306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: veg perished pump causing stalling?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
right its not an xud but still an idi diesel so hoping I may be able to get some good input.

car in question is my suzuki sj and the engine is a isuzu 1.7td (4ee1) from a vauxhall cavalier.

bit of history picked up the truck and was running, drove on and off the trailer, after sitting idling fr a minute it cut out, shortly after I found the snorkel had rather a lot of water in it, but I don't think any entered the engine, as does run fine now when it goes.

found the fuel pipe from the lift pump had split so replaced/ fixeded them all up, now it will run for a few minutes lovely and then stall as if starving from fuel.

I'm unsure if perished fuel pump seal would cause this, or fuel filter blocked to f*ck meaning when left with just lift pump priming up for a minute it runs and then when running can't suck enough through to run for long?

It was run on veg before I bought it but sat up for a year half really getting confused now as to whats causing it any ideas would be awesome!
anyone got any ideas?
Get a pressure gauge on it, or see if it stalls when you are priming it.
(24-04-2013, 08:17 AM)Dave Wrote: [ -> ]Get a pressure gauge on it, or see if it stalls when you are priming it.

you mean on the pump?

no way to prime it, has a lift pump but no grenade, will see if I can find one in my shed of parts though, good thinking.

last time I kept opening the throttle to keep it running, more and more and more, until it eventually gave up. is definitely fuel just not sure where, pumps a bastard to get to on these engines too
Quote:pumps a bastard to get to on these engines too

amen to that. i had a cavalier with that engine....complete PITA to get at.

Could you just have a separate can and feed right into the pump at all? would tell if it runs ok then.
xud9 conversion to solve?! Wink

on a serious simple note, has the fuel filter been changed?

and try putting in some clear fuel pipe to watch for air ingress
(24-04-2013, 02:11 PM)mr_fish Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:pumps a bastard to get to on these engines too

amen to that. i had a cavalier with that engine....complete PITA to get at.

Could you just have a separate can and feed right into the pump at all? would tell if it runs ok then.

Mines inline though so a hell of a lot easier than it is in a cavalier Smile

(24-04-2013, 03:21 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]xud9 conversion to solve?! Wink

on a serious simple note, has the fuel filter been changed?

and try putting in some clear fuel pipe to watch for air ingress

That is a common swap in these so it has crossed my mind!

Not changed it but removed it and it is pretty bad, but I'm to poor to even afford a new one right now, will pick up some pipe at same time and see if I can see anything there to
Drop my mtdi in Joe, you know it makes sence.

LOL
I'll drop it round on a trailer for the conversion yeah? :p
so this is what the fuel filter looks like, notice this is not the colour it should be, see the part where I have scraped off the crud, think this may have something to do with it?!

what do you reckon? lol

[Image: IMG_20130424_194541.jpg]

as soon as I get paid will be getting a new one and slapping it on along with a service, hopefully should be right on again Smile
Sounds like it may be sucking in air...

Wait, you have an SJ?!?! Giz a go when I come down!
hopefully when you come down it should be playng nicely, but its still dieing after a new filter, so going to get the pump off tomorrow, although I'm not too sure where to look.

just as soon as it starts to get warm it dies, pita!
If you need a new pump I've got one I might part with...
not sure it'd be the same as xud pump? I mean I know they're both bosch ve but I'm guessing still be different?
Oh, sorry, just re read the start of the thread. Thought it'd be an XUD knowing you, yeah it would be different I would have thought...
I reckon internals can most likely be swapped over, think I need to take it off as I reckon sitting with veg in it for a year + plus may have done some damage.

shame they're not fully interchangeable as I have an xud bosch sitting here waiting to go on the 205