306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Preparing for winter!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, cold weather is closing in and I could do with some diesely advice from you all Big Grin

Is there any way I can improve the way my diesel starts? Anything I can add to make the fuel more volatile?

Any recommendations for car batteries? My Starter motor seems a bit slow.

I'm running 100% white diesel now, all the old engine oil has been sooked through months ago Rofl

Thanks in advance.

p.s I've got new NGK glow plugs fitted.

Yes I know I've got a TUD and not a XUD, before anyone mentions.
shouldnt have any problems with brand new glowies tbf shouldnt be turning over to much before starting if the glowies are good
Petrol will make your diesel more volatile, its what the veg boys use in winter to thin their fuel out but I wouldn't recommend adding it to straight diesel. There is also a whole host of flammable liquids that you can add but it isn't legal to do.

As for car batteries Halfords ones are apparently re-badged Bosch ones, and are cheap if you can borrow a trade card.

If you want to improve your starting redo the main live cables between the battery, the starter and the alternator and the earths between the battery engine and chassis with nice thick cables.
is it really worth it though how long is the engine turning over though with good glow plugs

mine starts within a second of turning over when the glowplugs are good... no matter how cold
on top of whats been said already;

I change fuel filters before the white stuff starts falling !!!
change antifreeze every couple of years
check all 5 tyres are good/pressures correct
check front pads
(27-09-2013, 05:17 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: [ -> ]on top of whats been said already;

I change fuel filters before the white stuff starts falling !!!
change antifreeze every couple of years
check all 5 tyres are good/pressures correct
check front pads

Thanks Big Grin

I meant just my engine though Tongue I'm on top of the rest Smile got my winter tyres on already. I do need to change my brakes which are getting done tomorrow though!

My glow plugs are definitely working! I can assure you, my only doubts are the wiring, battery or the fuel quality. I'd like to try adding something to the diesel first think, that seems like the cheapest option. We all know that owning a diesel is about being cheap Rofl
just buy a decent battery nothing worse than having a shit battery in the cold weather (believe me ive been there)
(27-09-2013, 05:25 PM)adamm306 Wrote: [ -> ]just buy a decent battery nothing worse than having a shit battery in the cold weather (believe me ive been there)

I completely flattened my battery in 2010, it was -25 outside. Nothing like a 2 mile walk at 6am to get a fresh battery from my dads house lol

My battery seems okay though, it is old mind you. it still shows 12.8v when it's settled and the specific gravity is still good. Maybe it's dishonest with me and it's going bad. I'll shove it in my dads Jeep. ThumbsUp
Move to a warmer place.
(27-09-2013, 05:49 PM)samass Wrote: [ -> ]Move to a warmer place.

Unfortunately, funds restrict me. Sad

I couldn't go to England. Your taxes and land laws are funny.
(27-09-2013, 05:14 PM)adamm306 Wrote: [ -> ]is it really worth it though how long is the engine turning over though with good glow plugs

Yeah massively worth it, you wont even notice it turning over, it just starts with decent wiring.
(27-09-2013, 07:18 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-09-2013, 05:14 PM)adamm306 Wrote: [ -> ]is it really worth it though how long is the engine turning over though with good glow plugs

Yeah massively worth it, you wont even notice it turning over, it just starts with decent wiring.

My engine still turns over for ages with glow plugs lol

I'll be having a look at my wiring, certainly. it was all nice, oem and clean when I put the engine in June 2012 though. it does turn over slowly, it kind always has. could a worn starter motor cause that maybe?
Okay, so I bought a new battery today and cleaned my wiring. I didn't replace it because it wasn't corroded.

Engine turns over much faster now! Smile Typical, it's a warm day today so I'll let everyone know how I get on when it turns cold again.

Anyone know anything about cetane booster?
IMHO don't bother with any sort of additive other than veg.

As long as it starts reliably, who cares how long it takes?
(28-09-2013, 06:57 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]IMHO don't bother with any sort of additive other than veg.

As long as it starts reliably, who cares how long it takes?

I'm after something I can use to reduce knock. Even the old DTurbo I had wasn't as loud as this was when cold. Sounds like a broken conrod lol

The timing is fixed, because the "reliable" Bosch pump isn't so.