306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: EGT gauge/sensor questions . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right then, the TD04 turbo i've just bought is already tapped for a EGT sensor, so i guess it would be rude not to wire one up, thing is i know not much on this subject so advice please . . . .Smile

are the sensors usually a standard thread size? .. .is this a decent gauge? . .anything else anyone wants to tell me?

Cheers, Matt . . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEPO-RACING-60...51af8bba06
Most things seem to be american, and hence a silly 1/8th npt - both my stack and auto meter egt gauges were this.

Best send the seller a msg and ask, then just have to work out what hole you've got tapped in your mani / turbo.

I ended up tapping a m12 x 1.5 hole and using an adaptor, as already had the right tap for that. - also meant it was easy to find a bolt to plug the hole when I removed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LMA-Gauge-Send...5d3f04e7cd

Beware though they're made of soft metal, so don't need to torque up very much.
(30-07-2013, 09:53 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: [ -> ]Most things seem to be american, and hence a silly 1/8th npt - both my stack and auto meter egt gauges were this.

Best send the seller a msg and ask, then just have to work out what hole you've got tapped in your mani / turbo.

I ended up tapping a m12 x 1.5 hole and using an adaptor, as already had the right tap for that. - also meant it was easy to find a bolt to plug the hole when I removed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LMA-Gauge-Send...5d3f04e7cd

Beware though they're made of soft metal, so don't need to torque up very much.

thanks for that mate, helps . . .as you say i'll have a closer look and see what size i've already got (giggidy) . . .Smile
Pretty much all EGT gauges use a K-type thermocouple so a lot of it is mix and match. Personally I use one from McGill Motorsports that only set me back about £25. Won't be the most accurate but will give a good idea of what's going on. Just make sure your wiring is top notch as the sensor wiring can be very sensitive as it measures in mV so can be susceptible to interference from other electrics, try and give it it's own 12v feed and earth to minimise interference.
(30-07-2013, 10:45 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much all EGT gauges use a K-type thermocouple so a lot of it is mix and match. Personally I use one from McGill Motorsports that only set me back about £25. Won't be the most accurate but will give a good idea of what's going on. Just make sure your wiring is top notch as the sensor wiring can be very sensitive as it measures in mV so can be susceptible to interference from other electrics, try and give it it's own 12v feed and earth to minimise interference.

cheers pal, yeah i saw that one from McGill Motorsports . . .so give it it's own feed from the battery then you're saying? . .Smile
Matt is this my old turbo? If so it did have a hks egt gauge in there may be worth taping that in to the interweb see what thread they are?
(31-07-2013, 08:22 AM)ash23 Wrote: [ -> ]Matt is this my old turbo? If so it did have a hks egt gauge in there may be worth taping that in to the interweb see what thread they are?

yes it is mate, cheers . . .Smile