306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Breathing advice required
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been wondering if fitting a performance air filter will reduce the coal (it's not wingnutz coal spec) on my Lucas tuned DT as I can't be arsed with the pump detune as it takes for ever to get bang-on and also wastes a pump amount of fuel every time you adjust Sad

Would the extra air help to reduce the coal and if so, which filter so I get? Can I only get cone filters as I presume I can't get a k&n replacement filters for the std air can?

Advice please chaps Smile
you presume wrong...have you searched yet for KnN replacement filters????....coz yes, they exist

bit of breathing may help but if its coaling like mad...you need more boost
(07-09-2013, 10:27 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]you presume wrong...have you searched yet for KnN replacement filters????....coz yes, they exist

bit of breathing may help but if its coaling like mad...you need more boost

I had presumed they weren't available as I've not seen one used on a ph2 DT, only cones but heard of many panel filters on hdi's. will check now Smile

Which is best though, cone or replacement filter - any particular brand or..

Nah not bus spec coal, only coal on flat down pick up Smile
Try turning the boost compensator down. All the way. No need to get fuel spilt.
then dont drive it like a petrol!!
You dont have to waste the fuel you take out the pump each time, just catch it all filter any shit out and put it back in your tank,
(07-09-2013, 10:56 PM)306pc Wrote: [ -> ]Try turning the boost compensator down. All the way. No need to get fuel spilt.

Will do, got 5 mins spare

Piggy - I drive like an old man lol but sometimes it's had to be floored around here do to the steep hills and no run up

By the time diesel has run down the oily block to the bowl, wouldn't put it back in the tank
you get something under the pump to catch before it drips down.
you still cant expect a xud even mild tuned to just pull clean when you floor it at lower rpms. gota feed the fuel in
(07-09-2013, 10:23 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: [ -> ]I've been wondering if fitting a performance air filter will reduce the coal (it's not wingnutz coal spec) on my Lucas tuned DT as I can't be arsed with the pump detune as it takes for ever to get bang-on and also wastes a pump amount of fuel every time you adjust Sad

Would the extra air help to reduce the coal and if so, which filter so I get? Can I only get cone filters as I presume I can't get a k&n replacement filters for the std air can?

lmao

Thanks for the reference, but if you're referring to the pics in my project thread, that was just the result of the decat. lol

but anyway, to echo whats been said above, you can get replacement K&N panel filters, and tbh, they're probably better than using a cone filter, as you don't suck as much hot engine air in.

Regarding the fuel pump, i use a monster can with just the very top cut off, you can just squeeze it in to the gap under the pump, and it means you lose very little diesel when you open the pump up. Also, ive found the "boost compensator" on the Lucas makes very little - if any - difference to the tune. Just wind the wastegate out a bit more on your turbo. Moar boostz FTW! Big Grin

Oh yeah, and learn the art of "progressive acceleration" as ive seen it called on here, makes a world of difference. Wink
I want to try fitting a Hdi airbox or somthing like it on my Xud
Changing the air filter probably won't do anything at all unless your current one is dirty?
(08-09-2013, 02:22 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2013, 10:23 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: [ -> ]I've been wondering if fitting a performance air filter will reduce the coal (it's not wingnutz coal spec) on my Lucas tuned DT as I can't be arsed with the pump detune as it takes for ever to get bang-on and also wastes a pump amount of fuel every time you adjust Sad

lmao

Thanks for the reference, but if you're referring to the pics in my project thread, that was just the result of the decat. lol

but anyway, to echo whats been said above, you can get replacement K&N panel filters, and tbh, they're probably better than using a cone filter, as you don't suck as much hot engine air in.

Regarding the fuel pump, i use a monster can with just the very top cut off, you can just squeeze it in to the gap under the pump, and it means you lose very little diesel when you open the pump up. Also, ive found the "boost compensator" on the Lucas makes very little - if any - difference to the tune. Just wind the wastegate out a bit more on your turbo. Moar boostz FTW! Big Grin

Oh yeah, and learn the art of "progressive acceleration" as ive seen it called on here, makes a world of difference. Wink

My decat didn't smoke that much but then again a new system went back on Smile

I've reduced the boost comp on the Lucas so we'll see if its any better

The std dt airbox is restricted by the bendy piping so i guess a hdi airbox would work...in principle? Any vac pipes etc or just air in and out of the hdi box?

(08-09-2013, 04:31 PM)martyn92 Wrote: [ -> ]Changing the air filter probably won't do anything at all unless your current one is dirty?

It's clean. Just after getting more air in to the engine but trying to keep it oem
If it still smokes give it some more turbo.
(10-09-2013, 08:24 PM)306pc Wrote: [ -> ]If it still smokes give it some more turbo.

It's off boost not on boost smoke I'd like to reduce as that affects emissions . Turbo is being held back by fuel..before I reduced it for MOT it was boosting 19psi, now 16 psi
How is it with the boost compensator down?
(10-09-2013, 09:37 PM)306pc Wrote: [ -> ]How is it with the boost compensator down?

It's slightly better, as mentioned before a DT will smoke regardless as its a mechanical fuel system. i have a cone filter coming so hopefully that will weaken the on/off boost mixture a bit Smile