306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: HUGE head/block failure on the 2.1 :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
a picture says a thousand words...so heres one:

[Image: 20130908_162105_zpsd02728b8.jpg]

it pressurises in seconds, take cap off and it bubbles like a fizzy drink constantly.

Doh Doh Doh

someone show me a high cliff. Doh
Hmmmm not good. Did you do the HG or just drop the lump in?
full rebuild, top end anyway.

duno if trying a retorque is worthwhile?

or just ring the scrap yard to come get this heap of crap
No way ! Sad really bad news. What torque settings did you use?
ones stated for the engine!

ozone rekons big airlock...im not convinced...but will need to try I suppose
You have the phase1 rad have you tried bleeding it with a header tank?
coke bottle...yeah

ive never seen bubbling like that though with an air lock
Bleed it properly and then see what it does...
bubbling like every other HG I seen go.

Head off tomorrow. At least its all been done recently. But I am very upset to say the least Doh Sad
HG,

If a cars running fine, and suddently dicked after abuse, its always a bigger issue than an airlock, you can try believeing its the stat / airlock / water pump, but 99.9% of the time, it boils down to the HG in the end.

Such a shame given the work, its likely lifted the head, torquing it again may fix it short term...but studs probs arnt up to it...
yeah I though HG immediately.

But ozone, I think trying to be nice, was trying to persuade me it was just an airlock.

Ordering new HG and bolts now Sad

oh well. life sucks

(08-09-2013, 08:43 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]If a cars running fine, and suddently dicked after abuse,

I hadnt even driven it yet!!!
Without sounding patronising.. you did remove the head properly, get it skimmed etc and completely clean the block before assembling it?

Can't think of any reason why a properly rebuilt engine would do this
(08-09-2013, 08:54 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Without sounding patronising.. you did remove the head properly, get it skimmed etc and completely clean the block before assembling it?

Can't think of any reason why a properly rebuilt engine would do this

dont abuse me...

I didnt skim it or test it. /fail.

I fail.

I'm a dumbass.

Couldnt see a reason at the time. Cant think now why i didnt though.

If I was back in Hereford I would have, only coz I could have got it done for basically a pack of beers. But Im lost round here...guna make calls tomorrow

Doh
Meh, i can't judge. I did the exact same thing with the HG change last year, we all know what happened on the way to FCS.

TBH now, unless i'm 100% confident on history of these engines, i'd always get a head skimmed before fitting.
(08-09-2013, 08:59 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Meh, i can't judge. I did the exact same thing with the HG change last year, we all know what happened on the way to FCS.

TBH now, unless i'm 100% confident on history of these engines, i'd always get a head skimmed before fitting.

I will too now Angel
Why don't you just pressure test each cylinder first? You can get a cranking tester for like £15
but I could do that and the odds are very high that its HG...so I may aswell save the money for skim/test or hg/bolts
No problem there just drash on like a boss :p 3,000 miles on I still poo coolant everywhere but never misses a beat haha

All seriousness, you know where you went wrong here Wink
That really sucks man, you just got to try and imagine how epic it will be when its done just keep picturing it and you'll get there.
thanks guys.

this needs to be on the road...work=money!!