306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Tuned XUD and Veg - Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the recent price changes for veg oil, it's made me consider using it again. However, the reason I don't is that I see it as pointless having an engine tuned to give more power then putting in fuel that will make it slower. Wondering what other people opinions are on this?

It might be due to the fact I only put in £20 a week at the pump and that does me, if I was doing massive mileage it might be different.
I find veg oil in mine to be better on performance than diesel!
Straight diesel just feels really flat
If your doing such little miles buying veg and the initial few fuel filter change costs it wont be worth your while and wouldn't see much saving for awhile esp after the inconvenience of buying and funneling into the car.
I don't see it as an inconvenience... I see it as an opportunity to look real smug at the neighbours Big Grin
I think if your only useing £20 a week in derv there's no point cos your savings are only gonna be small over the month. I do 300/500 mile a week I worked out that I save £30 every tank full of oil I use in a month that's about £150 saving think it's worth it if your doing the miles.

Plus I found when I had d turbo with veg oil and td04 it had flat spots all over the rev range, and was down on power a fair bit, on derv felt really fast!
From personal experience DERV is much better for higher RPM's.

Other then that rapeseed is just as good although a bit stinky and lumpy in the cold!
I probably wouldn't bother messing around going to the shops, buying it, humphing it home, filling up, then disposing of greasy containers unless there was a significant saving in it for me. The energy density of veg is around 15% less than dino and it also has a lower cetane value, so engines are likely to have lower performance and poorer economy. Personally I find diesel does perform a little better in my XUD's and you don't have to deal with filter issues or air ingress at higher rpm's. So yeah probably not worth the effort unless you start doing more miles.
i save £30 a tank, rapeseed is slightly worse than dino, don't believe anyone who says it's better lol ^^^^^^ . . . .i see better mpg on veg though . . Smile
My cars definately faster on diesel but when i get my veg for free its a no brainer for me.
on Average Diesel gives 10% more power than Veg.

Abit of a tune makes Veg abit better to live with, but ultimately Diesel will always be better for performance.
Ideally you need to adjust the pump timing on veg, then you will have much less of a difference.
whoops . .
Well, 90% of my driving is relaxed below 2000rpm cruising at 30 in 4th sort of thing so I am not going to need the performance of diesel most of the time, hence I default to veg unless I am going to be doing some tuning soon.