306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: VNT, Whats worth getting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im having some rude thoughts about getting a vnt, but im not sure what sort of sized vnt is worth getting, it seems the smaller you go the cheaper and more common they get :/ But obviously if i buy a gt15 that makes 120hp on a vectra for example, that doesnt really leave me with much room for improvement does it? But then it would seem finding a nice gt20vnt or a 2052 or 2056 or 2556 (seen a few of those) is a bit of a pain. Gt17's seem to be plentiful but would that even be worth putting on or would i just be needing more after a week? Thanks loves
You have the right sort of idea, see what the most powerful thing its fitted to is and consider that you could get probably another 30/40% power from it.

Remember with the VNT, its not neccesariyl more BHP you will gain over non-VNT, but a much better power/torque curve and much reduced drag.

If it were me, a GT2052vnt would be my choice.
Read around vnts first mate. I feel 15/17v's would be a waste of your time and effort.
Tom,

If I was you, I wouldnt get a VNT...

Your having enough issues keeping your car on the road as it is....You were really pissed off the other day doing that HG / almost lost interest, and I promise you, the VNT will cause WAY more headaches than what you have had so far...you will need to invest more money in headstuds etc, and you will struggle to make it 100% reliable on a budget...there also very fidly to fit / setup / get working just right...

Yes the benifits are massive / id never look back, BUT i just dont think the benifits would outweigh the issues in your case.. im just being brutally honest....
And also consider a good GT****s are still damn good and a VNT system is tough to setup for the turbo boffins on here!
I have to agree with Darren, not that I know you personally but what he's saying about setting up ect they're a pain in the arse, I've searched a lot into them.
Also agree with Piggy- GT bines are the next best thing.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, you won't beat them for response and the unbelievable shove you can get, but they are problematic, I mean, just look at the problems I had when I first did it, I think the turbo came off at least 7 times in the initial setup, admittedly I knew no one else who'd done it, so I really was flying by the seat of my pants, but they are fiddly...

If you need a fit and forget conversion - something you can simply install and drive to work on monday - seriously look into Wastegated GT series... But just don't assume they're a T2 and de-wastegate them, they will blow themselves up if you de-wastegate...

If you do have your heart set on a VNT - 2052s are plentiful and cheap, you'll see a very reliable 170hp with the unbelievable torque that goes with, you'd be significantly faster real life than a 180-190hp TD04 turbo'd car... 2056s are normally early generation ones and with that size compressor on a small turbine, you'll see high exh. manifold pressures and surging very quickly - you probably wouldn't get much more out of a Gen 1 2056 than you would a 2052... 2256s are a damned good option, but prices are very variable, they came on *30d BMWs which lunch their turbos regularly, so can be expensive...

However if you fancy something that is VERY driveable, isn't horrifically powerful, but will give you an incredibly flat, linear response - a late generation 1749VA is a great option, they see 190hp or so... You may even find you can pick up a GTB1756VK for cheap, they'd be a great piece of kit on an XUD for a low down torquey engine, but after hearing you talk about VTEC engines, you're probably of the revving type, in which case, a TD04 or Wastegater GT series is probably your best bet!
breath ruan, dont forget to breeeath! lol
Its not that i want revs its just i get bored waiting for them, sometimes i just think wow if i could put my foot down now light up the wheels and hoon off into space that would be epic, hence threads like this get started. The only problem with my td04 is if i want usable power i have to be above 3krpm, thats my rule when im in the car, above that plant it below that work it up then plant it. But then i think if i get a gt series i'll miss that epic pull the td04 has up at 5k when the engine is screaming and im f*cking loving life!
Just going to jump on this thread and ask what's the fastest spooling wastegated turbo capable of 190-200bhp+? Something like a GT2052S I presume?
(28-07-2013, 10:42 PM)ste91 Wrote: [ -> ]Just going to jump on this thread and ask what's the fastest spooling wastegated turbo capable of 190-200bhp+? Something like a GT2052S I presume?

Thats a hell of a question. If you have unlimited money im sure theres a turbo out there for you.
Within reason of course, just something that spools earlier than a TD04 and is capable of at least 180bhp.
(Not for an XUD)
If its not for an xud that changes it all together, different engines suit different turbos completely differently :/
a nice GT17 off a saab would be a decent turbo I reckon.
(28-07-2013, 10:52 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-07-2013, 10:42 PM)ste91 Wrote: [ -> ]Just going to jump on this thread and ask what's the fastest spooling wastegated turbo capable of 190-200bhp+? Something like a GT2052S I presume?

Thats a hell of a question. If you have unlimited money im sure theres a turbo out there for you.

theres all the info you need, just go fishing
Just thought I'd put my 2 pence in.

Going from a K14 which you literally have to keep strangling its neck to keep it on boost through the gears, I took the plunge and bought a GT22 VNT.

Indeed I agree with the cornish farmer and the tall ginger....they are a pig to setup up and the amount of times I had the turbo on and off the block was at least half a dozen. Was close to the point of sacking it off and selling it due to getting really annoyed with it. Then once it was together and holding its boost back (had major problems of it pinning a 30 psi boost gauge) it was an absolute animal even at the first 15psi.

Its still not right and needs a few tweaks and like Darren says you need to be adjusting and fiddling all the time to get them setup correct. Mine at the moment will pull fairly well but then backs right off the power once you reach the higher revs.

This probably hasn't helped but I am a believer in a newer generation, efficient turbos. They spool really well. Depends on your diving style. For me its early spoolers and not having to rev the engine off the gauge (though it is nice from time to time).

Good luck with your decision though!
Can I just say.. my turbo is awesome. But.. it needed a bigger pump to wake it up. No reason why it wouldn't make 180-190bhp on a bigger pump if you pushed it. Midrange is epic though, even running veg and with no LDA connected in economy mode, Jonny's HDi estate was struggling to keep up until I ran out of fuel and he came on boost. Hence the term "faster in the real world".

It's no drag animal but it's so torquey low down, personally for what I do with the car I don't think I need the headache of VNT.
Guess im gonna have to go twin turbo :/ I want low down and high up powaaaaa. Im so greedy.
supercharger

/thread
Thats a good shout actually haha, Can you get like 10/15 psi from a supercharger though? that would be mental, then the td04 gets going at 3k and your hooning Wink
For all the hassle it is twin turbo would be easier and better. Tongue
So now buy a smaller turbo and weld it to the bigger one and drash on?
(29-07-2013, 04:50 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]So now buy a smaller turbo and weld it to the bigger one and drash on?

Why not? As long as there isn't any oil or boost leakages it'll be all good regardless of how pretty it is on the eye. Tongue
there is a compound turbo project on here, pretty epic.

But it depends on what you mean by twin turbo, a small one then a big one to take over, or compound where the small one simply spools the big one

Either way, big wins and grins!
Why do i find myself researching twin turbo setups? Lol
It was only 2 weeks ago you were telling me how you literally cant cope with the level of unrelibility / expense / issues...and now your cnsidering twin blowing it... Seriously chap, i promise you, go any further than you already have, and it WILL get worse without serious investment...im just being totally honest with you...
No harm in looking Sad
Mega high boost and or twin turbo and I think you have to consider running two cars, one standard for day to day reliability.
Or fit a 2.1 Wink