306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Low boost?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I did a service and replaced a few things

Oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Glow plugs
Injector leak offs
Cam and sump gaskets
New d seal

Fitted a boost guage, and took it for a spin, but only got 8 psi.. I'm not sure if I have any leaks. Is that psi normal, I have a unmodified boost pump aswell
An unmodified boost pump? lol

Boost leaks fo' shizzle. Should be 12-14psi standard. Any idea how old the manifold gaskets are, or if the manifolds have been off at any point? Check all the nuts are done up tight for a start.

D seal definitely seated correctly?

Is it smoking on boost? If not, could be a fuelling issue
Bosch, damn autocorrect. Unfortunately I don't have any history on the car. Decided to give it a chance and try and bring it back from the chavvy mess some doushe bag left it in. I didn't put any dew clips on the t piece but they all felt Snugg and tight. Before the service it was dog shit had no pull what so ever. And now it feels like a new car the difference is that steep.

I will try the manifold bolts. What about the intake, it has some cone filter and the black pipe the conefilter is attached to, is just slotted into the air intake black pipe that runs round the back on the intercooler. If that is not completely sealed would that effect boost?
Nah, wouldn't affect boost unless the inlet is majorly restrictive. How big is the cone? If it's a crappy small Halfords jobby, chuck it in the bin. Try running without a filter just in case it's causing a restriction, you never know.

What exhaust is fitted?
It has a decat with a midbox and then a peco backbox 2inch lip, it's not big.
However when I was at Kwik fit the other day trying to find out what's clicking, we noticed the flange where it mounts to the turbo only had 1 bolt on one side.. So we fitted a bolt but and washer on the other side.

Yeh it's a proper shit universal filter. The tip of the cone is forced to sit up against the top radiator hose so I'm sure that hot hose isn't helping airflow
Yeah would only cause issues under heatsoak conditions though, would still make boost just f*ck all power. The flange not being bolted on tight wouldnt cause a restriction as such either.

If you plant your foot and hold it on boost, is it smoking?
Tbh I fitted the guage and then took it for a spin but my eye was fixed on the guage and I didn't notice any smoke. It use to smoke crazy on start ups and I use to be able to see a haze of smoke when booting it but very faint at best. Only in the evenings when people headlights where on. Haven't noticed said smoke since service and it doesn't smoke on start anymore either.
Hmm, could be a fuelling issue then, if it was only making 8psi even on standard fuelling you'd almost definitely see smoke. How does the engine actually run? Does it feel lumpy or anything? Struggle to idle?

You could try turning the fuel up a bit and see if the boost increases. Basically if it's burning clean on boost, your turbo's producing enough air to burn all the fuel. If there's not much fuel going in, there won't be much boost made.

When you boot it, does the gauge pin at 8psi for the whole rev range or gradually climb to 8psi?
Enine runs sound, even better now serviced.
As soon as I hit boost It pings rights up to 8psi and holds there till I come off the throttle.
Dont rule out just a dodgy sensor line for the boost gauge... 8psi would be ridiculously slow.
Nah this def has pick up. I have had 2l gti golfs and feels as quick as them. How can I sort that. Apart from getting another line?
Sounds like its the line thats your issue, where are you running it. Start by running a temp one out the bonnet/through the window so theres no chance of it getting crushed, then you can get an actual true reading.
(19-05-2013, 09:27 AM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like its the line thats your issue, where are you running it. Start by running a temp one out the bonnet/through the window so theres no chance of it getting crushed, then you can get an actual true reading.

A temp one that ends up permanent a-la Dave?
It's on the boost compensator pipe, the t peice bore isn't that big compared to the hose but it fits nug. Also the. Boost guage hose diameter is ruffly 4mm boar? Would that give untrue results? And the T peice reducing the compensator hose, would that have an effect?

Also just been out it read 8psi and I got 9 psi and even 10 but in different gears at different times

And it doesn't smoke on boost. Bit of smoke on first start up and a little on next start up.

It not getting crushed and is through a man made hole in the bulk head which is quite large and it popped in my consol tray just so I can get the readings
I think you always get slightly more boost at top end of 3rd/4th at least I do anyway.
May have a small leak. Will get higher boost in the higher gears. I'd up the fueling mate, like i saw it looked like it hadn't been touched.

Welcome to give you a hand mate.