306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Aux Belt and Tensioners on A/C XUD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will be changing my PAS pump tomorrow and have a question about the tensioners, spring loaded ones as not used one before. It's an A/C engine, albeit with the A/C removed. PAS pump is on the top.

Had a look at the Haynes manual and it says it a spring loaded tensioner, do I need a square drive socket to move this or could I use something else? If I do need a square drive, what size?

In regards to locking it off after moving, could I just stick a bolts that fits in there?

Trip to Halfords/Machine Mart will be on the cards if I can't use something else.
IIRC it's either a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive, just use your ratchet? And yeah just shove anything in that fits to lock it off
Cheers. I wasn't sure if it had to be something like those square bits you get for drain plugs.
Nah my ratchet fit in my tensioner absolutely fine on the GTi, i'd assume the tensioners are all similar
Pretty sure it's the biggest of the three normal ratchet sizes... , I used a breaker bar to make it a lot easier to move.
3/8 ratchet, also little hole in inner wing to put extension through (inbetween powersteering pipes)
Possible to do without jacking the car up? Such a ball ache when you're low.
i think your going to struggle without jacking the car up as you kinda need the drivers side wheel to be off and the wheelarch liner to get at the aux belt, im sure you could do it without but it would be a PITA.

big breaker bar is an essential tool for the tensioner, and topmount intercooler bolts are the right size for locking it off.

are you just changing the pas pump or you going to relocate it to underneath the alternator like the d8a setup?
Just changing, it seems fine where it is, other than the seal going meaning it's sprayed fluid everywhere on that side of the engine. Might need to de-grease while I'm there as right now it's greasier than an XUD should be, which is saying something.
yeah power steering fluid makes a right mess, get some truck engine degreaser on there and jetwash it
You can do it on the ground, when the HDI was in the car I changed the aux belt and power steering pump on that with the car reversed in the garage!

It's slightly fiddly but IMO much easier than jacking the car up and removing a wheel!
Did youmget the pump? ??
Yep, got it last night. Just eating breakfast then will be out to fit it.
OK. Mate that's good news hope it was packaged well and not to much selotape lol Big Grin
We're allowed to use scissors in Kent to the sellotape wasn't an issue Tongue

All changed now and the spring tensioner is an awkward f*ck.