306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Problems starting when cold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys need some help pleease!!My peugeot 306 D Turbo is being a right pain in the arse to start in the mornings or infact when the engine has gone cold! Theres power coming from the glow plugs and its fine after its started and will stop and start no bother when the engine is warm. it just turns over and over but sounds like it wants to fire at times but doesnt..and when it does start wich can be from 2-5mins (lol) theres a big cloud or grey dark grey smoke! The glow plugs look pretty new and iv changed the fuel filter...priming the primer doesnt seem to help either... as i said it starts up again when warm no bother...maybe a few turns after an hour or so... pleeease help me lol cheers !!!
I had this with my last d turbo. but it was when it was hot! Never did fix the problem, but i found that if you put jump leads on to start it, it worked straight away! Sold the car in the end!
change glow plugs and you could have a air ingress issue as well . .Smile
Could be the glow plug relay if the plugs are ok
(17-09-2013, 09:34 PM)bigtone0777 Wrote: [ -> ]Could be the glow plug relay if the plugs are ok

he said theres power at the glow plugs Smile

but that doesnt mean that the glow plugs aint buggered.

sounds classic glow plug issue. that or air ingress but if priming doesnt help and theres no obvious leaks...order some plugs
(18-09-2013, 06:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-09-2013, 09:34 PM)bigtone0777 Wrote: [ -> ]Could be the glow plug relay if the plugs are ok

I thought the relay controlled the length of time the plugs are powered up and may not be powered for long enough? My bad if not Undecided
For what they cost I'd fit a set of Bosch Duraterm glowies, cheap ones die pretty quickly. Check all the fuel lines you can find for air leaks, that greyish smoke points to air ingress to me.
(18-09-2013, 07:36 AM)bigtone0777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-09-2013, 06:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]

I thought the relay controlled the length of time the plugs are powered up and may not be powered for long enough? My bad if not Undecided

either works or doesnt work in my experience.

so if they getting voltage...then the relay 99/100 is fine
(18-09-2013, 07:47 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: [ -> ]For what they cost I'd fit a set of Bosch Duraterm glowies, cheap ones die pretty quickly. Check all the fuel lines you can find for air leaks, that greyish smoke points to air ingress to me.

This.

Bosch Duraterm's and a S5 battery makes a world of difference.
I have the only diesel in the street and there's a few, that fires up pretty much immediately in the minus temps.
cheers for the replys guys.. im pretty sure its the glow plugs aswell as when the car is hot it starts pretty much 1st turn... ill look into the advice uz have all given me at the weekend and let uz know what it is aswell.... hopefully its just the glow plugs... air ingress?? whats that???sounds bad lol.....good goin car when its not having these starting issues... mind u it is french lol
Its when your pump is dragging fuel into it, theres a gap somewhere were it drags air in aswell, obviously compressed air isnt going to run your car so it doesnt work :p
thanks tom...hopefully the weekend will be a good one for problem solving!!