306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Is my dtub gonna runaway ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my dtub that I can't work out, if left on idle for say 10-20mins so it gets nice and hot when you go to drive it it will rev it's tits off with a very loud diesel knock and white smoke, this does stop at around 3k and revs do die back down. After which everything is normal unless left to idle for a long period of time again. My first thought was that oil was passing past a worn turbo seal when oil was warm but I'm now not to sure, iv also found diesel in my boost pipe from intercooler to compensator. Also I don't know if related but my turbo now drops pressure at 3200k by about 3-5psi (may pos be a boost leak), dont know if this will help but its got a Lucas pump ( yeah I know needs changing to Bosch lol already on list) and a garret gt15 turbo.
Thanks for any advice in advance Smile
(01-07-2013, 07:30 PM)An1mal06 Wrote: [ -> ]Is my dtub gonna runaway ?

Not if you don't fit a laguna push start button...
If theres diesel in the compensator pipe you need to get that sorted, like now, or maybe tomorrow. But when that goes bad things will get very ugly very fast. Not something you want to wait til it actually breaks then fix. Fix it now before you need a new engine.
Is it possible that the diesel in the compensator is causing the massive rev up after idling ? Maybe fuel getting in to intercooler ect ?
defo, for sure.

sounds like leaky compensator seal
Yes its fuel getting into the engine not via your foot control. So as you can imagine when it gets worse... bye bye engine!
Thanks for all the help guys think it def pumps going south, got hold of a good pump so il swap pump and see if prob persists ect praying its just the pump not turbo seal aswell Confused
Also if you don't know how to stop a run-away engine, learn now...

Foot on brake as hard as you can, into 4th and pull the clutch up fairly rapidly (but don't drop it, you could smash it to bits and then it's bye bye engine too). That's the only way you will stop the engine. Turning the key off will do NOTHING.
Or if the bonnet is up shove a rag down the inlet

Or if youre driving...find a wall haha
Covering the inlet would be most effective, otherwise 4th or 5th and drop the clutch and prey it grips and doesnt just slip and eat itself.
I have just fixed mine for doing the very same; it revved its balls off on a dual carriageway exiting a traffic island----neat fuel had been in the intercooler (via the vacpipe to pump) and when I turned right it sloshed down to the left---into the inlet manifold !!!
2nd hand diaphragm off a bx engine now fitted and does about 3-4 mpg more now its not leaking !!
Lol, if your engine is running away, by the time you've popped the bonnet, gotten out, shoved a rag down the air intake pipe, the engine will be history...

Remember if it's running away with neat fuel or oil, it's going to start spinning the turbo, which will whip up all that oil/diesel in the intercooler, soon as it does that, you've got vapourised Diesel just chilling in the inlet tract - it's going to go until it explodes, and VERY quickly... Oil is slightly better for it, but if you've got pure Diesel there, you've got a matter of split seconds from it running, to slight knocking, to screaming its tits off past 6k on the gauge... There's no rev limiter to stop it, nothing...

IMO Do NOT drive it...
Sounds like turbo seal, fuel can't get from the pump unto the lda unless somethings seriously wrong with your pump Liie someone's taken a drill to it. The oil in that pipe will most likely be diesel/oily mix from your sump.
(02-07-2013, 08:52 PM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like turbo seal, fuel can't get from the pump unto the lda unless somethings seriously wrong with your pump Liie someone's taken a drill to it. The oil in that pipe will most likely be diesel/oily mix from your sump.

On a Lucas it can quite easily get in!
It's def got neat diesel in the pipe from compensator to intercooler, I can also see its gone up my boost gauge pipe Confused clearly the pumps gone south so getting changed asap hopfuly tomoz weather permitting, but do you guys think this is the reason for the run away after its been sat idling for a while ? If it helps its done it a few times and first time It did it i turned key off and it stopped it which made me think its not turbo seal but pump related, is there any easy way to check turbo seal ?
(02-07-2013, 09:01 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2013, 08:52 PM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like turbo seal, fuel can't get from the pump unto the lda unless somethings seriously wrong with your pump Liie someone's taken a drill to it. The oil in that pipe will most likely be diesel/oily mix from your sump.

On a Lucas it can quite easily get in!

I forgot people are still in the stoneage haha! The price and availability of people willing to bang them on for cheaps there's no excuse!