306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 306 tuning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking to do a few things to my 306 to make her a bit faster,

Few QUESTIONS,

What pump is better Bosh or lucas ?
Transit gov mod ?? Is it worth it ?
And what do you guys think on advancing timing ?

Any other ideas feel free to post,
Bosch, gov mod yes gives more fuel higher up the revs, you mean static advance like pushing the pump forward? Yeah a little bit but not loads. Your welcome.
So if i do the gov mod illl need a transit pump ? Would advancing the timing on a 306 damage it ?

Ive been told a good screwed lucas is just as fast, Everybody tells me somethign different.
What psi is safe to run on a lucas and standard turbo ?
Nothing is safe, you could blow your engine up, probably wont but it MIGHT happen, same with your turbo. Must run between 18-24psi for a stage one. No you dont need a transit pump go in the guides section theres a gov mod guide there. It wont damage it, will probably make it easier to start aswell. Just if you go to far it will damage stuff.
At stage one the Lucas in my experience is probably about as fast as the Bosch but the car feels compromised/ unresponsive at lower boost and can coal really easily if you don't get the throttle position just right. The further the compensator is turned in the more erratic the boost seemed to be. With the Bosch fitted the car probably isn't much faster but is far smoother and more modern feeling to drive. Boost is progressive and fuelling can be adjusted with much more accuracy. It runs pretty cleanly at all revs and if anyone borrows it you don't have to explain how to drive it!

Still worth playing around with the Lucas first though as it's free power and doesn't take long.
Yea well my 306 has a lucas pump, Was planning on doing a Fmic but don't se the point now, Not really worth the hassle. What about Straight D Injectors ?
Get a bosch, gov mod it (no transit pump required, just a few washers).
Get a TD04L.
De-restrict your exhaust.

Be happy with 170 bhp.
straight D injectors are lower break pressure afaik . . .
Wont the clutch and possibly the rods become an issue at 170bhp? The more I read the more varied answers seem to be.
(08-11-2013, 11:54 AM)simonh Wrote: [ -> ]Wont the clutch and possibly the rods become an issue at 170bhp? The more I read the more varied answers seem to be.

Obviously they'll be under more stress then a "standard" engine but I've *touch wood* never had a clutch or rod problem in my four years of XUD ownership.
Nice! Maybe I neeed to add a TD04 to the shopping list. Seems to be completely varying opinions though on how laggy they are and how high the engines need to be revved to make them work properly though. I've only ever driven my 306 so have no real life experience of all the different turbos. Definitely don't want to put up a "what turbo" post as I've seen what happens! :-)
The way I see it:

Cheap price, high revving, laggy, easy to fit, reliable = T25, TD04L.
Moderate price, good response, traditional diesel character (not so high revving), moderate fitment = GT-Series, GT17, GT2052, GT2056 etc.
Expensive price, epic response, insane torque, epic spool & moderate top end, absolute ball ache to fit = GT-V series, GT2052v, GT2056v etc.
There should be a topic in the guides with stuff like this! How to: choose turbo upgrade, pros and cons? Would save the same questions being asked all the time.

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread!