306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: 106 nad oil choice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I no this is not an xud but there close..... sort of lol

Any way i have been putting 5-40 fully synthetic oil in it every 5,000miles

But some one on 106moaners put "expect to see you bottom end bearings going very soon"

So now im worried my engine is going to die soon lol

Please tell me this guy is talking utter shite??
What is it meant to have?

I only did a service on mine once and we just used whatever was at the bus garage we were servicing it in lol but I was under the impression that fully synthetic is more for modern engines. I know I've heard about 5-40 fully synth making DT's and HDi's leak but then they are old so likely to leak regardless.
The correct oil for the engine, apparently fully synth makes the vvc mechanism fail on the mg so you have to stick with semi synth. Semi isn't bad anyway and can be cheaper
i believe its superposed to be 10-40 semi synthetic, didnt think that by putting a better quality oil in it would cause any damage??
It's a different grade though, doesn't necessarily mean better quality. You could stick with what it needs but just buy a better brand. You can probably buy Smart Price 5-40, doesn't make it good lol
just use 10w/40 semi. its no mega boosted machine...keep it simple
(27-07-2013, 12:11 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a different grade though, doesn't necessarily mean better quality. You could stick with what it needs but just buy a better brand. You can probably buy Smart Price 5-40, doesn't make it good lol

I'm saying surely fully synthetic is better than semi synthetic, not on about brands/ the grade.
not always...old classics cant stand synth.

follow pugs recomendations
10W/40 mate
Ask in the Opie Oils thread?
so how i see it is, it has better cold protection over the 10-40 (lower first number 5 meaning better cold protection?) and being fully synthetic so better quality oil?

Dont see how that can cause issues if im giving it better protection.

Tbh first time i hurd this so i have no idea probably wrong but if i am next time its due will just put the 10-40 in its supposed to have.
No the lowest number at the beginning is the oil's cold viscosity (lower being thinner oil)
So on a cold engine your oil will be thinner, and on a slack old engine your thinner oil might not make decent pressure.

Why not stick in a thicker oil, which should increase the oil pressure on cold running.
Just stick any old shite in man, it'll be fiiiiiine
10w40 semi will be fine as there is no way youll be hurting the oil in a nad engine and the XUDs arent keen on synth (i know yours is TUD)

5w40 just means its a little thinner when cold (untill the engine is warm)
(28-07-2013, 03:10 PM)samass Wrote: [ -> ]Just stick any old shite in man, it'll be fiiiiiine

Ha ha ha you would say that Wink

(28-07-2013, 04:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]10w40 semi will be fine as there is no way youll be hurting the oil in a nad engine and the XUDs arent keen on synth (i know yours is TUD)

5w40 just means its a little thinner when cold (untill the engine is warm)

Will go to the 10-40 when it's ready for a change, but is the 5-40 causing any damage to the engine? If it is Will get it done sooner