?

It was an old merc kkk of a e300td
[Image: IMAG1870_zpsaa0f205c.jpg]

This was a 2260V I was running down the back with no modifications to the chassis at all, apart from the gear linkages which were a simple cut/reweld. This was compound with an oldschool lorry turbo over the gearbox.

[Image: IMAG0068-1_zpsafab1272.jpg]

This was quite comical as some people couldn't figure out how I could get the big blower to spool so soon Inlove stealth VNT down the back Wink
Cheers dave. What power did that thing make
(09-09-2014, 02:03 AM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ][Image: IMAG1870_zpsaa0f205c.jpg]

This was a 2260V I was running down the back with no modifications to the chassis at all, apart from the gear linkages which were a simple cut/reweld. This was compound with an oldschool lorry turbo over the gearbox.

[Image: IMAG0068-1_zpsafab1272.jpg]

This was quite comical as some people couldn't figure out how I could get the big blower to spool so soon Inlove stealth VNT down the back Wink

Damn Dave, I need to see this thing going on the road again - compound ftmfw
If moving the battery was the only reason for not doing a gearbox mount turbo then id move the battery. If you want to keep the engine looking stock then go rear mounted.
I think id rather have it gearbox mounted cos its such a ballache changing turbos down the back of the engine.